AppleTV 4K dolby vision issues

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions AppleTV 4K dolby vision issues

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    babar
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 16

Hi,
      I have a sound theatre connected to an LG 77” g2 and the apple tv directly into the tv.

When I play thru apple tv on hdmi1 I don’t get don’t vision.

When I play the same media (avatar water world) thru the apple tv app on the lg I get dolby vision.

I can check by going to the picture settings and see dolby  vision mode activated.  It says it is getting it on the top right via the soundbar

Am I doing something wrong here?

Am I losing dolby audio too by going direct to the tv?

Should the apple tv been connected directly to the sound theatre?

SimonWeir
        • Topics Started 4
        • Total Posts 51

I have a Theatre + LG G2 65” on motorised wall bracket (trading in for a G3 65” coming 30th May) with latest AppleTV 2022 unit (did have a 2017 device before when the Theatre first arrived last October and my comments the same) Vision works … I have the ATV going into the Theatre, so I can use the PUC.  I also have a Sky Q going into the Theatre, Dolby Vision works with PUC.

Bang Olufsen Manchester did need to change all my HDMI cables despite the cable stating HDMI 2.0 and worked when they installed on previous Eclipse but the Sky Q would not get 10 bit and the ATV did not offer 4:4:4, after a HDMI cable swap (again 2.0 from same manufacturer), now all working.

Additionally I have a Panasonic UB820 going into the TV in HDMI 4 and Vision works.

I suggest trying a different HDMI socket on the LG first, and 2nd try a new HDMI cable.  Also recommend everything going into the Theatre so you can use the BeoRemote One with PUC.

I cannot get the BeoRemote to use HDMI CEC for anything direct into the LG.  If you have a Theatre seems a shame to me in my opinion to have to use other remotes.

babar
          • Topics Started 1
          • Total Posts 16

Thanks Simon.

I too have a motorised bracket 🙂  I believe the installer may have mistakenly plugged into the AppleTV into the LG instead of the Theatre.  They installed a HDR Balun kit to send video to the screen from my rack which is on the other side of the room.

I switched to another HDMI port but no luck. Still not getting DolbyVision thru the AppleTV.  The AppleTV I have is the A2169 which supports HDMI 2.1 upto 4k60 HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

Do you think this is a cable issue as the AppleTV should give DolbyVision directly to the TV if connected directly shouldn’t it?

SimonWeir
            • Topics Started 4
            • Total Posts 51

It seems you may have the same issue I did resolved with a cable swap.  Makes no sense but it solved for me… seems the Theatre and LG and ATV are sensitive to some HDMIs.

I still get the occasional digital copy message on Disney Plus app on the ATV but a quick restart clears that.

At the same time, ask the installers to run a spare hdmi as well for future proofing, at least it is fed through the bracket in case you buy another device.  I also have a spare PUC lead run through as they are known to fail.  Both spare leads are hidden behind the port cover at the Theatre end and in my device cabinet at the other end.

Sandyb
              • Topics Started 1
              • Total Posts 293

Sounds like you are routing some of your video sources through a matrix to the Theatre?  If so, I do the same with my Sky Q, though thats the only source routed that way.

If your ATV 4K is passing through the matrix to the LG / theatre, then you need to make sure your matrix can pass through Dolby Vision.   Mine does not, so my ATV 4K doesn’t go through the matrix and is connected directly to the Theatre without issues.

If you matrix does support DV, make sure that that the matrix settings for that output (that carries the ATV) is set to an EDID profile that allows DV (i.e full UHD). Not sure what your pre-theatre television was, but it may be that just that the matrix output settings need to be toggled to full UHD.  Then the ATV and Theatre/Lg will recognise the whole chain as full UHD capable.

SimonWeir
                • Topics Started 4
                • Total Posts 51

Thanks SandyB, for clarity on your system.   I am unsure about barbar, but all of my devices are straight into the Theatre using HDMI 1 & 2 (Sky Q and Apple TV A2843 – 2022 version with Ethernet) and 3 for the eARC using supplied B&O HDMI.  On the LG, only using HDMI 3 for the eARC and 4 for the Panasonic UB820 UHD Blu-ray.  No matrix for me.  Everything can play highest definition ie DV and on the Sky 10 bit HDR HLG.  Just played around with the HDMIs and it does not matter whether the Apple TV is connected into the Theatre or direct into the LG I get DV and 4:4:4.  Also swapped the Apple TV box for my old 2017 device and same can get DV whether connected into the Theatre or LG.  PS on latest 2.5.3 (141) Theatre software.

Edit… I missed you are sending from the other side of the room via HDR Balun, SandyB is on the money, probably not cables but the HDMI extender and it’s setting.

babar
                  • Topics Started 1
                  • Total Posts 16

Hi Simon and Sandy,

thank you so much for your help.  I worked with a recommended official installer of a store which sold me the system.  Given the installation of an electric lift and custom panel for the sound theatre it was an extensive install.  They wired the HDMI cable directly from the appletv into the LG.  It’s barely been six months and they are suggesting I purchase a service agreement to come and trouble shoot.

This is pretty annoying to say the least…

Sandyb
                    • Topics Started 1
                    • Total Posts 293

you referred earlier to an HDmI balun – which suggests you have a matrix video distributor in you rack? Is that not correct?

This should be easy to sort out, but its a bit tricky w/o knowing exactly your setup

babar
                      • Topics Started 1
                      • Total Posts 16

Hi Sandy,

“HDR Balun kit to send video to screen from rack over CAT6” is what has been installed by the “Certified B&O Installation Partner”.

I could take the rack out to find out exactly what has been used.

I had another person earlier install a Neo Matrix 4×4 Pro which ends in other rooms in the house.  I don’t really use this much though but it’s on the rack.

Millemissen
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Flensborg/Danmark
                        • Topics Started 27
                        • Total Posts 806

This means that the extender kit is used for something else…..but not the ATV, right???

It is unbelievable that a “Certified B&O Installation Partner“ would not adjust an installation, that has been done less than 6 month ago for free….
                        ….and instead demands a service agreement before doing the job.

Also a certified B&O partner should prioritize the direct connection to the Theatre and the use of PUC for controlling.

MM

babar
                          • Topics Started 1
                          • Total Posts 16

Thanks for replying MM.

The extender kit (HDR Balun kit) which the “Certified B&O Installation Partner” installed connects my AppleTV in the rack to the LG 77″ G2 in the living room.

The B&O partner rates are as below:

Call Out Charge (Weekdays 
                          £110.00 
                          Call Out Charge (Weekend/Bank Holiday) 
                          £180.00 
                          Subsequent Hourly Rate (Weekdays) 
                          £70.00 
                          Subsequent Hourly Rate (Weekend/Bank Holiday) 
                          £95.00 
                          Engineering Day Rate 
                          £400.00 
                          Engineering Day Rate (Weekends and Bank Holidays) 
                          £600.00

The monthly plan starts at GBP 22 for the rack rate, GBP 45 for a 10% discount, GBP 65 for a 30% discount not including VAT and GBP 95 for unlimited calls (not including VAT).  *The above rates apply to business hours (prime shift) An uplift of 75% is applicable to 24x7x365 cover.  With each of these plans come respective response levels etc.

to be honest when I was buying the system I thought it would be a simple B&O buy, install and forget about it.  I’ve had different B&O stuff over the years and while nothing as elaborate as this never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have to pay someone once the install is done.

To top it off I have been travelling and only been in the uk for  3 weeks since it was installed.

jvezina
                            • Topics Started 1
                            • Total Posts 43

Is deep color selected in either the Theatre or the LG screen for that HDMI input ?

Otherwise, only 8-bit video is possible.

jvezina
                              • Topics Started 1
                              • Total Posts 43

Also, commercial HDR or Dolby Vision broadcasts from streaming services are all in 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. 4:4:4 is only from feeds from computers and gaming consoles.

Sandyb
                                • Topics Started 1
                                • Total Posts 293

Again, it’s hard to help without you describing more closely the setup to the Theatre.

It does sound like you have your ATV connected into your matrix, and out to the Theatre (thats what the HDMI balun is for after all!)  I have the same matrix setup in my home, and both of my Theatre rooms are connected to the matrix (albeit they only get/use one source from it).

If you have a Neo Pro 4*4, which is exactly the same as mine, it does NOT pass through Dolby Vision.  It has a “profile” setting for 4K HDR, but I do not believe that covers Dolby Vision, only regular HDR.

So when Theatre does its handshake with the matrix and Apple TV, the matrix will only pass through 4K HDR, and not DV.

That’s why in my case, I have connected a ATV 4k directly to my Theatre, and I do not route it through the matrix, for the above reasons. The only thing I route through the matrix now is my SKY Q set top box for regular broadcast tv, and DV is not a factor there.

The unfortunate thing with the Theatre is that it has no matrix integration like the previous B&O TVs, so while you can receive signals/sources from anything connected to the matrix, you cannot switch between different matrix inputs using the Beoremote / Theatre.

Anyway, thats my strong guess as to what is happening.

again though, you would need to describe the setup a bit more clearly for anyone to help here.

babar
                                  • Topics Started 1
                                  • Total Posts 16

thanks for your reply.

to your first post:

The AppleTV is connected to the LG and no settings have been changed.  Further I have as mentioned above experimented with using HDMI 3, but it still doesn’t show DolbyVision.  When a feed comes with HDR the LG automatically selects the right picture mode such as when playing the same video using the built in ATV app in the LG.

to your second:

“Also, commercial HDR or Dolby Vision broadcasts from streaming services are all in 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. 4:4:4 is only from feeds from computers and gaming consoles.”

I am not using commercial or dolby vision broadcasts.  As mentioned I am using Avatar the way of the water, purchased using appleTV, and playing it back on A) the LG AppleTV built in app and b) on the Apple TV which supports DolbyVision.

best.

Sandyb
                                    • Topics Started 1
                                    • Total Posts 293

I’m slightly confused, as you say the ATV is connected to the LG, but elsewhere you mention the HDI balun to bring things from the rack to the TV/Theatre.

So does the Apple TV physically sit next to / close to the LG / Theatre?

Forgive me if I am missing something.

babar
                                      • Topics Started 1
                                      • Total Posts 16

Hi Sandy,

sorry if it getting confusing:

I’m slightly confused, as you say the ATV is connected to the LG, but elsewhere you mention the HDI balun to bring things from the rack to the TV/Theatre.

There is an AppleTV is in the rack.  It connected to the LG via the HDI Balun bringing the feed from the rack to HDMI 1 on the LG.  Conclusively, the AppleTV connects to the LG using the HDI Balun, and the former is in a rack which is 10 metres away.

So does the Apple TV physically sit next to / close to the LG / Theatre?

Answered above

Forgive me if I am missing something.

I hope this clarifies.

Sandyb
                                        • Topics Started 1
                                        • Total Posts 293

Your setup then must be as I thought.

The ATV is connected using HDMi to your matrix.  The matrix outputs via network cable (CAT 6 to Cat 7 network cable) across your room (assuming this is hidden) to the LG/Theatre.  At the LG/Theatre end, the network cable goes into the HDMI Balun, and HDMI comes out of the Balun and goes into the LG.

Thats how matrix setups work.

And if you have the Neo Pro 4*4, it is not DV capable.

So that is why you are not getting DV “from your Apple TV’. Its the Neo matrix in the middle that is preventing it.

It sounds like your matrix / rack setup was done a while ago by one installer, and now you are using a different installer?  Not every installer is familiar with the nuances on different matrices.  The Atlona 4*4 in recent years has been DV (i.e full UHD) capable, but the Neo Pro 4*4, whilst almost indentical, does not pass through Dolby Vision.

It’s really that simple. And if you want DV from your ATV, then you need to literally directly connect it to either the Theatre or LG (doesn’t really matter which).

babar
                                          • Topics Started 1
                                          • Total Posts 16

HI Sandy,

The ATV is connected using HDMi to your matrix.  The matrix outputs via network cable (CAT 6 to Cat 7 network cable) across your room (assuming this is hidden) to the LG/Theatre.  At the LG/Theatre end, the network cable goes into the HDMI Balun, and HDMI comes out of the Balun and goes into the LG.

this is correct.

And if you have the Neo Pro 4*4, it is not DV capable.

So that is why you are not getting DV “from your Apple TV’. Its the Neo matrix in the middle that is preventing it.

It sounds like your matrix / rack setup was done a while ago by one installer, and now you are using a different installer?  Not every installer is familiar with the nuances on different matrices.  The Atlona 4*4 in recent years has been DV (i.e full UHD) capable, but the Neo Pro 4*4, whilst almost indentical, does not pass through Dolby Vision.

the two devices are NOT connected in any way.  the 4*4 works with another Apple TV and serves other rooms. (I have mentioned this earlier in the page).

Sandyb
                                            • Topics Started 1
                                            • Total Posts 293

er, ok, though I dont understand the paragraph below that you wrote earlier…

“There is an AppleTV is in the rack.  It connected to the LG via the HDI Balun bringing the feed from the rack to HDMI 1 on the LG.  Conclusively, the AppleTV connects to the LG using the HDI Balun, and the former is in a rack which is 10 metres away.”

There’s not much more I can add really – i.e if the ATV, that is feeding the Theatre/LG setup, is going via the matrix, then as above, you won’t get DV. It’s as  simple as that.   Otherwise it doesn’t make sense – an ATV does not output video via network cable, that can then go into a balun, and then HDMI out to the LG.  The ATV (in question) must be HDMI out into the matrix, and then out via network cable to the Balun.  i.e it must be going via the matrix.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds