BeoLink Converter 1611 Innovative Configurations

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions BeoLink Converter 1611 Innovative Configurations

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 411 total)
  • Author
    matador
      • Paris France
      • Topics Started 48
      • Total Posts 689

Hi guys,

I’m still there following in the dark, but you’re now far beyond what I understand from dark protocols.

Godspeed.

Madskp
        • Denmark
        • Topics Started 53
        • Total Posts 609

Hi guys, I’m still there following in the dark, but you’re now far beyond what I understand from dark protocols. Godspeed.

Great to hear that you are still on board with this thread 🙂

I don’t know the inner workings of these protocols either, but I think I am getting more of an idea as to when which connections and protocols are used for what.

This setup I made can actually be compared to this scenario for the ML Handbook

Skærmbillede 2023-02-11 kl. 20.08.08

Just in this case the Beomaster in the stack has been replaced by the MCL2 AV. The connection between the Beolink converter 1611 and the Aux/TV connector on the Beomaster/MCL2AV is 7 Pin datalink (the Audio Aux link version of it), and the connection between the Beomaster/MCL2AV and the components (CD, TAPE, PHONO) is 7 Pin datalink (the Audio link version of it).

I think you can compare the MCL2 AV to a stripped down Beomaster with no power amplifier, no radio, and no fancy shell, but with the added capability to receive MCL2 signals from a Beomaster and transform them to Line out signals for Powerlink.

Hope I didn’t confuse you more

Guy
        BRONZE Member
          • Warwickshire, UK
          • Topics Started 16
          • Total Posts 1,044

Today I tried to connect a powerlink cable from the MCL2AV to the 1611 as well as the datalink cable. Pressing play on the Beocord didn’t make the TV turn on.

Did you try various option settings? I see from the MCL Handbook that older versions of the MCL2AV have double option settings: You set L.OPT 0, 1 or 2 and then L.OPT 5 of 6 in addition. These are then expressed in the manual as L.OPT 1.5 etc, with factory (default) being L.OPT 2.5.

It seem that the IR sensor on the MCL2AV is disabled when a connection with a TV is made on the Aux socket. Having the IR sensor connected to MCL2AV I tried blocking the TV’s IR sensor resulting in no control. When I removed the blocking all control was there again. When I use the MCL2AV stand alone the IR sensor work fine. This result corrospond fine with the description from the MCL2 installation Manual.

I find this a bit strange because I have seen setups in the manual where PL speakers are connected direct to the MCL2AV and there is also a linked TV. Also the last note in the paragraph from the manual said that addition of a sensor would allow operation via MCP.

Did you try the TV in V.OPT 0 so you don’t need to cover the sensor (and this might make the TV behave differently.) Again you could try different Options on the MCL2AV.

I both scenarios I tried both the Shift Radio 6 and 7 on both the Tape and the CD connector but no go. The BC6 is starting up when I use the combination, but dont know if its just taking the Radio command and open the right connections in the 1611.

If SHIFT is pressed first, then then is a single SHIFT RADIO IR transmission (the same command as A.AUX), so it looks like the TV is responding to this, but not the digit that follows (6 or 7).

IMPORTANT EDIT:  On Beo4, you cannot use SHIFT RADIO because the required A.AUX command can be added to LIST.   Thus on the Beo4 you select A.AUX, press GO and then 6 or 7.

It all looks straightforward when just connecting boxes together, but when you look at all the permutations of software levels, option settings and remote button sequences it all gets a bit complicated! I am looking forward to having a play next week, probably sing my OneRemote Radio as a datalink source connected to MCL2AV TAPE or CD socket.

Madskp
            • Denmark
            • Topics Started 53
            • Total Posts 609

A little more testing today. I didn’t know what option setting the MCL2AV had, so tried to set it to option 1 and now the Shift + Radio + 6 or 7 works for activation the tape and CD input when a datalink source isn’t present. For some reason once in a while I am able to activate the CD input with the CD button, but sound will only come through for 5-10 seconds and the cut out. Don’t know what that is about, but is shouldn’t work at all according to the documentation.

Also tried the AV + TV command described in the MCL2 user manual. According to that it should shift the sound from the TV speakers to the powerlink outputs of the MCL2AV and vice versa.

In my case the TV speakers are default. when I press the AV + TV combination the sound will play on both the TV speakers and the powerlink outputs of the MCL2AV. Pressing it again does nothing. So not really working as described for some reason.

When the MCL2AV is stand alone without the connection to the 1611 and the TV the AV+TV command open the AUX/TV input for sound.

In my

Guy
            BRONZE Member
              • Warwickshire, UK
              • Topics Started 16
              • Total Posts 1,044

I am not sure how relevant it is, but the ‘SHIFT RADIO’ followed by a number (or AUX followed by a number), is also used by other B&O eqpt to select various aux inputs. For instance, or my BC9500 I can select the following from its front panel:

AUX 1 – TV
              AUX 2 – V.TAPE
              AUX 3 – SAT (or DTV)
              AUX 4 – CDV (or DVD)
              AUX 5 – V.TAPE.2
              AUX 8 – MICROPHONE

Given that 6 and 7 are missing, it would seem logical that they have been allocated to the MCL2AV input sockets.

Madskp
                • Denmark
                • Topics Started 53
                • Total Posts 609

Did you try various option settings? I see from the MCL Handbook that older versions of the MCL2AV have double option settings: You set L.OPT 0, 1 or 2 and then L.OPT 5 of 6 in addition. These are then expressed in the manual as L.OPT 1.5 etc, with factory (default) being L.OPT 2.5.

Seems I will have to dive deeper into these option settings. only read about it in the MCL2 installation manual, but he MCL handbook might have more info.

I find this a bit strange because I have seen setups in the manual where PL speakers are connected direct to the MCL2AV and there is also a linked TV. Also the last note in the paragraph from the manual said that addition of a sensor would allow operation via MCP. Did you try the TV in V.OPT 0 so you don’t need to cover the sensor (and this might make the TV behave differently.) Again you could try different Options on the MCL2AV.

I didn’t try the TV in option 0, but will defenetly try that for my next test run. And you are right about the thing with the MCP, but could it be that it will only react to commands from that? As far as I know it only works with certain products.

If SHIFT is pressed first (or showing on Beo4 display) then then is a single SHIFT RADIO IR transmission (the same command as A.AUX), so it looks like the TV is responding to this, but not the digit that follows (6 or 7).

Got that sorted out. our answers crossed each other.

It all looks straightforward when just connecting boxes together, but when you look at all the permutations of software levels, option settings and remote button sequences it all gets a bit complicated! I am looking forward to having a play next week, probably sing my OneRemote Radio as a datalink source connected to MCL2AV TAPE or CD socket.

No there are many quirks. I am happy though that it worked as a proof of concept on my first try so I didn’t gave up on it too early

Guy
                BRONZE Member
                  • Warwickshire, UK
                  • Topics Started 16
                  • Total Posts 1,044

I am happy though that it worked as a proof of concept on my first try so I didn’t gave up on it too early

Yes it’s a great discovery! I’ll probably test MCL2AV to BL1611 to BL3500 first to see what the similarities are, and then introduce the OneRemote radio.

Madskp
                    • Denmark
                    • Topics Started 53
                    • Total Posts 609

Todays testing was with mixed results

I have read up on the option settings in the Masterlink handbook, both the older one called System Manual 89 90 Master Control Link 2, and the newer Master Control Link handbook.

This was only mentioned in the older of the 2 manuals. In the newer one option programming of MCL2AV wasn’t even mentioned, even though it is shown in setups with af TV. But i might be because the Option 2.5 covers most use cases as it also defaults to option 2 when the IR eye is not present (which might be true in many cases when a TV is also present in the same room).

I tried a little back and forth with option settings with mixed results. I think I will have to to a more controlled testing where I take notes for the different scenarios.

What I really cant figure is if the TV should  have option 5 as a Link TV or option 2, as it’s not a link TV in this setup. I haven’t had any luck with the TV in option 1. It seems like I loose all control, but will try it again in next test being sure that both the MCL2AV and the TV is in option 1.

I am not sure how relevant it is, but the ‘SHIFT RADIO’ followed by a number (or AUX followed by a number), is also used by other B&O eqpt to select various aux inputs. For instance, or my BC9500 I can select the following from its front panel: AUX 1 – TV AUX 2 – V.TAPE AUX 3 – SAT (or DTV) AUX 4 – CDV (or DVD) AUX 5 – V.TAPE.2 AUX 8 – MICROPHONE

It’s highly relevant. In one of my test’s today (dont remember the option settings, have to take notes) I could use AV + TV to turn on the PL output of the MCL2AV and Shift + Radio + 7 to switch back to sound on only TV.

Guy
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Warwickshire, UK
                      • Topics Started 16
                      • Total Posts 1,044

I have just started to do some testing with MCL2AV.

The first thing I realised (after several false starts!) is that the ‘SHIFT RADIO’ command does not work on the Beo4. I was trying to get an MCL2AV to work stand-alone but couldn’t get the CD or TAPE inputs to activate with Beo4. In my frustration I dug out a good old BL1000 and it worked perfectly!

Then I remembered that Beo4 won’t let you use SHIFT functions if the transmission can be done more simply. Given that A.AUX can be added to the LIST button, what you have to do with the Beo4 is use LIST to find A.AUX, press GO and then press 6 or 7. It was annoying that I forgot this earlier, and I will amend one of my earlier posts accordingly.

The next thing I noticed is that the MCL2 Handbook has the SHIFT RADIO 6 and SHIFT RADIO 7 the wrong way around. SHIFT RADIO 6 is the TAPE input and SHIFT RADIO 7 is CD.

I have now switched to an older MCL2AV Type 2020 SW1.3 (same as Madskp’s) and am trying to experiment with connecting from the AUX socket to BL1611 and then BL3500. I too am getting a bit confused with Option settings hence will try to get a little better organised before reporting back here.

For some reason once in a while I am able to activate the CD input with the CD button, but sound will only come through for 5-10 seconds and the cut out. Don’t know what that is about, but is shouldn’t work at all according to the documentation.

I too have already experienced this from both CD and A.TAPE. It seems as if the MCL2AV will play it for a while until is realises that there is no datalink-compatible product connected.

More later.

Madskp
                        • Denmark
                        • Topics Started 53
                        • Total Posts 609
                        Great to hear. Allways better with som ping pong about it.

The next thing I noticed is that the MCL2 Handbook has the SHIFT RADIO 6 and SHIFT RADIO 7 the wrong way around. SHIFT RADIO 6 is the TAPE input and SHIFT RADIO 7 is CD.

Ok, didn’t notice that, but it is also correct stated in the MCL user manual, so that must have been there I noted it in the first place. Btw. do you remember what commands you used when you had the stand alone stup with your computer? Was it the same you used?

I too have already experienced this from both CD and A.TAPE. It seems as if the MCL2AV will play it for a while until is realises that there is no datalink-compatible product connected.

Somehow glad to hear that you have the same experience. I was beginning to think if my MCL2AV had other defects than the one in the power circuit. It may be that it is waiting for some kind of handshake with the datalink source. Could also be related to the MCP  comptability where it needs some information back to the remote.

I didn’t get to test anything today, but I started up on a preview for test scheme in a spreadsheet. I attached it to this post. There are many combinations with the different options, but some may be ruled out beforehand as no go. I am open for inputs and corrections.

For one thing I didn’t take the link option 6 in it as it seems to have something to do with VCR in the main room.

I probably won’t make any tests on this setup tomorrow as I go to visit my parents. But that also means I get to test the Beocord 3500 with their Beosound 1 to see if there is any hidden link capability there. If there is I will start a new thread on that subject.

Guy
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Warwickshire, UK
                          • Topics Started 16
                          • Total Posts 1,044

Btw. do you remember what commands you used when you had the stand alone stup with your computer? Was it the same you used?

I only had a BL1000 back then, so I just used SHIFT RADIO 6. I only used it like that for a few months before replacing with a Beoport.

Thanks for the useful spreadsheet – that’ll be great to help organise my Beolab 3500 experiments. I think I will also use a longer ML cable to put one of the devices in a separate room. I think that I will need to do this because using L.OPT 0 (IR-off) or L.OPT 4 (link-only) may change other behaviour.

I note from the Handbook that the MCL2AV defaults to L.OPT 2 if you remove the IR transceiver, so I may also look at that in more detail when I have the BL3500 and MCL2AV in the same room. (EDIT: I just noticed that you’d already mentioned this anomaly!)

I’ll also try the OneRemote Radio and my DVD1 with modified SCART to Aux cable as inputs into the MCL2AV to see if they can be controlled either directly or via the BL1611/BL3500.

Good luck with the BeoSound 1 test!

Madskp
                            • Denmark
                            • Topics Started 53
                            • Total Posts 609

I think I will also use a longer ML cable to put one of the devices in a separate room. I think that I will need to do this because using L.OPT 0 (IR-off) or L.OPT 4 (link-only) may change other behaviour.

I’am also thinking that maybe I should make an extension for my 1.5m ML Y cable just to be able to get distance between the IR receivers.

I’ll also try the OneRemote Radio and my DVD1 with modified SCART to Aux cable as inputs into the MCL2AV to see if they can be controlled either directly or via the BL1611/BL3500.

I think you already tried the DVD1 with the MCL2AV in this thread https://archivedforum2.beoworld.co.uk/forums/p/45162/327485.aspx#327485, and on the Aux port of your BC9500. In both cases it’s is Audio Aux Link, so it might be communicating with that which makes sense as its a video product and should use Audio link. However as fas as I can see you didn’t have luck controlling it via direct connection with the 1611 here https://beoworld.org/forums/topic/beolab-3500-and-1611-converter-settings/page/8/#post-14333

Could be fun to see if the Shift + Radio + 4  command is activating it on the MCL2AV’s Aux port though.

Good luck with the BeoSound 1 test!

Thanks. Did try it today, but no luck, no control of the Beocord 3500, even though the command is A.MEM from the remote to activate the Aux of the BS1. It might be that the BS1 was just over engineered hardware wise, but never got the proper software to support this hardware.

Guy
                            BRONZE Member
                              • Warwickshire, UK
                              • Topics Started 16
                              • Total Posts 1,044

Thanks Mads – some useful reminders above of things that I have tested in the past and had forgotten about!  I was just about to post some results from today but have just amended them slightly to incorporate that info and the SHIFT RADIO 4 suggestion.

As you are about to see, I didn’t try the longer ML lead two-room test yet but may try that later in the week.

And thanks for trying the BS1 datalink – yes it is a little frustrating that there could just be some SW missing!

More to follow …

Guy
                              BRONZE Member
                                • Warwickshire, UK
                                • Topics Started 16
                                • Total Posts 1,044

As just mentioned, I did some testing today with mixed results…

MCL2AV STAND-ALONE:

First I re-tested the MCL2AV in stand-alone mode in order to form a baseline prior to connecting to BL1611 and BL3500.  I tested both of my MCL2AVs, one Type 2020 SW1.3 and the other Type 2023 SW 2.3.  Initially I had IR sensors and PL speaker connected.

Some results:

• In all L.OPT settings (other than 0) SHIFT RADIO 6 and 7 work to open TAPE and CD inputs respectively as expected.
                                • The MCL2AV needs to be in L.OPT 1.X for AV + TV to open the AUX input.  In fact, AV then any video source will open the AUX input)
                                • When in stand-by, pressing MUTE does not start the last source (I think it would if it were part of a fully functional MCL system).

OneRemote Radio Connection:

I then setup my OneRemote Radio to respond to A.TAPE datalink commands, and connected to MCL2AV’s TAPE socket.  The result: It switches on and can be controlled but there is no sound!  I can then get sound by then pressing SHIFT RADIO 6 but this is far from ideal.  The same result happens when set to respond to CD or PHONO commands and moved to the CD socket.  I tried every possible L.OPT.

So I think that the MCL2AV doesn’t recognise the OneRemote radio as ‘proper’ Datalink and therefore won’t keep the TAPE (or CD) input open – the data receive light on the OneRemote flashes randomly even when MCL2AV is at stand-by, as if it is being interrogated and failing!

DVD1:

Note: Madskp has just reminded me that I tried the following back in Jan 2021 as reported here:  https://archivedforum2.beoworld.co.uk/forums/p/45162/326789.aspx#326789

I then tried connecting my DVD1 (with modified SCART to 7-pin DIN) to the AUX socket.  Witht the MCL2AV in L.OPT 1.X, the DVD1 could be selected using AV DVD (or AV SHIFT SAT on BL1000) and full control was possible to skip through CD tracks. It did however need a long press on the remote Off button to ensure that the DVD player went to stand-by.  (Note: SHIFT RADIO 4 did not open the AUX input or start the DVD1 – I hadn’t tried this before).

Hence it would seem that I need to connect a ‘proper’ datalink compatible device to the MCL2AV input sockets, such as BeoCord.  Unfortunately I don’t have anything easily available to try.

Next stage in new post …

Guy
                                BRONZE Member
                                  • Warwickshire, UK
                                  • Topics Started 16
                                  • Total Posts 1,044

Continued from above …

CONNECTION TO BL1611 and BL3500:

I then connected the MCL2AV AUX socket to the BL1611 AAL and then ML to my BeoLab 3500.  Here, results started to get a bit mixed …

Firstly, there was no useful functionality with the BL3500 in L.OPT 0 – it was impossible to trigger the BL3500 via the MCL2AV/BL1611 combination.  (I didn’t yet try adding a PL cable between MCL2AV and BL1611.)

Next I tried numerous combinations of L.OPTs on both MCL2AV and BL3500.  Basically I was trying to select the TAPE and CD inputs from the BL3500 using SHIFT RADIO 6 and 7.  This resulted in lots of system lockups during testing, even when I tried the MCL2AV in L.OPT 0.  Although it sometimes worked as expected there was no consistency of results and it became very frustrating!  I often had to unplug/power-down everything to clear the system.  I was using all the eqpt in one room, shielding IR sensors when inputting Option settings to a single device.

Next I experimented with disconnecting the MCL2AV’s IR sensor, remembering that this causes it to default to L.OPT2 according to the manual.  With the BL3500 as the only IR sensor, control and consistency became much more straightforward.

Basically with the BL3500 in L.OPT 1, 2, 5 or 6 it was possible to use SHIFT RADIO 6 or 7 to select correct MCL2AV input (TAPE or CD).  It was not possible to select these inputs directly using CD or TAPE on the remote.  EDIT:  Input selection via the BL3500 did not switch on the PL speaker attached to the MCL2AV.

There was only one anomaly:

• On the older MCL2AV (Type 2020 SW1.3), after selecting SHIFT RADIO 6 or 7 the BL3500 display remained showing A.AUX.
                                  • On the newer MCL2AV (Type 2023 SW2.3), after selecting SHIFT RADIO 6 or 7 the BL3500 display showed A.TAPE or CD.

Anyway overall I am a bit disappointed that my OneRemote radio wouldn’t behave like a normal datalink device.  I will have to have a think about where to go from here!

Guy
                                  BRONZE Member
                                    • Warwickshire, UK
                                    • Topics Started 16
                                    • Total Posts 1,044

One thing that I meant to add: Having dug out an old BL1000 I have reminded myself what a useful remote it is; so much easier than the Beo4 for Option setting, and for anything that requires the AV button!  I think I will keep it to hand …

And I forgot the obligatory photo of organised chaos:

IMG_6535

Madskp
                                      • Denmark
                                      • Topics Started 53
                                      • Total Posts 609
                                      First, great testing notes even though the results may be disapointing for now.

