Beoplay V1 not turning on

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Beoplay V1 not turning on

Tagged: 

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Madskp
      • Denmark
      • Topics Started 53
      • Total Posts 609

A friend of mine have a Beoplay V1 40″ that will no lunger turn on

When he is plugging the TV into an outlet the LED will blink green for a short while, but no reaction to remote commands at all.

I have guided him through the proces of changing the option settings in case it should have ended up in option 0 for some reason. This however did not do any difference, and the TV does not give the red blink when the option is set.

A google search doesn’t give much, but I have seen a single mention of a leaking battery

Searching for Beovision 11 problems I see one mentioning of a blown capacitor

Both things sounds like plausible causes.

Does anyone have anymore information regarding this or any experience in fixing it?

I have a special interest in this as I also have a V1 myself, and would like to do some preventive measures on that if possible.

Madskp
        • Denmark
        • Topics Started 53
        • Total Posts 609

so I opened up the TV and searched the PCBs inside, and found nothing remotely like a battery!

A pitty. It could be nice to know where this battery is placed, and if it could be DIY replaced.

Worst case if it is like some batteries used on 30 year old computeres, the PCB traces could be destroyed by the battery acid.

Guy
        BRONZE Member
          • Warwickshire, UK
          • Topics Started 16
          • Total Posts 1,044

IMG_6603 (002)When I first opened mine it was screen downwards on an old cot mattress. I re-inserted the top part of the bracket so it could pivot (unfold) upwards.

I then reversed the tv so that the back was downwards and the screen carefully pivoted up.

Madskp
            • Denmark
            • Topics Started 53
            • Total Posts 609

My friend opened up his V1 today and sent me some pictures from the inside.

Although the mainboard look a lot like the one in Guy’s V1 I not spot a component that could be a battery although the marking C304 suggest a capacitor.

IMG_6506

And from a slightly angled view

IMG_6507

There are no visible leaks from this component, but that of course does not men that it couldn’t be defect.

Any thoughts

alexsalles
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 0
              • Total Posts 7

Im having the same issue with my V1. I noticed there are some voltage written on black thin plastic label around it. and suddenly that come apart and they look like two batteries.

I tried to remove the soldering that was holding the clip and I ended up getting the whole clip off the board.

Anyone has an idea how to remove the clip from the battery and which kind of battery will fit here? they dont seem to have anything written on it apart from some voltage and amperage on the plastic label.

is it two batteries or the lower one is is the actual battery and the top part is a holder that got rusted on it and made them too stuck together?IMG_7695IMG_7698IMG_7694IMG_7693

alexsalles
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 0
                • Total Posts 7

I took them apart they seem like batteries, I wonder which kind, any ideas?

IMG_7703

Madskp
                  • Denmark
                  • Topics Started 53
                  • Total Posts 609

Based on the markings on the plastic 0.22uf 5.5V ina Google search it is not a battery but a super- / backup capacitor.

It seems to be widely available and at a fair price

Very interesting if replacing it actually solves the problem. The on you have seems fairly corroded indeed

alexsalles
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 0
                    • Total Posts 7

I still have to take the video engine board out to see if there is corrosion, from the top it looks fine.

I found the capacitor on ebay, https://www.ebay.ie/itm/292412377560 just €8.

I will update you guys if that fixes it. Thanks for all the help!

alexsalles
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Topics Started 0
                      • Total Posts 7

I still have to take the video engine board out to see if there is corrosion, from the top it looks fine.

I found the capacitor on ebay, https://www.ebay.ie/itm/292412377560 just €8.

I will update you guys if that fixes it. Thanks for all the help!

Madskp
                        • Denmark
                        • Topics Started 53
                        • Total Posts 609

I had that component replaced and it still doesn’t turn on.

Too bad that did not work, although it might have need to be replaced anyway based on the condition it was in.

Ive been studying the service manual and it could be that the “IR Receiver & Room Awareness” ( 58Module 8007282 PCB58) need to be replaced

Interesting. There are other B&O products where IR problems are related to failing capacitor. Maybe there are capacitors on PCB58 that need to be replaced. Could yo try to take this PCB out and take some photos of it?

I wonder if the cable that connects to it might be damaged (photo) anyone know what kind/name this cable is?

It is a Ribbon cable. It is probably custom made for this particular TV. If it indeed is damaged an alternative solution could be to desolder the connectors on the boards and solder another flat cable to the solder pads in both ends. This will of course make it harder to disconnect the separate boards, but should not be to often that is nessecary.

Madskp
                          • Denmark
                          • Topics Started 53
                          • Total Posts 609

You could also try this thing mentioned in the service manual to confirm whether it is PCB 58

Skærmbillede 2024-03-28 kl. 20.01.10

Madskp
                            • Denmark
                            • Topics Started 53
                            • Total Posts 609

So I connected the ethernet cable to it and I was able to turn it on via the b&o app, but there is no picture, I managed to play the radio and it works fine but all I see is black screen. And it still doesn’t respond to the remote.

Ok so the TV is not totally dead. Thats a positive.

Would this issue be on the T-CON board or video engine board ?( even tho it is functioning without image) and the remote not working can be a related or a side effect from the video engine as the IR sensor is attached to it?

Not really sure, but the fact that the IR board connects to the video engine makes it possible that it can be a fault on another board then the IR.

I took some close ups of the boards. the back light one seems like there is some leaking around some parts (brown one and the big black piece) I noticed it today.

I would not suspect these components to be leaking. To me it looks more like solder residue.

I havent checked voltages yet, I need to learn how to do that.

If you have a multimeter set it to measuring DC voltage and measure between the point mentioned in the service manual (provided you can locate it) and a ground point. Ask if you need more advice.

Also on the room awareness module, there a dark spot on the side of a white thing, is that an indicator  that it was blown or something?

It could be something. I can’t locate it on you pictures. Could you make a close up photo of that component?

There are other B&O products where IR problems are related to failing capacitor.

Other than that I don’t see any electrolytic caps on your picture of the IR board, so unless there are some on the other side of it this should not be the issue.

Madskp
                              • Denmark
                              • Topics Started 53
                              • Total Posts 609

Depending on how easy it is to see the pin numbers direction it could be that you are counting the pins from the wrong direction?

Counting to pin 4 from the wrong direction seems to be a ground pin which will read 0V

IMG_9808
                              This test is only for checking if 5V drop to 3.8V, so I would expect a 5V reading.

But the could be problems before in the chain. Try to look at page 3.4 in the servicemanual. There is a flowchart with things to test where this is only part of it.

The TV has to be connected to mains for the test, and all internal  connections be intact, but as its part of a test for tv not turning on that should be it.

Madskp
                                • Denmark
                                • Topics Started 53
                                • Total Posts 609

And BTW pin 5 is also ground so if you touch that while measuring you will probably also get 0V. Those small pins in these connectors are usually fididly to measure on

Madskp
                                  • Denmark
                                  • Topics Started 53
                                  • Total Posts 609

And BTW pin 5 is also ground so if you touch that while measuring you will probably also get 0V. Those small pins in these connectors are usually fididly to measure on

alexsalles
                                  BRONZE Member
                                    • Topics Started 0
                                    • Total Posts 7

IMG_7785IMG_7786I think it was this part I highlighted in red square. I have to take the black cover off to see for sure if it is only this component.

Fair, I’ll buy it and see how it goes. It’s the easier way to find out the origin of the issue. I’ll let know you the outcome after I install the new PCB58.

Thank you very much for your thorough help and advice! I would be lost without you.

alexsalles
                                    BRONZE Member
                                      • Topics Started 0
                                      • Total Posts 7

IMG_7785IMG_7786I think it was this part I highlighted in red square. I have to take the black cover off to see for sure if it is only this component.

Fair, I’ll buy it and see how it goes. It’s the easier way to find out the origin of the issue. I’ll let know you the outcome after I install the new PCB58.

Thank you very much for your thorough help and advice! I would be lost without you.

matador
                                        • Paris France
                                        • Topics Started 48
                                        • Total Posts 689

I would be lost without you.

This is Beoworld.

matador
                                          • Paris France
                                          • Topics Started 48
                                          • Total Posts 689

I would be lost without you.

This is Beoworld.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds