Quick B&O product quiz!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi Beoworlders,

I have a challenge for you…

IMG_4046

First, I want to say a huge THANK YOU to Bang & Olufsen for letting me see this amazing display of historic products which they have just obtained from a private collector! These items still need to be curated and displayed, then it is hoped that they will form part of a special exhibition showing the history of B&O. You can see the full list of images on my Facebook page (you don’t need a Facebook account to view this) How many B&O products can you identify here?

https://www.facebook.com/soundsheavenlycables

Kind regards, Steve.

Dillen

The Hyperbo is a replica. As is the one in the Struer museum.
      Don’t get me wrong, – it’s a very nice piece indeed, but it’s not a genuine B&O product.
      The one from Kims collection, that B&O apparently bought, I believe, has a Superbo chassis. Presumably because spare Hyperbo chassis’ are nowhere to be found.

The Mini 43 is the Export version, meant for the swedish market.
      Quite interesting.

One I cannot readily identify is the (presumably) S-model near the camera in the photo with the Master 38RG, Master 39S and JET 512RG in that order behind it.
      And its record player could be a non-B&O. The tonearm could look a bit like a PE.
      Which model is this?

Martin

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Dillen.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for this information, that is very interesting.

To avoid blocking up the Beoworld server, I have just posted one photo here.  You can see all the close-up photos on my Facebook page.  You should see more information there but please let me know if anything isn’t clear as I will be preparing a video with more views of the products in the next few days.

Kind regards, Steve.

Dillen

Yes, that’s what I did and found this:

https://www.facebook.com/soundsheavenlycables/photos/pcb.5676106309106059/5676099505773406

What is the (presumably) S-model near the camera, with the Master 38RG, Master 39S and JET 512RG in that order behind it?

Martin

Hi Martin,

That is a good question! I wasn’t able to identify this, no-one else who I have asked seems to know either.  I wonder if it is a non-B&O cabinet that has had the gramophone added later?

Kind regards, Steve.

Pindsen
        BRONZE Member
          • Denmark

Hi Steve,

There are from time to time dicussions about what is going on in all the “old” B&O factory buildings.
          To my knowledge the Farm has been “taken back” by B&O after they at first tried to sell it and then later rentet it to the Struer municipality, maybe B&O is going to use it again?
          We know that Factory no. 5 is the aluminium production, but after your visit do you then  know what is going on in factory no. 3 and 4.

I don’t know if factory no. 2 is used by B&O or part of Sound Hub as Factory no.1?

Personally I think it could be cool if B&O started up production again in Struer (Made in Denmark). We hear here in DK that more and more companies take back production from especially China but also other countries, maybe B&O has similar plans?

/Pindsen

Hi Pindsen,

I don’t know B&O’s future plans for each building (even if I did, it wouldn’t be my place to share this), but I know that things are looking positive for the company, with a good financial outlook and employee numbers rising again.

The Sound Hub is an exciting venture and there were people from various different companies in Struer when I was there who were using this facility.

This is certainly a positive time for B&O and I am interested to see what the future holds.

Kind regards, Steve.

Millemissen
          BRONZE Member
            • Flensborg/Danmark

Hi Steve, There are from time to time dicussions about what is going on in all the “old” B&O factory buildings. To my knowledge the Farm has been “taken back” by B&O after they at first tried to sell it and then later rentet it to the Struer municipality, maybe B&O is going to use it again? We know that Factory no. 5 is the aluminium production, but after your visit do you then know what is going on in factory no. 3 and 4. I don’t know if factory no. 2 is used by B&O or part of Sound Hub as Factory no.1? Personally I think it could be cool if B&O started up production again in Struer (Made in Denmark). We hear here in DK that more and more companies take back production from especially China but also other countries, maybe B&O has similar plans? /Pindsen

————

Hi Pindsen

The Farm is not sold and is not for sale anymore – what B&O is planning is not made public…..probably they haven’t even decided yet. I assume that the collection that they have bought recently might be on display there some time in the future.

The Farm certainly is not suitable for any production.
            As for ‘taking back production to Struer’ I can hardly imagine that they would do so……however I have no inside knowledge what so ever.
            As you know the aluminium production is in Struer (Fab 5) – they certainly have no plans for changing anything there.
            Please do not forget that a lot is produced (or rather assempled) in the former B&O, now Tymphany owned factory in the Czech Rep…..which is EU!
            https://investor.bang-olufsen.com/news-releases/news-release-details/bang-olufsen-divests-its-czech-subsidiary-bang-olufsen-sro/

The Fab 4 is the Head Quarter and more, called the Innovation Lab (Steve has videos which show some of what is going on there).
            Fab 5 is where (apart from what is located in Lyngby/Copenhagen) the activities, that previously were spread over several locations in Struer now are concentrated.

The old buildings – Fab 1/2 – are used by B&O (e.g. the Cube) as part of the Sound Hub Denmark projects.

Please also see my post from June 14, 2022 at 4:56 pm:

B&O Struer visit

MM

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Millemissen.
            • This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Millemissen.
          Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.