TV Recommendation

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions TV Recommendation

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    pestria
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 2
      • Total Posts 8

HI

We’re looking to upgrade our BV8-40 main room TV.   

We’re committed to a B&O model, so we can continue to enjoy ML compatibility with our music sources and to also be able to use our B&O speakers which are attached to the existing TV.

However, we’re not massive TV watchers (normal tv programmes and the odd netflix film rental) so don’t really want to run to the expense of a new set.

Our ideal TV would be 48-55″ screen size, few hdmi inputs, ML compatible and an expected life with light use of (say) 5+ years.  Our max budget would be around £2000.

Which used/pre-loved TVs would you recommend, Any further recommendations of 2nd vendors would be helpful as well to avoid the ebay lottery.

Thanks

Alan

Ravsted
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 3
        • Total Posts 54

Hi,

a quick search on beoworld or trading sites reveals sooo many panel issues related to BV10. I would not consider BV10 as its remaining ‘life’ is a kind of ‘ticking bomb’…

Beovision 9 is 50″ … Prices are low. But it’s a big ‘beast’ …

BV7-55 is in my opinion also a huge upgrade in terms of build quality, materials and sound performance (BeoLab 7.6)

Good luck finding your next Beovision

Ravsted

Guy
          • Warwickshire, UK
          • Topics Started 16
          • Total Posts 1,047

a quick search on beoworld or trading sites reveals sooo many panel issues related to BV10. I would not consider BV10 as its remaining ‘life’ is a kind of ‘ticking bomb’…

Slightly flippant comment, but my BV10 cost me £250. At that price I can afford to take a bit of risk … ?

Steph
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 12
            • Total Posts 36

Zero problems with my 2010 BV 10-40 🙂 ?
            But old technology of course.
            May be a BV Horizon, even if the Android is outdated too.

Carolpa
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 9
              • Total Posts 199

No discussion – in this case choose the BV11

Millemissen
              BRONZE Member
                • Flensborg/Danmark
                • Topics Started 27
                • Total Posts 809

You can use the (e)ARC HDMI from the tv to a free HDMI input on the BSys3…..that will have to be configured and activated with the B&O remote, when you want to listen with the speakers connected there.
                Also the volume is controlled with the B&O remote.

Personally I find this a bit fiddly, but it is doable.

MM

Stoobie
                GOLD Member
                  • Topics Started 9
                  • Total Posts 91

With my LG OLED TV connected I use the headphone out of the TV to red/white RCA plugs into a SCART convertor on the BS3. This works perfectly for me and the volume is controlled by BEO4/BS3. There are S/PDIF sockets on the BS3 but I don’t know enough to use them. You will not be able to distribute any sound that comes in via a HDMI cable without a digital to analog convertor as ML cannot distribute digital sound. This may be the same if you use the S/PDIF.

I do not use the tuner on my BS3. It can get UK Freeview HD but I rely on the TV for that. I also use a BEO5 remote so I don’t need the TV remote. It doesn’t do th Magic remote stuff but is perfectly useable.

Basically I got the BS3 for the same reason you are considering because I have ML everywhere and moved from a BeoVision 5. At the time a newer B&O TV (plus nearly £1k for the NL/ML converter) were well out of my price range.

pestria
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 2
                    • Total Posts 8

I love the look of the BV-11, however I’m drawn to the Beosystem 3 solution overall.

Panels go kaput and are being updated all the time – this leaves expensive B&O options vulnerable.

Using the Beosystem 3 will hopefully give a more than acceptable sound which can be linked to whatever quality panel is desired – so for us who have ML it seems a very sensible solution.

pestria
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Topics Started 2
                      • Total Posts 8

I started this thread a few months ago – and never made a final decision.

Basically this is down to the fact that I’m no longer sure a B&O TV is that much of a good idea.  Even B&O themselves are going down the road of considering the panels an updatable item.

In a nutshell we want a good quality panel connected to B&O sound.

‘B&O Sound’ would mean a soundbar for normal tv but be able to utilise our Beolab 8000 for music stereo.  If we could ‘pull’ ML into the sound system then that would complete the perfect set up.

I’ve looked a Stage – but can’t see how you’d connect the Beolab 8000s or ML.

Beoconnect Core – does the stereo music ok, but not sure how you’d connect a soundbar (Stage) for normal TV.

A Beosystem 3 – this does ML and music stereo.  Could it send output to a Stage?

Any help once again would be gratefully received.

pestria
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 2
                        • Total Posts 8

I started this thread a few months ago – and never made a final decision.

Basically this is down to the fact that I’m no longer sure a B&O TV is that much of a good idea.  Even B&O themselves are going down the road of considering the panels an updatable item.

In a nutshell we want a good quality panel connected to B&O sound.

‘B&O Sound’ would mean a soundbar for normal tv but be able to utilise our Beolab 8000 for music stereo.  If we could ‘pull’ ML into the sound system then that would complete the perfect set up.

I’ve looked a Stage – but can’t see how you’d connect the Beolab 8000s or ML.

Beoconnect Core – does the stereo music ok, but not sure how you’d connect a soundbar (Stage) for normal TV.

A Beosystem 3 – this does ML and music stereo.  Could it send output to a Stage?

Any help once again would be gratefully received.

Ianc2
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Topics Started 3
                          • Total Posts 17

What other pieces do you need to use on masterlink ?

If it is speakers in a seperate room , with a processor like the Emotiva I had you can add them as a zone , or you can add an Apple AirPort Express and get them on the WiFi network , then stream to them . A lesser quality option is to add a Bluetooth adapter to link a phone etc .
                          The Apple way will a;so work in reverse if needed , eg: play cd on the network .

Also b&0 speakers can be used with any brand of equipment , though the easiest way is to buy something with rca outputs for surround etc and a 12vdc trigger output on mini-jack .

I will add a picture of a system I ran for a while using a Vizio 4k smart panel , outlaw/Emotiva processors and meridian/Oppo disks.
                          Apple TV , dvd etc hdmi to processor , and arc-hdmi from smart apps in tv to processor .

I still have the adapter cables and the little outlaw surround processor if you are interested in buying them ?
                          Also the 7-1 and 65” tv , but that might prove a little bulky to ship !!
                          I have a b&o pc box somewhere that I never used , maybe research if one of those can integrate masterlink into whatever you end up buying .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.