Basically with the BL3500 in L.OPT 1, 2, 5 or 6 it was possible to use SHIFT RADIO 6 or 7 to select correct MCL2AV input (TAPE or CD).  It was not possible to select these inputs directly using CD or TAPE on the remote.  EDIT:  Input selection via the BL3500 did not switch on the PL speaker attached to the MCL2AV.

I had some thoughts about this input selection, and it ocured to me that when the MCL2AV is used in a MCL system it will allways have an audio master with the CD and A.Tape sources available (even if nothing is connected to those connections on the Audiomaster). Therfore the MCL2AV has to register if a Datalink device is available locally, and if not it should use the Audiomaster’s source instead. This might explain the Behaviour we are seeing.

Guy wrote:
                                      So I think that the MCL2AV doesn’t recognise the OneRemote radio as ‘proper’ Datalink and therefore won’t keep the TAPE (or CD) input open – the data receive light on the OneRemote flashes randomly even when MCL2AV is at stand-by, as if it is being interrogated and failing!

But weird that the OneRemote radio wont work the proper way here when it is working in other situations.

EDIT:  Input selection via the BL3500 did not switch on the PL speaker attached to the MCL2AV.

I think one of the paragraphs about option settings mentions that option 2 is used when the TV (in your case the BL3500) reproduces all the sounds, and after that there is the note about defaulting to option 2 when no IR eye is connected.

Next I tried numerous combinations of L.OPTs on both MCL2AV and BL3500.  Basically I was trying to select the TAPE and CD inputs from the BL3500 using SHIFT RADIO 6 and 7.  This resulted in lots of system lockups during testing, even when I tried the MCL2AV in L.OPT 0.  Although it sometimes worked as expected there was no consistency of results and it became very frustrating!  I often had to unplug/power-down everything to clear the system.  I was using all the eqpt in one room, shielding IR sensors when inputting Option settings to a single device.

It would seems as the 2 IR sensors introduce some kind of confussion in the system. But then again this was probably inteded to be used with either the IR sensor or the TV’s IR eye.

I will see if I can get on with my testing tomorrow. Let me know if there are situations you like to have tested with the Beocord 3500 on datalink

Guy
                                      BRONZE Member
                                        • Warwickshire, UK
                                        • Topics Started 16
                                        • Total Posts 1,044

I had some thoughts about this input selection, and it ocured to me that when the MCL2AV is used in a MCL system it will allways have an audio master with the CD and A.Tape sources available (even if nothing is connected to those connections on the Audiomaster). Therfore the MCL2AV has to register if a Datalink device is available locally, and if not it should use the Audiomaster’s source instead. This might explain the Behaviour we are seeing.

Yes that all makes sense. And with a local TAPE or CD,  in a normal MCL setup you would then use the LINK button to select the TAPE or CD in the central room.

But weird that the OneRemote radio wont work the proper way here when it is working in other situations.

Yes that’s strange – I can’t think of a sensible reason for this, but |I suppose the OneRemote devices were never tested with the older MCL2AV system, so perhaps there is just a SW anomaly.

Whilst thinking about the OneRemote, I did revisit the MCL2AV circuit diagram: I think we have noted before that the diagram is incorrect: it shows TAPE and CD datalink wired to pin 6, when it must actually be to pin 7. For the AUX input, the AAL is correctly shown to pin 6.

MCL2AV inputs

It would seems as the 2 IR sensors introduce some kind of confussion in the system. But then again this was probably inteded to be used with either the IR sensor or the TV’s IR eye. I will see if I can get on with my testing tomorrow. Let me know if there are situations you like to have tested with the Beocord 3500 on datalink

You may have finished testing now so I could be too late!

• I’d be interested to hear how your setup behaves with the IR sensor removed from the MCL2AV.  Or in two-rooms if you have a long enough ML cable!
                                        • If you use the TV to select the MCL2AV’s TAPE input using SHIFT MENU 6, and then press MENU to turn on the TV screen, does it show that the TV is receiving an A.AUX source or A.TAPE source?
                                        Madskp
                                          • Denmark
                                          • Topics Started 53
                                          • Total Posts 609

Whilst thinking about the OneRemote, I did revisit the MCL2AV circuit diagram: I think we have noted before that the diagram is incorrect: it shows TAPE and CD datalink wired to pin 6, when it must actually be to pin 7. For the AUX input, the AAL is correctly shown to pin 6.

I am aware of this and think it just might be an error on the diagram, both because the Beocord 3500. works as it should and also because it wouldn’t make much sense.

You may have finished testing now so I could be too late! I’d be interested to hear how your setup behaves with the IR sensor removed from the MCL2AV.  Or in two-rooms if you have a long enough ML cable! If you use the TV to select the MCL2AV’s TAPE input using SHIFT MENU 6, and then press MENU to turn on the TV screen, does it show that the TV is receiving an A.AUX source or A.TAPE source?

Actually I haven’t had the time for further testing. I have another project in my House that takes longer than expected (these kind of things always take longer that you like to think 🙂 ), and the yesterday i had planned to make a longer ML cable, but then realised that my plan to extend it with network cable wouldn’t work because it needs to have 9 wires (or 8 and a shield), and I dont have that available.

But form some of the tests I already have performed I can tell you that the TV wouldn’t show the menu (our the source when activating it), so I haven’t been able to see what source it actually was on the TV. I don’t remember if this is also the case with only the 1611 connected to the TV, but I will test both scenarios next time I work on it and report back. I will also test the Beaviour without the IR sensor (and in another room when I get a longer ML cable)

Guy
                                          BRONZE Member
                                            • Warwickshire, UK
                                            • Topics Started 16
                                            • Total Posts 1,044

More experimentation today …

So I reconnected an IR sensor to my newer MCL2AV Type 2023 SW2.3, and moved the BeoLab 3500 to a separate room, connected to the BL1611 by ML cable.  An iPhone was playing audio to the MCL2AV’s TAPE socket throughout testing.  I then tried a few option settings in the two separate rooms.

BL3500 in L.OPT 1, 2, 5 or 6/MCL2AV in L.OPT 2.5 or 2.6

I can select and play SHIFT RADIO 6 from the BL3500 room (this doesn’t start the PL speakers connected to the MCL2AV).  However, after selecting/controlling the BL3500 I cannot then select or control anything within the MCL2AV room.  Even Mute or Volume don’t work, even though the IR receive LED is flashing on the MCL2AV’s IR sensor.  Also the IR sensor MUTE button has no response.  The MCL2AV room will only work again if I turn the system off and re-set the MCL2AV option settings.

BL3500 in L.OPT 1, 2, 5 or 6/MCL2AV in L.OPT 1.5 or 1.6

Independent control in both rooms is possible (has to be same MCL2AV source in each room).  Can switch on (or mute) independently from either room, and ‘join’ by pressing just vol or mute in MCL2AV room (but you have to press the full SHIFT RADIO 6 to ‘join’ in the BL3500 room).  The MCL2AV IR sensor’s MUTE switch works to join or mute once sound is already playing in the BL3500 room.  A good useable outcome!

BL3500 in L.OPT 1, 2, 5 or 6/MCL2AV in L.OPT 0

BL3500 plays TAPE input sound whatever audio source is selected on remote – there is no separate selection/control of TAPE or CD inputs.  MCL2AV is non-responsive locally, and you cannot even ‘join’ by pressing the sensor’s MUTE button.  A long press of power off does still shut down the ‘system’ from the MCL2AV room.

My conclusions for far (from this and earlier testing):

If the MCL2AV/BL1611 combination is in the same room as another ML device (with a built-in IR sensor), disconnecting the IR sensor from the MCL2AV simplifies control.  Unfortunately, you cannot then activate any PL speakers connected to the MCL2AV.

If the MCL2AV/BL1611 combination is in a different room to another ML device (with a built-in IR sensor), make sure that the MCL2AV is in L.OPT 1.X.

I can’t see any reason why the above two configurations would behave any differently with a proper datalink (controllable) source connected to the MCL2AV’s TAPE or CD input, but am unable to test.

I will be interested to see if similar results are obtained with a BeoVision instead of the BL3500.

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 411 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds