Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Three generations of link-system

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    bnousr
    BRONZE Member
      • Malmo, Sweden

Right, I got now 2 additional BLC that I can use for testing here on my side, so I now have in total 4 units, so could give it a try. What you suggest in the above diagram is to add the third BLC unit for BS9000 and where the BLC-BV10 is what would be my BLC-BSM. Let me give it a try directly and see how it works out.

bnousr
      BRONZE Member
        • Malmo, Sweden

And time for update, with 3 BLC in place, I’ve now got it to work with the suggested settings tht you provided Johan:

• BLC-BSM as Audio Master and pulls N.MUSIC (Music) from Moment
        • BLC-BS6 as Audio Slave and pulls A.MEM (A.TAPE) but won’t do N.RADIO (PHONO) from BS6500
        • BLC-BS9 as Audio Slave and pulls RADIO (RADIO)/CD (CD) from BS9000

So it seems that I just have to accept that N.RADIO has to be used to activate PHONO and it’s not possible to use any other command, for example V.MEM to activate PHONO?

Additionally, I’ve also got a DAC connected to the BS6500 via A.TAPE2 which potential could be pulled as well maybe using PC and pointing to A.TAPE2 (tried and won’t work).

Got to say this absolutely so cool being able to pull vinyl into the entire masterlink in the entire house which increases the WAF-factor significantly 🙂

bnousr
        BRONZE Member
          • Malmo, Sweden

I’m also now realising now that A.MEM is the same as the old A.TAPE. Should this be understod that it’s not possible to do re-mapping of old commands not being used to something else? Additionally, I now also see that N.MUSIC replaces A.TAPE2 from Beo4 Sw4.2. So, the idea of pulling A.TAPE2 doesn’t seem possible. Unless, if possible, to use another command which isn’t used at all in the system.

Tignum
          GOLD Member
            • Netherlands

Hey, good to see you make such progress! Distributing vinyl works right?? (you also write “but won’t do N.RADIO (PHONO) from BS6500”.

The BeoSystem 6500 works locally as before (option 1)?

Does your Beo4 have PHONO under List? Can you add maybe? More elegant 🙂

J.

Tignum
            GOLD Member
              • Netherlands

Indeed, I stand corrected – A.TAPE = A.MEM, there are some more like SAT = DTV.

Another quick thought, is A.AUX something you could try for the A.TAPE2 source of the BS6500?

Carolpa
              BRONZE Member

bnousr2.1.001

this should work.

remarks:
                -. do not make the source Radio of the BM6500 available to NL
                -. add N.Music as source visible to ML
                -. if one doesn’t use remotes but solomnly the B&o app or Halo the the IR mapping isn’t necessary.

I do think a two BLC solution is also possible but sharply depends on how the Radio mapping is set.

bnousr
                BRONZE Member
                  • Malmo, Sweden

Yes, I’m now able to distribute both vinyl and cassette from the BS6500 including that I got full control over the units from what ever room I choose to play from. Awesome! And Yes the BS6500 works as before without any issue. Kind of interesting having the BS6500 playing using infront of me together with the BL3500 on the wall behind me but yes there is a slight echo but sounds a bit like concert hall effect (then don’t indent to play the speakers on the same time).

The latest diagram is what I got now, with exception that I’ve setup the BLC-BS9 with both CD and RADIO and it works fine. So currently everything works fine. The only thing is that I had to drop N.RADIO (TuneIn) from the Moment. No biggy and I can live with that but hey, if there is a workaround for that why not.

In the living room I’m using the Beo 4 with the navigation button which doesn’t have PHONO so won’t do the trick for me. Don’t know if it would make sense to get a new BeoRemote One if I can configure it to show in a nice way PHONO instead of N.RADIO.

When trying to setup A.AUX for A.TAPE2 the BS6500 reacts with AUX being enabled. So that didn’t work. But here is a thought, assume that I could use a Y-cable to have both the Datalink and the incoming audio from the DAC-unit?

Tignum
                  GOLD Member
                    • Netherlands

Cool! Yes BR1 allows to rename all sources on the remote’s screen.

About the DAC, does the BS9000 have an AUX you can use? Or can you try one of the (three!) inputs of the BLCs :-)? Downside is you cannot listen to it on the BS6500 in the study, there you will need to use the BL3500.

I personally would (I actually had to) ditch the BS9000’s FM radio and use the RADIO command for the BSM’s N.RADIO source.

Guy
                      • Warwickshire, UK

But here is a thought, assume that I could use a Y-cable to have both the Datalink and the incoming audio from the DAC-unit?

That should work – I used such a cable when I had both a Playmaker and BL1611 converter connected to the aux of my BC9500.   The AUX socket is designed to be an input and output at the same time (so you can listen to the DAC over the rest of your system), and there will be no datalink conflict.  This ‘use case’ gets a specific mention on Steve’s page here (see the ‘did you know’ paragraph at the foot of the link):  https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/11-312-7-pin-aux-splitter-dual-aux-tape-input-sockets.html#/20-length-02m

But as Steve notes, you may have to power down the DAC when not in use to avoid interference.

Also, I am not sure if it is any use to you here but with the BM6500 in A.OPT 2 then it should open the AUX input when you select a video source such as TV, DVD.  This could be useful if you are running out of audio sources on your system.   As I have said before, I have never used a NL/ML system so am not sure whether this would create problems elsewhere.

bnousr
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Malmo, Sweden

@Johan: I’ll might consider a BR1 then but while I like the looks of it I miss out the weight that you have in the Beo4 which is the main reason for now upgrading. The DAC is in the office and the BS9000 just to far away but using any of the BLC could be something since I have the technical ‘room’ just directly close to the office. But, then again, if it’s works out with using a Y-cable for the AUX port on the BS6500 that would be the easiest solution and which Guy verified that it wouldn’t cause any conflict. I did use the AUX before connecting the 1611 box to get the audio out from my Topping E30 DAC (wanted to get Shiit Modi DAC but they haven’t been able to deliver in long time so ended up with the E30) which I only uses when I want to get audio out from the laptop when playing music that I don’t have anywhere else or when connecting som retro tech such as C64/Amiga, etc. The Topping does power off when not in use and easy to power off with remote control (and same with the Shiit Modi).

@Johan
                        : I’ll going to use RADIO for TuneIn as I’m starting to get happy with the setup and which I typically try to mirror what I had and then the tweaks needed for the WAF-factor.

@Johan
                        : Also, with regards trying to get the setup to do the same with only 2 BLC which would mean removing the BLC for the BS9000 which would be good from the point of getting ride of one box that can fail. I’ll give that a try later on today or tomorrow.

@Guy: Interesting thing with the BS6500 in A.OPT2 might but don’t see that being needed for now. Since with the workaround with Y-cable I’ll just make use of AUX from the Beo4 and essentially this would provide the same function. That would be if I instead to make use of PC pointing to AUX. And thanks for the link to Steve’s page.

Carolpa
                        BRONZE Member

Kind of interesting having the BS6500 playing using infront of me together with the BL3500 on the wall behind me but yes there is a slight echo but sounds a bit like concert hall effect (then don’t indent to play the speakers on the same time).

connect the speakers to the BLC instead to get rid of the echo.

bnousr
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Malmo, Sweden

By the way, if you put the Encore into Option 4 and use The Beo4 with a Link command (before the actual command), you can remote control it without interfering with other ir-devices in the room. You can even – with a newer Beo4 version, that can be set to Link Mode – use the remote pretty ‘normal’ (this is nice if you want to improve the WAF).

@Millemissen This is how my setup is in the office; the additional BL3500 is operated with its own Beo4 which has been set to link mode to avoid that it interfer with the BS6500 unit which is operated with a classic Beolink 1000 and my all time favorit remote control – the incredible Master Control Panel 6500.

@Tignum If you haven’t seen there is a thread in the old forum of maintaining and cloning disk for the BS5 then again your opting for the encore and get it.

bnousr
                            BRONZE Member
                              • Malmo, Sweden

@Carolpa: Not an issue with the echo as it’s not my intention to play both the BL3500 and the CX100 on the same time. So how it’s setup now is really how I wanted to get it to work.

Skipping the BLC for the BS9000 and putting the other two BLC’s in slave mode just give me issues once again with that BS65400 (via BLC-BS6) isn’t responding N.RADIO/A.MEM and bottom line is that ‘isolating’ the various system using BLC’s was the way to go. So I’m sticking to the current setup using 3 BLC now.

The previous BLC-BSM has been renamed to BLC-BV10 to make it more clear which device it’s actually being used to link the Moment with. Makes sense now when I understand the BLC far better having spent a few hours and getting the help from this forum. As many others, I got the first BLC to use together with the Moment which was setup 8 years ago and since it’s been working flawless since then and never looked at it again 🙂 So the current BLC-BV10 is now then Audio Master with the following ML sources:

blc-bv10_ML-Sources

And during the weekend I picked up a BR1 at the local B&O shop in Helsingborg which makes things more smooth with the possibility of adding and renaming the various commands to reflect the various system makes it eaier to remember and understand and as well high WAF.

@Carolpa
                              , @Guy & @Tignum: Highly appreciate and thanks for all your help and patience getting this to work and as much some of the BLC function might be a bit odd behaviour and potential improvement which could be done be B&O (which most likely will never happen) but got me to look into the wrong direction. For example the IR-command which one can totally ignore as Tignum indicated including that I thought that the BLC also would act as a device which would be able to perform ‘command translation’ (thinking of network address translation here…) and act a bit more like a router but which does does to a certain extend and then not. But, in the end it’s working perfect!

Tignum
                              GOLD Member
                                • Netherlands

Hi bnousr, great to hear and happy to have been of help! Good experience for me too as I also learned a bit more on the way :-). I also was searching for the most logical Beo4 user experience, like you. Again, great to see that B&O made connecting three generations of link systems possible, with full control. Enjoy!

(PS – the only thing with the BeoVirus is, now everything works, you will need something else to play with! I am considering adding an Encore (don’t want the BM5) to feed into one of my BLCs)

Millemissen
                                BRONZE Member
                                  • Flensborg————Danmark

I am considering adding an Encore (don’t want the BM5) to feed into one of my BLCs)

——————

First of all……..you guys are awsome – it’s been a joy (and inspiration) to follow this thread ?

’….feed an Encore into a BLC’ – that sounds like an interesting project, since the Encore has no ML or alike ?

MM

Carolpa
                                  BRONZE Member

’….feed an Encore into a BLC’ – that sounds like an interesting project, since the Encore has no ML or alike ?

MM

quite easy!
                                    Buy a PL to Line In  cable. Connect the PL of the BS5e Line in to the BLC.
                                    I connected the BS5e to my BS9000 BLC. Set to volume to approximate 90%, then it works just fine!

Pity I can not reprogramme the LINE IN to another name.
                                    I am still under the impression, that originally B&o had the intention to use the BLC as BS5e and NL in between. But it never happened (as with the latest BV7, the Essense mkI)

@bnousr
                                    , you’re welcome.

Millemissen
                                    BRONZE Member
                                      • Flensborg————Danmark

@Carolpa

Sure, that will work…..has been done with different devices several times.
                                      That is pretty easy!

But I did not understand that that was meant.

’Adding’ something/the Encore to a BLC should also mean being able to use and control the individual sources  (of the Encore) within the NL/ML setup.

MM

Carolpa
                                      BRONZE Member

@Carolpa Sure, that will work…..has been done with different devices several times. That is pretty easy! But I did not understand that that was meant. ’Adding’ something/the Encore to a BLC should also mean being able to use and control the individual sources (of the Encore) within the NL/ML setup. MM

Several years ago I tried the usb of both, BLC and BS5e, in search of access to the BS5e. No luck…. presumably or better surely the lack of the correct software.

the BS5e was and is a very closed system in B&0 terms

Tignum
                                        GOLD Member
                                          • Netherlands

Hi MM, hi Carolpa, I was already assuming (edit: counting on the fact) that I cannot control the BS5e through BeoLink. My aim will be to play it through a Line-in of a BLC (using A.AUX to listen to it in any of the rooms), control the content by hand (option 0). Carolpa, you confirm my thought to use the PowerLink socket for that.

I think the BS5/BM5 is very classic cool, but I am hesitant to put another big, fan-cooled box somewhere. The BS5e looks just as cool, and I hope the directly accessible nature of it will make my user experience better than I like the app/core. The downside is the low/no level of control. But hey, maybe I should see walking to my BS5e similarly romantic as flipping a record! Both haptic experiences. Keep you posted!

bnousr
                                          BRONZE Member
                                            • Malmo, Sweden

@Tignum: The BS5 is what I would love to add to my Beosound installation/collection but issue of course that it’s just a bit limited when one have large music collection. But, leaving that asside, it’s a beautiful piece which would deserve to be re-launched again [Not trying to hi-jack and another thread might be needed for re-launch discussion] in the world of were it at least seems that a few people are starting to appreciate having a system to tinker around with more than just a phone. Just using the BS5 and the ‘mechanical’ aluminum wheel on this jukebox is a pure joy. When it was launched the headache was were to hide away the massive box but for the last couple of years I’m been lurking around several times been very close to buy one and to see to what extend it would be possible to tweak and improve the system.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 87 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.