AppleTV 4K dolby vision issues

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions AppleTV 4K dolby vision issues

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    babar
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 16

sorry for the confusion.  I’ll simplify below.

I have a BST +LG77″ G2 + BL18 + 19

I have an ATV box connected by way of a Balun kit to the LG.

I can play Apple purchased movies both thru the LG’s built-in AppleTV app and also thru the AppleTV box which is connected by way of a Balun kit.

In the former I am getting DolbyVision.  In the latter using the ATV Box I am not getting Dolby Vision.

Guy
      GOLD Member
        • Warwickshire, UK
        • Topics Started 16
        • Total Posts 1,046

I can’t really add much but have you worked your way through the suggestions on the Apple site here:  https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208074#:

Also I have changed the title of your thread to say ‘dolby’ instead of ‘don’t’.  I assume it was an autocorrect typo ?

Sandyb
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 1
          • Total Posts 293

Thanks – so you are using an HDMI extender (i.e what you refer to as the “Balun kit”) to connect the ATV across the room to the LG?

So, if that ATV is not running through the matrix, then I dont really have any suggestions.

I’m guessing you are in the Uk / London? Who did your installation? (I’m in London myself)

babar
            • Topics Started 1
            • Total Posts 16

Hi Guys, thanks!  I have gone thru the check list and commented below.

I went thru the apple checklist:

“Make sure your TV supports HDR10, HDR10+ or Dolby Vision” my LG G2 does support it

For HDR to work from external devices, the HDMI Deep Color option usually has to be set

to ‘4k’ from the ‘HDMI I have rechecked and for HDMI this is set to 4KCheck your HDMI cable
            If there’s an issue with your HDMI cable, you may see a message on your TV that says your HDMI cable may be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. If your Apple TV 4K is connected to a 4K compatible TV, you can run a two-minute test to check your HDMI cable connection. Go to Settings > Video and Audio and select Check HDMI Connection.

I did not find the option for check HDMI connection.  I did change it from YbYGYr to RGB High.  This reflected in the OLED77G2 shifting to HDR from SDR.  In the apple resolution options I switched to 1080p HDR so now getting better than 1080p SDR.

Check HDMI Cable for DolbyVision certified

there isn’t enough length to go thru the whole cable coming from the walll but in the 0.75m or so I saw there is nothing written.

the title reads “AppleTV 4K dolby vision issues” ; are you seeing something different?

Millemissen
            BRONZE Member
              • Flensborg/Danmark
              • Topics Started 27
              • Total Posts 808

There are lots of videos out there how to set your ATV4K in order to get the best video quality.
              This is an example of how these look:

IMG_0550

As I – now – understand it, your ATV is located in a distant room.
              (This has nothing to do with the matrix, you also have)
              Therefore you use the extender kit (Balun…).
              It might be that this does not support the required bandwith for these settings.

Best thing to do would be to relocate the ATV – if you possibly can – and plug it directly into the LG or the BST (with PUC) using a proper HDMI cable with at least 18 Gigabits per second speed.

MM

Guy
              GOLD Member
                • Warwickshire, UK
                • Topics Started 16
                • Total Posts 1,046

the title reads “AppleTV 4K dolby vision issues” ; are you seeing something different?

It does now, after I changed it! ?

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.