Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoVision Horizon vs. Countour

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    steve1977
    BRONZE Member

Title says it. Horizon is discontinued and replaced by Contour. 2nd hand Horizon are around and not crazily expensive.

Contour has OLED (i.e., clearly a better screen). I find the Horizon design more appealing.

Both don’t have the “B&O curtain”, right?

I know people dislike the old Android OS on the Horizon, but I would likely anyways use an Apple TV. Do both Horizon and Contour have a place to slot in an ATV?

How is the webos on the Horizon/Eclipse? Is it modded to give me a B&O UI or will I see LG logo and ads?

Beolink works with both?

Sandyb
      BRONZE Member

I dont think either have a slot / space for an Apple TV.

Unless you’re wall mounting though, it should be pretty easy to attach one to the back of either.

When it comes to the Horizon and its OS – the Android OS is one thing (early version, not good), but the general TV OS (there is a B&O non Android part for settings etc)wasnt stable. That may have become better (owners may help out with responses), but the Android OS won’t get any updates really.

The Horizon OS has s (&O) section for settings / setup etc, but mainly what you see is Android OS (some dont mind it, I found it not great).  With the Contour, you will see pretty much the LG webOS, which is such better than the Android OS.

There is no B&O based OS anymore on their Beovisions.

Personally I’d steer well clear of the Horizon – the LCD screen in it is god awful. The Horizon only really has a slightly nicer design (than the Contour) in its favour. Unfortunately, its also only a standalone unit (no additional speakers) and is way too expensive for what it is.

steve1977
        BRONZE Member

The Contour is also a stand-alone unit without additional speakers?

If I am greeted by an LG logo when starting the Contour, this is another positive point for the Horizon.

To summarize for my use case:

Horizon: Less than half the price, nicer design, no LG logo or ads

Contour: Much better picture quality (OLED)

Carolpa
          BRONZE Member

Horizon:

• I expect an ATV will fit behind the back covers (never tried though),
            • Android OS isn’t the best. It has sometimes strange behaviours. But ours is still one which is often used,
            • As described the Horizon settings menu’s are B&o like and sure WebOS is better then Android TV,
            • the Horizon is NOT a stand-alone tv. Additional PL speakers can be fitted (it has a similar Sound setup as the BV11).
            • AND it still has curtains

steve1977
            BRONZE Member

Thanks. Leaning more and more towards a used Horizon though now.

You are right. Horizon even has a sound module and WISA.

One question: Is it possible to set it to start always with Apple TV? If so, do the curtains still show and can I still use beolink and googlelink/chromecast?

Also, have you tried to connect bluetooth controllers (gamepads) to the Horizon?

Millemissen
              BRONZE Member
                • Flensborg————Danmark

Thanks. Leaning more and more towards a used Horizon though now. You are right. Horizon even has a sound module and WISA. One question: Is it possible to set it to start always with Apple TV? If so, do the curtains still show and can I still use beolink and googlelink/chromecast? Also, have you tried to connect bluetooth controllers (gamepads) to the Horizon?

———

Sure you can start direct with AppleTV (or rather with a source that is connected to a HDMI input on the Horizon).
                You just push the TV button and press List untill AppleTV is in the display of the remote and then ok with middle round button. Or much easier….you use one of the MyButtons for this (including the sound setting you might have made specifically for this source/the ATV).
                The curtains – of course – still will open.

Yes, you can use Beolink (NetworkLink), if the Horizon (and your setup) is configured for this.

Not sure what you mean by ‘googlelink/chromecast’?

I have no experience with ‘gamepads’ – probably someone else has. Do you mean controlling the tv or the ATV (for gaming)?

MM

matador
                  • Paris France

Hi Millemissen,

When you quote someone’s post you may want to unclic the “Block quote” button in the toolbar after a carriage return to have your message displayed as a plain message.

Capture d’écran 2022-06-05 à 10.03.25

steve1977
                  BRONZE Member

Thanks. Good to see @Millemissen on the “new” forum. I regularly frequented the old forum. The UI of the new one still need to grow a bit on me, but great to see the long-standing experts here.

Seems I will go with the Horizon.

Yes, my question is about connecting gamepad (Xbox, PS, etc.) directly to the Horizon. I can of course do to the Apple TV, but I am wondering whether I can also do so directly to the Horizon in case the Android OS is not as bad for me as many people say. Then I don’t need the Apple TV. And given it had some B&O skinning, maybe I prefer so.

Sandyb
                    BRONZE Member

I’d put it differently when. it comes to picture.

The ~Contour with the OLED has a superb picture quality.

The Horizon has a god awful LCD panel – less of an issue with sports / news I guess, but many dramas and movies these days have dark scenes, and those are pretty close to unwatchable on the LCD which uses global dimming.  I lived with one of these (in the BV14, same LCD panel ) until enough was enough, and it had to go back.

In the end, one does get a TV to watch things properly, and ideally very well.

Robert
                      BRONZE Member

1A1FDDD2-5E71-4F20-A74D-EC922CF2D1F9I’m super happy with my Contour. Picture, sound, looks and user experience is 10/10.

I only use Apple TV, its hidden in a «hole» on the backside of the Stage. That gives me a clean look placed on the wall.

I’m not a tv/movie guy, I use much more time with music, and that is a separate setup (BL18/19) that I don’t want a between.

If I only had one livingroom, then I would have needed a BeoVision with connections for speaker, but for my case, this tv is all I ned….for now:)

steve1977
                        BRONZE Member

Indeed looking very nice.

You have it wall-mounted in a “swinging way”?

Can you post a photo of the other side of the screen and also of the “hole” where you placed the ATV?

Is this a fake wall or where do you have the powercable?

Robert
                          BRONZE Member

Nor a fake wall. It’s a 122 year old wall that I opened and closed again for the cabels. Here you have pictures:8190C68A-95B0-423B-AE18-D180667DB2C050057C61-A522-4579-95CC-25AC4135ECD62A0B7915-9EE9-4376-9EE7-EE5D2579DAA602D618E5-8E19-419D-AF5A-BA855298D2E3

Millemissen
                            BRONZE Member
                              • Flensborg————Danmark

@Robert_A

That really looks gorgeous ?

MM

matador
                                • Paris France

Nor a fake wall. It’s a 122 year old wall that I opened and closed again for the cabels. Here you have pictures:02D618E5-8E19-419D-AF5A-BA855298D2E3

Is that wall, Farrow& Ball N°298 “Bancha”?

Robert
                                BRONZE Member

Nor a fake wall. It’s a 122 year old wall that I opened and closed again for the cabels. Here you have pictures:02D618E5-8E19-419D-AF5A-BA855298D2E3

Is that wall, Farrow& Ball N°298 “Bancha”?

Yes! Its Bancha from F&B, amazing that you saw that!

/Robert

matador
                                    • Paris France

amazing that you saw that!

Yes, I’m good at this.

By the way what is that funny television set? 😀

steve1977
                                    BRONZE Member

Bringing up an old thread again.

Does the BV Horizon support Spotify Connnect and/or Airplay 2?

On my Beoremote, I cannot find a way to select the HDMI port with my ATV. How can I add the HDMI 1 port to my TV button?

Thanks for all the help on this forum!

Ruwi
                                      SILVER Member

Hello

I have the Contour and Iam happy with it. It sits on a floorstand now, but I bought it s/h with a B&O wall bracket.

This B&O wall bracket is for sale. Please send a PM for further information.

Regards Ruedi

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.