Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

What are you working on now?

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions What are you working on now?

• This topic has 107 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Guy.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Guy
      • Warwickshire, UK
      • Topics Started 14
      • Total Posts 1,233

Battery acid corrosion had broken the negative terminal in my Video Terminal’s battery compartment, so I made a new terminal using a re-purposed picture hook.

IMG_7005

Guy
        • Warwickshire, UK
        • Topics Started 14
        • Total Posts 1,233

Then cleaned up yet another Beo4 remote and must have been on auto-pilot because I didn’t spot the obvious mistake until re-assembled!

IMG_7007

Madskp
        GOLD Member
          • Denmark
          • Topics Started 34
          • Total Posts 795

Battery acid corrosion had broken the negative terminal in my Video Terminal’s battery compartment, so I made a new terminal using a re-purposed picture hook. IMG_7005

great job of re purposing other materials for these repairs. At some point there might not be enough donor remotes for spare parts anymore.

Madskp
          GOLD Member
            • Denmark
            • Topics Started 34
            • Total Posts 795

Then cleaned up yet another Beo4 remote and must have been on auto-pilot because I didn’t spot the obvious mistake until re-assembled! IMG_7007

that is perfect as a IR command converter then ?

Guy
              • Warwickshire, UK
              • Topics Started 14
              • Total Posts 1,233

that is perfect as a IR command converter then

Ha ha! My OCD won’t let me leave it like that! I replaced the keyboard because a previous owner had picked away at the volume button and that was annoying me. It’s actually a tatty one that I leave on my desk to check my answers to Forum Beo4 questions. It also has a missing pixel line on the screen but it’s over to the left hence rarely appears.

IMG_7008

beosince
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 4
                • Total Posts 25

One of the simpler projects: Updating the Beogram audio cable.

The audio cable on my Beogram 4000 had been shortened and, after checking the pinout, had actually been done wrong as the both shielding were connected to the same pin.

wrong

I bought Sommer Cable Galileo 238 Plus BK (2 meters) and a new DIN plug from Ryan (only gold was in stock, but I will not see it anyway).

Stripping the wire:

cable1

Sorting out the shielding:

cable2

Soldering on the plug:

cable3

The result:

cable4

I also do the same to the power plugs as cable has usually yellowed and I feel its nicer it both cables match. Obviously this does not change anything with regards to audio quality, but it allows the extension of the cable and is a nice visual update.

Dillen
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Total Posts 589

Nice job – but as I see it, there is no longer any shielding between the two signal leads.
                  There is quite an amount of amplification to whatever comes out of that cable, so even
                  the tiny amount of transfer caused by capacitive coupling between the two long parallel
                  leads close together could cause the channels to mix a little (loss of channel separation).
                  It’s marginal – that’s correct, but the old cable was in fact of better quality in this respect.

The new cable would be better suited for balanced signals, really, – stage gear, microphones with long leads and the likes.

And you are absolutely right about the two grounds.

Martin

beosince
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 4
                    • Total Posts 25

i do agree that the original cable probably has better shielding between the two signal cables. The new cable has quite thick plastic shielding on the signal cables though, so I hope the transfer is neglectable.
                    Can you recommend a cable that is readily available that is better suited for the job?
                    I need to re-paint part of a Beogram 4000, do you have a recommendation when it comes to the black color used?

as always thanks for your valuable input!

Dillen
                      • Topics Started 3
                      • Total Posts 589

It’s difficult to find cable of the same type as the original.
                      So far I have managed with what I could find in the dungeons from scrapped units and leftovers collected over decades from closed repairshops, but perhaps Steve can give us an idea?

The original black color seems to vary a little. If this is because of age and sunlight or because the original production spanned several paint batches I cannot say.
                      A not-to-reflective but not exactly flat silk black either, should be close.

Martin

Evan
                      GOLD Member
                        • San Francisco
                        • Topics Started 9
                        • Total Posts 131

6998F531-AEA1-401E-90AD-9D78566DA6B4

Hey everyone – I am slowly getting my Beo gear acquired in the UK/EU moved back to the US. The first to arrive was my BeoLink 7000 and charging base.

Is there a way to convert to 110VAC for use in USA? Service manual and a look inside the base themselves don’t offer an obvious method for doing so.

Thanks!

Motorman
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Topics Started 0
                          • Total Posts 18

I’m just restoring an Beogram CD 7000 which is optical in a very good condition.
                          Only the CD Tray had some ugly oxidation marks in the shiny middle area.
                          Since I also restore cars, I have access to a sandblasting cabin. Since the traces of oxidation cannot be polished away (it was turned shiny at the time), I sandblasted the area. I am quite satisfied with the result. It’s not original, but it almost looks like it 😉
                          Before:

IMG_20230924_173908

After:
                          IMG_20230925_164211

Tignum
                          GOLD Member
                            • Netherlands
                            • Topics Started 8
                            • Total Posts 361

looks very good!

Motorman
                            BRONZE Member
                              • Topics Started 0
                              • Total Posts 18

looks very good!

Thank you very much!

auric
                              BRONZE Member
                                • Topics Started 14
                                • Total Posts 83

Hello Evan:

Yes the charging base can be converted to run on 120. The primary of the transformer actually has two windings. For 24o, the windings are placed in series which is how yours is wired.

To make it run on 120, you will need to unsolder the primary lugs from the transformer. T Lift them off and fold them over onto the other side of the PCB so that it bypasses the traces which connect the windings in series. Then you can connect the windings in parallel.

You can also cut the traces on the PCB, but I prefer modifications that are non-destructive and can be reversed.

Derek

PS: I’m in SF as well!

Evan
                                GOLD Member
                                  • San Francisco
                                  • Topics Started 9
                                  • Total Posts 131

Hey Derek – Thanks for the info! No worries, there won’t be any traces cut here.

I’ll add another photo of the bottom, it seems like there is a trace that can be broken intentionally underneath (there is a pair of joined solder pads). This path runs under the transformer from what I remember, however I could be mistaken. I’m on vacation right now but will add a photo and try to identify the spot on the schematic when I return home.

Glad to read there are other BeoWorld members in SF!

pilatomic
                                  BRONZE Member
                                    • Topics Started 3
                                    • Total Posts 48

Slowly reverse engineering the Datalink protocol used between the BeoMaster / BeoCord / BeoGram 5500, for a secret project.P_20230928_151948

Tignum
                                    GOLD Member
                                      • Netherlands
                                      • Topics Started 8
                                      • Total Posts 361

Keep us posted, we will not tell anyone!

Madskp
                                      GOLD Member
                                        • Denmark
                                        • Topics Started 34
                                        • Total Posts 795

Slowly reverse engineering the Datalink protocol used between the BeoMaster / BeoCord / BeoGram 5500, for a secret project.P_20230928_151948

sounds very interesting. Looking forward to more info.

Are you avare of these two projects?:

https://github.com/jensjoachim/B_and_O_Projects

https://github.com/toresbe/datalink

AdamS
                                        GOLD Member
                                          • Topics Started 3
                                          • Total Posts 115

Finally getting round to sorting out my Beolab Penta 2s. I re-foamed the midranges earlier in the year so have now re-fitted them and am working on the amplifiers.

AdamS
                                          GOLD Member
                                            • Topics Started 3
                                            • Total Posts 115

They’re certainly ‘cosy’ inside!

Beolab-Penta-amplifier

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 108 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions What are you working on now?

• You must be logged in to create new topics.