N.Radio and NetRadio

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions N.Radio and NetRadio

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Frog
    GOLD Member
      • Topics Started 18
      • Total Posts 66

Hi,

anyone else having problems getting the BBC Radio channels on both N.Radio (mine on a Beosound 5) and NetRadio (on a Beosystem 4)?

I’m using this in Spain, it was fine yesterday, but both have connection errors now.

it’s working fine in the UK for me though

I wonder if the BBC have switched off their non-BBC Sounds support – although B&O assured me that it wasn’t going to be an issue!

Anonymous
        • Topics Started 11
        • Total Posts 63

I just checked N.RADIO on Beoport and the BBC stations will no longer play (they were working a few weeks ago), so it looks like this could be a result of the end of their ‘Shoutcast’ service which was due to be switched of mid-2023.

EDIT:  You have probably seen that I added a post about this on an older thread for completeness, but as you have also mentioned NetRadio it is worth keeping this new thread too!

Frog
        GOLD Member
          • Topics Started 18
          • Total Posts 66

Strangely though, it’s working OK for me in the uk… at least NetRadio.

twneeve
            • Topics Started 0
            • Total Posts 5

I’m in the UK and I’ve now lost all my BBC Radio stations (not sure exactly when they stopped; working when last used on 14 June but been away for a couple of days) on N Radio via a Beosound 5. I have been getting a message broadcast by the BBC over the last few months saying they are making changes to their streams and they would stop working mid 2023. I had assumed as the BBC is a major UK broadcaster that B&O would automatically switch to the new stream, looks like I was a bit naive. Now searching for a solution!

Mr10Percent
              • Topics Started 8
              • Total Posts 456

The problem is not B&O, it’s the BBC wanting to lock everyone into their (paid) subscription services.  A lot of stations are moving away from vTune, TuneIn etc…

I think this is why B&O Radio was rolled out in the BeoApp…..it sorta gets around some of the short term licensing issues but stations are limited and often territorial.

An embedded VPN on your Router (if supported) my give you limited workaround in some cases??

Frog
              GOLD Member
                • Topics Started 18
                • Total Posts 66

Well it has happened; they were warned; they said it wouldn’t be a problem; then it is…

here is the response from B&O

——-

Thank you for your patience thus far.

We received an update from our relative department and we will do our best to assist you.

Upon reviewing your case, we kindly ask you to take a look at this link as we believe that the issue you are experiencing is most likely related to this change that BBC made. We are currently investigating what we can do and will let you know when there are further updates.

Should you require further assistance in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Mr10Percent
                  • Topics Started 8
                  • Total Posts 456

Yes. As per my last post. BBC are withdrawing free services. I am reading the same thing on Auralic board, same issue but less contact with Naim board and hear its happening through two to three layers of separation.

BBC want you to have a TV Licence (if in the UK) and subscribe to either iPlayer or BBC Sound.

The BBC are a totally out-of-date organisation and need shutting down, re-inventing and go to full commercial viability rather than rely on blunt extorsion (under pain of penalty or imprisonment if in the UK) of the licence fee.

This is not a B&O fault by any measure.

Guy
                  GOLD Member
                    • Warwickshire, UK
                    • Topics Started 16
                    • Total Posts 1,044

BBC are withdrawing free services.

BBC Sounds (radio) is still free and there are no plans to change that! You do not need a TV Licence to listen to BBC radio (FM or DAB) or BBC Sounds (internet). Increasingly you do need to ‘log in’ to listen, but there is no payment involved.

Guy
                    GOLD Member
                      • Warwickshire, UK
                      • Topics Started 16
                      • Total Posts 1,044

Not really related to N.RADIO or Net Radio (as the thread title) I today thought I’d check whether my OneRemote (International Receiver Company) radio can still receive BBC internet radio. I bought this when I lived overseas to access BBC radio, hence haven’t used it recently because here in UK I can listen to BBC on FM.

Anyway, here’s the outcome:

IMG_7016

So clearly the answer is ‘no’.  I confirmed this by logging into the Frontier Nuvola Smart Radio interface, which controls the stations that I listen to on both this and my kitchen radio (a Hama IR110).  As you can see, the interface knows that one of my devices is incompatible with the listed BBC stations, although the Hama kitchen radio still plays them without problem. (click to enlarge)

Screenshot (168)

Luckily (for when UK FM is switched off) my OneRemote radio has the option to play DAB, albeit the quality is lower compared to the previously available BBC internet stream.  I just tested and it works well with full (direct or indirect) Beo4 control.

IMG_7015

So yes this BBC stream re-shuffle is causing a few headaches (more than just N.RADIO and NetRadio) but nothing insurmountable so far!

Mr10Percent
                        • Topics Started 8
                        • Total Posts 456

BBC are withdrawing free services.

BBC Sounds (radio) is still free and there are no plans to change that! You do not need a TV Licence to listen to BBC radio (FM or DAB) or BBC Sounds (internet). Increasingly you do need to ‘log in’ to listen, but there is no payment involved.

I thought iPlayer (definately) and sound needed a link to your licence? Fair-enough.

Lets dust-off this discussion in a years time and see if it still holds true or not?

Guy
                        GOLD Member
                          • Warwickshire, UK
                          • Topics Started 16
                          • Total Posts 1,044

I thought iPlayer (definately) and sound needed a link to your licence? Fair-enough.

iPlayer has no direct link to your TV licence – when you log in and start to stream it just asks whether you have a TV Licence and you click ‘yes’. I suppose they could track fairly easily using ip address etc. There is no such question/requirement for BBC Sounds.

Lets dust-off this discussion in a years time and see if it still holds true or not?

👍

Can’t imagine it changing before the general election; assuming that they have a say, current govt wouldn’t want to upset all those older voters who rely on radio for company!

I am hopeful that BBC FM will continue until at least 2030, and still be free!

Millemissen
                          GOLD Member
                            • Flensborg/Danmark
                            • Topics Started 27
                            • Total Posts 806

BBC RADIO 6 playing on my Theatre (currently german ip) = B&O Radio.

IMG_0577

MM

Millemissen
                            GOLD Member
                              • Flensborg/Danmark
                              • Topics Started 27
                              • Total Posts 806

Via the Apple Music app I also get BBC RADIO 6 – obviously they use TuneIN

IMG_0578

Also playing here using the native TuneIN app.

MM

Guy
                              GOLD Member
                                • Warwickshire, UK
                                • Topics Started 16
                                • Total Posts 1,044

Further stream details from my Frontier Nuvola Smart Radio interface:

This shows what my two devices support – the top one being my OneRemote radio that does not work with BBC. Kitchen Radio is Hama IR110.

Screenshot (169)

And this shows the available streams from the BBC (click to enlarge):

Screenshot (170)

Millemissen
                                GOLD Member
                                  • Flensborg/Danmark
                                  • Topics Started 27
                                  • Total Posts 806

BBC RADIO 6 also plays fine on the Essence MK2….which is an ASE product.

Only the (old) radio platform on the V1 tv is having the problem.
                                  (Not a big deal, since the V1 can join an Essence MK2 or start it directly as an connected/linked source….if configured so).

MM

Frog
                                  GOLD Member
                                    • Topics Started 18
                                    • Total Posts 66

Well the latest response from B&O support

——-

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry to say that with third party services changes can occur beyond the initial mentioned once which would require additional actions from our side to see about remedial options. Our technical department tested the BBC functionality based on the initial input with regards to the changes and found no impact but these changes were further altered since then which caused this issue regrettably.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us again. I wish you a lovely day.

—-

I’ve asked them when they will fix it.

Frog
                                    GOLD Member
                                      • Topics Started 18
                                      • Total Posts 66

And their latest reply. Looks like we just have to wait.

Thank you for getting back to us so quickly, we appreciate your prompt reply and are happy to answer your questions.

Our supervisor advised us that this is currently being looked into in order to determine what we can doe here, we will update you once we have further update.
                                      We hope you find this information useful, & apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you & appreciate the time and patience you’ve afforded us this far.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have further doubts or other questions, while we get back to you.

Guy
                                      GOLD Member
                                        • Warwickshire, UK
                                        • Topics Started 16
                                        • Total Posts 1,044

And their latest reply. Looks like we just have to wait.

Thanks for chasing this and keeping us up to date. Are they looking at BBC streams on both N.RADIO and NetRadio? (You said the latter was working in UK)

ajames
                                          • Topics Started 10
                                          • Total Posts 40

I lost BBC stations from two of my Internet Radios, however, I can still hear Radio 4 on LW through a Dansette radio from the 1960’s and even older valve radios.

Guy
                                          GOLD Member
                                            • Warwickshire, UK
                                            • Topics Started 16
                                            • Total Posts 1,044

I lost BBC stations from two of my Internet Radios, however, I can still hear Radio 4 on LW through a Dansette radio from the 1960’s and even older valve radios.

Excellent!  But sadly the last sentence of this article suggests that you have only another year to enjoy Radio 4 on LW!  https://radiotoday.co.uk/2023/05/more-details-announced-regarding-bbc-radio-4-long-wave-switch-off/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds