Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Theatre New product launch – beosound theatre?

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 1,328 total)
  • Author
    NQVHNWI
    FOUNDER Member

duplicate

NQVHNWI
      FOUNDER Member

BeoJeff,

In a surround sound system, you are defining “quality” by the sound format of the system and just added in my BL90s and Kaleidescape to the mix. But you fail to recognise that these systems have in their fibre a degree of back-compatibility because not everyone can fit or want to have 128 loudspeakers in their theatre room, nor can a BR disc (2 layer) hold more than 66gb of data.  What is the “quality” you want to measure?

I keep repeating, DTS-X and Atmos are EXTENSIONS of TrueHD lossless sound. And the back-compatibility as far as I can determine with this morning readings it the system “trickles-down” to the most available format of the hardware.

“Quality” (again). Movie Playback on Kaleidascape with a 100gb file (4ogb more data than a BR disc to BS Theatre/BL90s/BL3s/G2 Panel in a 4m x 4m “open” room, 5.1 setup (arguably 5.2.0). No height speakers as yet. What is the “quality” you speak of?

a)      Very clear fluid media playback of vision (but I wear glasses)

b)     Very impressive 5.2 sound with ultra-low rumbles that probably irritates the  neighbours as it bounces of the walls?

c)      Impressive soundstage listening to sounds coming from my left side, forward to right front rather than rear/side/front and all shades of height in between?

d)     The musical accuracy of the sound from the BL90s pumping “boom” into a relatively small room at rather quite high db levels?

e)      Or is it one uncompressed lossless format vs another slightly different but essentially the same format?

The “quality” of what you speak in your opinion seems to be to have the latest and greatest video format/codec and pushing out sound from a single soundbar vs a different soundbar. (this argument is as old as Beoworld)

What I am saying it is a hell of a lot more complicated than a sound format that defines “quality” and when we consider “doing it properly in true HT style”, many may not like what our living space looks like. Where is the quality in that?

beojeff
        BRONZE Member

A word of advice to getting the best possible sound out of your Theatre: Do not assume that just popping a disc in the player and pressing “play” will give you the best sound. Be mindful of your audio setting of the disc. Some studios do not play the Dolby Atmos track by default. For example, the UHD of “Bond” movies and UHD of “Game of Thrones” will not default to Dolby Atmos. Soon after receiving my Theatre, I sat through “No Time to Die” and only realized near the end when I checked the sound format through the B&O app that it was playing the Dolby 7.1 lossless track. Granted, the sound was fantastic. However, when I changed the audio setting of the disc to Dolby Atmos and rewatched a few scenes, I was truly blown away by the improvement.

beojeff
          BRONZE Member

Mr. Ten Percent, please know that I respect you, and I certainly envy you for having BL90s and a Kaleidescape. However, you’re just not going to convince me that it doesn’t matter about getting the best possible sound format. I know this is an extreme example, but you’d certainly notice a difference between playing a VHS tape through your BL90s and playing a UHD disc with object-based lossless sound through your 90s.

beojeff
            BRONZE Member

I will humble myself in admitting that I’m not innocent in not getting the most out of something. I never drive my Porsche over 60 MPH and asked my Porsche dealer about the convenience in having just one set of all-season tires. He gasped.

NQVHNWI
              FOUNDER Member

In the days when I had a V12V Aston, I used to love more than anything else cruising at 30-60mph rather than going bat out of hell at 200mph. (or even 100!)

Like the Porsche, you made a discerning choice buying the Theatre and like the Porsche, which you knew you could not fit a family of 8 inside but was a two-seater (assumed), we should all have had an understanding of what the Theatre can/cannot do? And like both of our motorcars – and my point, we can get the best quality for “us personally” by only driving at a fraction of the cars true capability or by not expecting it to do something it was never designed to do?

P.S. Remember telling my Dealer that Bridgstones were rubbish and to get some Pirellis on there (my preference). After a few “ifs and buts” I gave him two choices. One good for his business, the other not.

beojeff
                BRONZE Member

We shall agree to shake hands and laugh, my friend.

NQVHNWI
                  FOUNDER Member

We shall agree to shake hands and laugh, my friend.

Indeed, I appreciate your candor and conversation 🙂

Razlaw
                    BRONZE Member

After trying a 19 with my Theatre/28s/1s and finding it did not make enough difference to justify it’s purchase, I decided to try something weird.
                      I connected a BL9 to the Theatre with a Receiver 1, but told the Theatre it is a sub. The result….AMAZING.  I am hearing bass tones in organ music I have never heard before, either with my 50s or 28s. Might be a new market for used 9s as subs with a Theatre LOL

BeoMedia
                      BRONZE Member

I’m still working out how to make some settings like:

1) how can I activate a source on my link system say CD from a ML product (fully connected with NL/ML Converter)? I can only see JOIN on the BR1 but that doesn’t do anything either. I might be missing something very basic but this is my first BR1.
                        2) arrange a sound mode so that front and rear speakers play stereo. What used to be called SPEAKER 4 on older systems.
                        3) arrange so that my rear speakers and subwoofer play stereo (for when stereo sound from the rear is more appropriate for a listening position).

Other than that I have to say I am rather impressed. My BeoLab 1 and BeoLab 2 have never sounded this good. Very clear mid and treble as always but no rumbling or echo from the walls and floor adding rumble to the bass. Now controlled and clear and very deep tones. The switching off and on of the room correction reveals a massive difference.

Razlaw
                        BRONZE Member

I’m still working out how to make some settings like: 1) how can I activate a source on my link system say CD from a ML product (fully connected with NL/ML Converter)? I can only see JOIN on the BR1 but that doesn’t do anything either. I might be missing something very basic but this is my first BR1. 2) arrange a sound mode so that front and rear speakers play stereo. What used to be called SPEAKER 4 on older systems. 3) arrange so that my rear speakers and subwoofer play stereo (for when stereo sound from the rear is more appropriate for a listening position). Other than that I have to say I am rather impressed. My BeoLab 1 and BeoLab 2 have never sounded this good. Very clear mid and treble as always but no rumbling or echo from the walls and floor adding rumble to the bass. Now controlled and clear and very deep tones. The switching off and on of the room correction reveals a massive difference.

With respect to your third question, you would rerun room sense and create a listening position but include the two rear speakers and subwoofer when you create the position and run room sense.

With respect to your second question, you would do the same, although I am nit sure exactly what roles would be assigned to the speakers.

For example, with my system I have listening positions set that include just by two front 28s, 28s and a 9 being used as sub, 28s, 1s, and Theatre, and 28s, 1s, Theatre, and 9 as a sub.

With respect to your first question. I am not sure.  I have a Beosound 3000 and a converter but never tried activating through the Theatre. Currently my 3000 is disconnected due to some work being done in that room.  I will try reconnecting and see if I can get it working with the Theatre and BR1 if nobody can answer you before then.

Razlaw
                          BRONZE Member

Curiosity got to me. I reconnected my 3000.  CDs play from it through my Beoplay V1 via the converter, but I can not find a way to get it to work with the Theatre, yet.

Razlaw
                            BRONZE Member

If I start a CD playing through my Essence, I can then join the Theatre using my Halo and get the CD to play through the Theatre.

BeoMedia
                              BRONZE Member

Thank you for trying this out!

I will try to do sort of the same by playing CD via the ML/NL Converter and see if I can JOIN with the Theatre.
                                I would, however, prefer if I could chose the source from the Theatre directly.

BeoMedia
                                BRONZE Member

Update:

I can JOIN with the Theatre the source playing on the NL/ML Converter.
                                  I cannot JOIN to music playing on the ML alone.
                                  My BeoVision 11 can JOIN music playing on the ML network alone.

Razlaw
                                  BRONZE Member

Sounds like your system is working the same as mine.  Perhaps the Theatre does not directly support the converter.

splud
                                    BRONZE Member

My Beoremote stopped working, so I did a factory reset on the remote and now it wont pair with the Theatre app, anyone know a fix? I have followed all the instructions but they just don’t sync?

Thanks and Happy New Year! 🙂

splud
                                      BRONZE Member

At the moment I use a Nvidia Shield for a Plex playback to the LG G2 as I also use Hue lighting which requires a HDMI pass-through on a Sync box to work. How ever you then have to use the Nvidia remote as there is no PUC for it.

I’m thinking of replacing the Nvidia player with an Apple 4K one as I can attached a PUC to control it from the Theatre using the Beoremote, run the HDMI through the Hue sync box which then will go to the LG G2.

My question is, will the Apple work using the Beoremote via the Theatre PUC, but connecting is straight to the LG screen?

Many thanks.

Carolpa
                                        BRONZE Member

Sounds like your system is working the same as mine. Perhaps the Theatre does not directly support the converter.

remark about joining sources connected to the BLC (Beolink NL/ML converter):

for example: start the BS3000 CD which is a linked source on the Beoplay A6. So the A6 is starting to reproduce the music of the CD. To  join in other devices one should expect that joining the A6 would do the trick. But not all devices will follow.

To overcome this phenomenon, change from the A6 to the BLC as active device in the home screen of the B&o app. Then click the “link to” icon on the app and join the other devices to the BLC.

Note: I do not know with certainty this will work for the Theatre also.

With Beoliving and Beoremote Halo, I expect direct access from the Theatre to a BLC connected Beosound CD should be possible (as with all Beolink and BeoControllink devices).

Razlaw
                                          BRONZE Member

Thanks!  Although it would be nice if pressing CD on the BR1 would start the CD through the Theatre, as it does with my V1 and Essence.   Sounds like to get the same direct functionality with the Theatre as the V1 and Essence have, a BLI is needed. I can’t remember the last time I listened to a CD, but do like having the option, and a little B and O magic having the old integrated with new.

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 1,328 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.