BeoLink Converter 1611 Innovative Configurations

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 411 total)
  • Author
    matador
      • Paris France
      • Topics Started 48
      • Total Posts 689

Ok, but would be shorting a datalink pin to ground the same as leaving it in the air from the 1611 perspective? SO why then does it starts as a videomaster by default?

Also note that after my attempts this morning with the BS2300, the 1611 was able to start with one key, but still a video key, not an audio key. I’ve tried A.TAPE, CD and cant remember right now but all the audio key present on a SAT beo4 and a Beolink 5000.

matador
        • Paris France
        • Topics Started 48
        • Total Posts 689

They are many Beolink converter 1611 owners manuals all with differents diagrams. I have seen at least three and each time its not clear if the data flaow uspside or downside. Text is not of a great halp either. Maybe the last iteration, if anybody has one are more clear.

Guy
        BRONZE Member
          • Warwickshire, UK
          • Topics Started 16
          • Total Posts 1,044

each time its not clear if the data flaow uspside or downside.

By design (and its original purpose) data and audio should flow in both directions. When my TV was connected to my BC9500 via a 1611 I could control (and listen to) each device from the other.

I do think that the 1611 defaults to videomaster (as in your case) but it would be really useful to find out what forces it to become an audiomaster.

I have found a spare 7-pin DIN plug, but am going to give up for today for two reasons:

– Firstly I hate soldering, especially fiddly little DIN plugs with my sausage fingers!

– Secondly, I need to research SCART to hdmi converters: my father has just purchased a new (non-B&O) TV and wants to know how to connect his VHS player!!!

matador
            • Paris France
            • Topics Started 48
            • Total Posts 689

Firstly I hate soldering, especially fiddly little DIN

I understand, this morning I was close to give up just because I had to make a 7/7 din wire.
            Especially Chinese ebay cheap plug that melt even before anything was solder!

About VHS to HDMI, dont forget (I think) that there is two kind of HDMI, one that carry analogue and the other taht dont and that will never accept analogue signal wirhout an active converter (fancy that: converter!).

Cheers.

Guy
            BRONZE Member
              • Warwickshire, UK
              • Topics Started 16
              • Total Posts 1,044

Me again! I did some more investigation earlier.

Firstly, I looked through some of Peter Pan’s (very useful) diagrams in the Hifi4all forum. He shows the 1611 used to supply a stand-alone BL3500 several times. In none of these diagrams does he show that Aux Pin 2 to Pin 1 connection or anything similar.  So unless we can think of a reason otherwise, let’s assume that connection should not normally be required!

Secondly, Peter Pan twice refers to selecting the input by pressing a Video Source (TV, DVD etc) and twice mentions using PC.

His diagrams are at the following links:

Second post here:  https://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23818&KW=1611&PN=0&TPN=55

3/4 way down this page (mentions selection with PC):  https://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23818&KW=1611&PN=0&TPN=57

Half way down this page:  https://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23818&KW=1611&PN=0&TPN=74

Half way down this page (again mentions selection with PC): https://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23818&KW=1611&PN=0&TPN=79

I have tried selection using PC with my 1611 with no response; I think this may be a cut-and-paste error from his Beolink Active diagrams, which do indeed use PC to select.

Tonight as an experiment I tried connecting my 1611 by ML to my Beoport (Beolink PC) – the Beoport was set in Beolink Option 6.  An iPad was supplying audio to the 1611’s AAL socket with a 7-pin DIN (with standard pins 2, 3 and 5 connected). I can activate this by pressing any video source on the Beo4 or on the Beoplayer screen and the sound appears from the Beoport’s speakers.  So  clearly the 1611 acts as a video-master when connected to a Beoport.

So I am still unclear as to what may force the 1611 to act as an audio-master.  I might connect it by ML to a Passive (with IR eye) and some Passive speakers and see how that behaves (probably the same as the BL3500).  I am a bit reluctant to try anything funny with the AAL data pins, but might take the risk!

matador
                • Paris France
                • Topics Started 48
                • Total Posts 689

Problem with deep research is, unless you find the perfect answer, the more you searh the more you get confused!

What we know for sure is, sometimes you need to press “AV+ video source” to trigger the converter, experienced by default with a Beolab 3500, And sometimes you need to press “any video source” for the same purpose, experienced by me when letting the converter autoconfig itself connected to a Beosound and preventing it to autoconfigure again (i.e. powering it first).

So in both case, it is a video master, triggered by a video source key, right?
                Seems correct because I can’t find posts stating that you can start it with an Audio command.

I would be very surprised that the solution will rely in a simple short between a datalink pin and the ground. But who knows?

As you I’m not sure to dare to try shorting pins randomly. There, a service manual could help.

What impressed me the most was when I got communication between the 3500 and the 2300. I mean, same amount of data exchange, handshake or whatever with only two pins, the same way than an ouverture with that big Masterlink connector full of a lot of pins? Impressive!

Now, using a 1611 to drive a Beolab 3500 seems to always have been a hack. So no wonder we can’t exactly do what we want with it. Because in that case it’s always someting missing: an “intelligent” device at the other end of the converter. One that identifies itself and unlock all commands, audio, video, etc…

Please Guy, don’t burn any equipment for science sakes, but lets continu our experiments as long as they’re safe.

Cheers.

Guy
                BRONZE Member
                  • Warwickshire, UK
                  • Topics Started 16
                  • Total Posts 1,044

So in both case, it is a video master, triggered by a video source key, right?
                  Seems correct because I can’t find posts stating that you can start it with an Audio command.

It did when connected to my BV10-32 by ML, but only when the 1611’s AAL input was from the aux socket of my old BeoSound 1 radio, with a 7-pin DIN to DIN. I could select with any audio source button (CD, RADIO etc). This is strange because the BeoSound 1 apparently has no datalink (but who knows how its datalink pins are connected internally!)

Perhaps something in the ML cable tells it how to behave?  Connect to a TV and it becomes an audiomaster, to a BeoSystem (or BL3500) and it becomes a videomaster.

Anyway, enough for today!

matador
                    • Paris France
                    • Topics Started 48
                    • Total Posts 689

Perhaps something in the ML cable tells it how to behave?  Connect to a TV and it becomes an audiomaster, to a BeoSystem (or BL3500) and it becomes a videomaster.

That’s an interesting theory. Right now the only Masterlink TV I have has its plug out of reach but it worth a try.

Madskp
                      • Denmark
                      • Topics Started 55
                      • Total Posts 611

I am following this thread with interest,and also did some testing with the 1611.

1) connected with ML to my Beocenter 6, and an iphone connected to the AAL socket. My first impression was the same as Guy, but then I tried to crank the volume up to max on both the iphone and the TV. Then I would hear the sound, but very low like when trying to connect a record player to an input without a RIAA.

2) again connected to the Beocenter 6 with ML, and a Beomaster 5500 (Tape2/TV socket) to the AAL socket of the 1611. This way sound was comming loud and clear to the TV.

so my guess is there has to be something connected to the datalink pins on the 1611 to negotiate what to do with whatever master device is on the ML port.

the Oneremote cables might have a little chip insight on of the connectors that can do this negotiation.

Guy you mentioned that it worked connecting it to your BS1 which officialy doesnt have datalink abilities as far as I know. However looking at the diagrams in the service manual both pin 6 and 7 is connected (called data in and data out) to a control chip. Also left and right out is connected which I also didnt expect. So maybe this product is hardware wise datalink capable but might be software limited? Could be interesting to know more about as my parents have on with a Beogram connected. But that might be for another Thread.

matador
                        • Paris France
                        • Topics Started 48
                        • Total Posts 689

Hi Madskp and welcome to the game!

Do you remember what key you use to select the converter input o the Beocenter 6?
                        It could be useful also to double check the cable you used to connect the iPhone.

For my first attempt and until then I’m using a stereo jack to din cable, the sale that I use to connect a source to any Beocenter AUX IN and it work well. The DIN is 5 pins so no Datalink at all.

After our different attempt I more prone to believe the behavior of the converter depends on what its on the other side of the Masterlink cable. But this still has to be confirmed.

Madskp
                          • Denmark
                          • Topics Started 55
                          • Total Posts 611

I was using A.tape command, but can try with other commands later to see if  its the same

Guy
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Warwickshire, UK
                            • Topics Started 16
                            • Total Posts 1,044

Thanks Madskp – always good to have more input!

I just reconnected to my TV and tried the ‘double high volume’ trick with similar results – I can just about hear the iPad playing.

I just opened up my 1611 – herewith pictures:

IMG_6491

IMG_6492

Interestingly, AAL datalink pin 7 is not connected to anything (I checked the other side of the board too).  AAL Pin 6 must therefore be used for data in any 1611 setup, hence the OneRemote ASNUT cable can’t connect pin 6 to ground otherwise no data would be able to pass.

Next I am going to dig out my OneRemote radio and see how that behaves connected straight to the 1611 and to the TV (without an ASNUT cable!)

When my OneRemote was connected to my BC9500 it had to be connected to the Tape 2 socket, which uses datalink pin 7.  Perhaps the ASNUT cable just moves the datalink to pin 6 for the 1611?  I may try a pin 6 to 7 bridge …

(Yes the BS1 datalink is interesting, and thanks for checking the circuit diagram.  So the BS1 must be doing something to the 1611 via pin 6.  I often wondered if my BS1 would control a connected Beogram turntable, but suspect that B&O didn’t want to add that software, preferring customers to purchase more expensive Beosounds!)

matador
                              • Paris France
                              • Topics Started 48
                              • Total Posts 689

First attemp:
                              1611 to BC6 via Masterlink. iPod to 1611 via 5 pins DIN.
                              -> Nothing happens, no sound, no source selection.
                              I’ve tried A.AUX, A.TAPE.
                              Nothing on screen or on speakers.

Second attemp:
                              Back to usual config which is:
                              Converter to Beolab 3500 via Masterlink.
                              iPod to Converter via 5 pins DIN.
                              Converter powered on first and after Beolab 3500.
                              -> All auxiliary audio sources stay silent but I can get audio from video sources without the need of pressing AV before.
                              So its the same behavior that after using it with the BC2300.

Question: did it even register the connection with the Beocenter? Why did I have nothing?

Guy
                              BRONZE Member
                                • Warwickshire, UK
                                • Topics Started 16
                                • Total Posts 1,044

^ When you connected to the BC6 did you put it in V.OPT 2 first? (Otherwise it will ignore all audio commands)

matador
                                  • Paris France
                                  • Topics Started 48
                                  • Total Posts 689

Hmmmm… No!

Ok I’ll go back.

And after that which is the normal option setting to put it all back as it is now (TV alone in a room). Thanks.

Guy
                                  BRONZE Member
                                    • Warwickshire, UK
                                    • Topics Started 16
                                    • Total Posts 1,044

Just return it to V.OPT 1 afterwards.

matador
                                      • Paris France
                                      • Topics Started 48
                                      • Total Posts 689

Still does nothing…

Guy
                                      BRONZE Member
                                        • Warwickshire, UK
                                        • Topics Started 16
                                        • Total Posts 1,044

Try pressing MENU after selecting an audio source.  When I do this it turns the TV screen on and shows that the audio source is connected, but sound is very very low.

matador
                                          • Paris France
                                          • Topics Started 48
                                          • Total Posts 689

Nothing,

I’ve tried

• Two different Masterlink cables.
                                          • Option setting,
                                          • Connecting My BC2300 in A-OPT 0
                                          • To enable Beolink Radio and disable Internal Radio,
                                          • Press Menu after selection an audio source,
                                          • Select AV+Audio Source.

All nothing, the TV stay on the last internal source selected (TV, A.MEM, RADIO…)

Madskp
                                            • Denmark
                                            • Topics Started 55
                                            • Total Posts 611

I was using A.tape command, but can try with other commands later to see if its the same

i tried again, with the iphone connected to the AaL port and the BV6 via ML. Same result as 1) above whether choosing CD, A.tape and Radio (my BC6 is w/o built in radio).

also have a Beocord 3500 i tried connecting, same result. Discovered afterwards that it only has a 5 pin din plug, so will try to fit a 7pin and try again

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 411 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds