BeoLink Passive

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Frog
      • Topics Started 18
      • Total Posts 66

Hi,

what, in the NL family,  replaces the BeoLink Passive? I have some speakers installed in a ceiling and wonder whether I can switch from having to use the BL Passive with a ML/NL gateway.

Millemissen
      BRONZE Member
        • Flensborg/Danmark
        • Topics Started 27
        • Total Posts 806

I am not sure what you want to do – where does the gateway fit in?
        Maybe you mean the Converter….and speaker connected to this?

If it is just about amplifying, the amp that B&O offers is called Beoamp 2 (which is pretty expensive).

From Atlona there are amps, that could be an alternative to this, but still rather expensive.

Basicly you could use any small and cheap digital/Class C amp.
        You can get some without volume control – but even with a volume control built in, you’d just have to turn them up to a fitting volume and leave that so. They won’t consume much power anyway.

MM

Frog
          • Topics Started 18
          • Total Posts 66

Thanks.

The issue is converting from NL to passive speakers. Can’t see how any of the options you listed can handle this.

Millemissen
          BRONZE Member
            • Flensborg/Danmark
            • Topics Started 27
            • Total Posts 806

How is the setup, that you’d like to create?

What do you already have and which NL-based devices do you have or want to use?

MM

Frog
              • Topics Started 18
              • Total Posts 66

Well I have a Beosystem 4 which will form the hub of the NL network and the speakers would be in the roof of a bathroom (beovox 1S). What I have done elsewhere is run ML to a ML Passive, then to the speakers. I need the ML/NL gateway to do the conversion. There doesn’t seem to be anything in the current NL line that would allow me to just receive NL and output to the passive speakers.

Guy
              BRONZE Member
                • Warwickshire, UK
                • Topics Started 16
                • Total Posts 1,044

If you are happy to keep using the BeoLink Passive to drive your speakers then there is no need to change.

There is no specific need to keep ML. Simply use the Beolink Passive’s PowerLink input and treat this as you would any other Active speaker.

If you need separate control of the bathroom speakers, then add an NL source with a Powerlink output.

Millemissen
                BRONZE Member
                  • Flensborg/Danmark
                  • Topics Started 27
                  • Total Posts 806

Agree with Guy.

The simplest thing would be to add an Essence MK2 – if you can get one.
                  Otherweise you’ll need the Core.
                  In this case you do not need the NL/ML Converter…..just your home network. Best use wired connection – be sure that your wireless network is working properly, in case you’d want to go for wifi.
                  This solution also offers you the option of using the sources of the Essence MK2/Core through your Beosystem 4 setup.

Please be aware that the Passive will need a special configured PL cable in order to turn on/off, when the PL/RJ45 from the Essence/Core is used.
                  You can contact Steve@SoundsHeavenly for further advice on cables – maybe someone can share the pin layout, if you want to DIY.

If you’d want to use NL/ML Converter solution – in order to keep your existing ML structure – you would also need an (ML-) Audiomaster in the ML chain or the socalled Powerbox, that can be used with the NL/ML Converter.
                  More about this later, if you should choose to go that route.

MM

Frog
                    • Topics Started 18
                    • Total Posts 66

I hadn’t considered the Essence, but really, I think my best option is still with the NL/ML converter as I can have the wired remote control to switch on/off.

It seems that B&O have a hole in their product mix here.

I have a Beomaster 5/Beosound 5 in the mix, so I’m OK for audiomasters, I need this alongside a ML Gateway for automation

alternatively, I could choose a standalone NL device to go in the bathroom, but I’m loathe to have something that would be affected by humidity.

Millemissen
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Flensborg/Danmark
                      • Topics Started 27
                      • Total Posts 806

It is always nice to have all informations, if you are requested to give an advice.

Knowing what we know now….I am sure that you’d need the NL/ML Converter in order to bridge the Beosystem 4 (and other NL devices) with your existing ML setup/the BS5.

Humidity might be a problem, yes – but will that be different than now.
                      Bridging with the Converter would give you some new possibilities in the setup….which a standalone Essence would not.

Here is an example:

5492585E-3892-47B9-9B79-284ACFD1382D

By the way – what do you mean by “the wired remote control to switch on/off.

MM

Frog
                        • Topics Started 18
                        • Total Posts 66

Not quite sure why I am chided about not providing enough info…. but anyway I’m going to have to use the configuration I have mentioned. I’m happy to stay with just an NL system with the ML components not being used so much. It means putting a NL/ML converter and a ML Passive in the ceiling void near the bathroom, but I guess that’s still the only way to do this. If I had confidence that a Beosound 35 would be safe from humidity – I’d probably try that – but it is unlikely.

The controller I mentioned is the IR eye which I’ve used successfully in a few bathrooms and they haven’t been affected by humidity and can be close-up controlled.

It’s a shame that B&O haven’t got a solution to receive NL (wired or wirelessly) – then output to a pair of passive speakers. Passive speakers – specially ones like Beovox 1 are relatively safe against humidity, so make ideal use for bathrooms.

Millemissen
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Flensborg/Danmark
                          • Topics Started 27
                          • Total Posts 806

It’s a shame that B&O haven’t got a solution to receive NL (wired or wirelessly) – then output to a pair of passive speakers. Passive speakers – specially ones like Beovox 1 are relatively safe against humidity, so make ideal use for bathrooms.

—————

That is basicly what B&O does with the Shape.
                          They put a BS Core, an amplifier and some passive speakers in a fancy package….just as an example.

As Guy already wrote:

If you are happy to keep using the BeoLink Passive to drive your speakers then there is no need to change.There is no specific need to keep ML. Simply use the Beolink Passive’s PowerLink input and treat this as you would any other Active speaker.

If you need separate control of the bathroom speakers, then add an NL source with a Powerlink output.

The Passive is here only used as an amplifier – the ir-eye has no function here.
                          You’d need a Beoremote One/BT to control the Essence/Core.
                          That is…..you could install the ir-eye, that fits with the Essence/Core and this way control this with an ir-remote/Beo4 or locally.
                          D1CF6516-91FD-46BB-945B-F44A1AFD42C5

MM

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds