Restore or upgrade Beolab / Beovox Penta Crossovers MK1 vs MK2

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rendboell
      • Topics Started 4
      • Total Posts 27

Hello Beoworld,

I would like to know if I should restore the crossover in my Beovox Pentas with new electrolytic capacitors or upgrade to a mix of electrolytic and MKP capacitors?

I have the Beovox Penta MK1 Type 6611, and have read somewhere that the Beovox Penta can have both MK1 and MK2 types of crossovers, and that the Beolab Penta MK3 crossover is the same as in MK2.

I have not opened my Pentas to see which type of crossover I have, and before I do so to restore or upgrade the crossover, I would like to know which of the MK1 or MK2 type of crossover is considered the best or most balanced?

I have found the two types crossovers in the service manuals for the Penta MK1 vs MK2:

(1) Beovox Penta MK1 Type 6611 / Beolab Penta MK1 Type 6601.

(2) Beolab Penta MK2 Type 6621.

(all Danish model types).

I would also like to know if an improvement can be done by upgrading vs restoring capacitors and if you can recommend not too expensive brands of electrolytic and MKP capacitors?

I have inserted the two types of crossovers, as well as compared and marked the changes, see pictures below.

Best regards,

Jens

Penta MK1 crossover (Beovox Type 6611 & Beolab Type 6601):

Delefilter Penta 1 Beovox 6611 & Beolab Type 6601

Penta MK1 crossover changes compared to MK2:

Delefilter Penta 1 Beovox 6611 & Beolab Type 6601 (ændringer)

Penta MK2 crossover (Beovox Type 6611 & Beolab Type 6621):

Delefilter Penta 2 Beolab Type 6621

Penta MK2 crossover changes compared to MK1:

Delefilter Penta 2 Beolab Type 6621 (ændringer)

Mark-sf
        • Topics Started 0
        • Total Posts 258

It is not recommended that you switch topology types as many of those changes are in notch filters and B&O likely had different drivers or a different batch that needed compensation. As far as parts quality, since all bands are in parallel and there are a lot of parts, I would focus on replacing any electrolytics in the mid and tweeter circuits with poly caps as it does not appear there are any iron-core inductors in there. Check out either the Dayton or Fast PA Series from Solen. I have had excellent results with these.

oiphy
          • Topics Started 2
          • Total Posts 4
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds