Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Conversion kit Beolab 4000 to Sonos electronics with Trueplay

Home Forums For Sale & Wanted Private Sales Conversion kit Beolab 4000 to Sonos electronics with Trueplay

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    carljh
    GOLD Member
      • Stockholm
      • Topics Started 3
      • Total Posts 29

Convert your old and maybe broken Beolab 4000 speakers to a Sonos speaker Gen2 with Trueplay for optimal sound and keeping the nice B&O design. The kit include a complete Sonos electronics with special brackets for the Sonos mainboard, antennas, keypad, power supply and damping foam. Just disassemble the old Beolab electronics and install the new Sonos electronics, instructions included. Keypad, LED, network and 230 VAC will be located at back of the speaker, see picture. The original on/off button is replaced by a plug. You will keep the two speakers and the complete casing from the original Beolab 4000, the rest will be new.

Price is 290€ per speaker including freight within EU. I am located in Sweden and ship with Schenker inside EU.

For order or questions please contact me at carlj.hakansson@gmail.com or +46730257474

Regards,

Carl Hakansson

IMG_0996

IMG_0995

IMG_0994

Leosgonewild
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 9
        • Total Posts 45

Very impressive!

how do they sound?

Stereomensch
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 27
          • Total Posts 113

This is a very interesting project.

But what kind of amplifier do you use? Do you use the original B&O soundprofil?

carljh
          GOLD Member
            • Stockholm
            • Topics Started 3
            • Total Posts 29

They sound extremely good, I will try to make a comparison with the original and come back. With the Sonos trueplay calibration, the frequency range will be flat.

carljh
            GOLD Member
              • Stockholm
              • Topics Started 3
              • Total Posts 29

The kit include an Ikea Symfonisk amplifier and electronics (which is made by Sonos). This consist of a very powerful DSP which will calibrate the Beolab 4000 speakers to a flat frequency spectrum and a multiroom wifi active two way speaker.

matador
                • Paris France
                • Topics Started 47
                • Total Posts 728

So it’s basically an 130€ Ikea Symphonisk shelf speaker guts connected to the Beolab 4000 drivers?

I think I’ve seen the same mod with a Beovox C100 somewhere.

carljh
                GOLD Member
                  • Stockholm
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Total Posts 29

Just to be clear, no Beolab 4000 drivers are present. The Beolab 4000 speaker elements are direct connected to the Sonos amplifier and all is 100% integrated in the Beolab 4000 cabinet.

Millemissen
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Flensborg————Danmark
                    • Topics Started 21
                    • Total Posts 1,038

The kit include an Ikea Symfonisk amplifier and electronics (which is made by Sonos). This consist of a very powerful DSP which will calibrate the Beolab 4000 speakers to a flat frequency spectrum and a multiroom wifi active two way speaker.

Did you test that?
                    As far as I understand DSP processing, you must know the characteristics of the used drivers/speaker units in order to let the DSP do it’s job.

MM

trackbeo
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Topics Started 6
                      • Total Posts 247

Really?  I thought it just listened to the output and calculated a boost as a percentage of the input, i.e. you could be driving cardboard (or flax!) with tubes, for all the DSP algorithm cared.  This is how Dirac Live can work inside a MiniDSP DDRC-24 (e.g.): Dirac knows nothing about the speakers or the amp, only what it hears from its microphone input when it sends out a known signal sweep.

And “speaker elements” == “drivers” colloquially so yes, s/he is indeed hooking up the inexpensive Symfonisk amp to the 4000’s drivers and bypassing or removing the electronics.  BeoWorld description claims 35 watt x 2 (ICEpower version mk.2), and supposedly the amplifier on the Symfonisk speaker is the TI TPA3116D2, a two channels x 30 watts per — so it could work OK unless you crank the volume up, maybe? [Edit: the DSP will take some headroom too.]

P.S. @carljh, kindly use your first sale to buy a gold membership here, in order to post to sell stuff.

carljh
                      GOLD Member
                        • Stockholm
                        • Topics Started 3
                        • Total Posts 29

You calibrate the rebuild speaker with Sonos Trueplay which is included in the Sonos app for Iphone and Android. The speaker play a frequency sweep which the phone pick up and adjust the speaker for a flat frequency response.

carljh
                        GOLD Member
                          • Stockholm
                          • Topics Started 3
                          • Total Posts 29

I have now made an initial sound test between the original Beolab4000 and the rebuild version with the Sonos built in amplifier. The result is very positive! It is a dramatically improvement with the Sonos amp! The sound is much more open, this is specially present with the voices. The bass is more precise and nuanced in the rebuilded speakers.

Millemissen
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Flensborg————Danmark
                            • Topics Started 21
                            • Total Posts 1,038

Questions?

Did you pair two rebuild speakers?

Which source did you use with the original BL4000’s?

MM

carljh
                            GOLD Member
                              • Stockholm
                              • Topics Started 3
                              • Total Posts 29

Yes, I rebuild two speakers and got two more as original.

I used Sonos Connect via the RCA input for the original Beolab4000  in order to make it as equal as possible.

carljh
                              GOLD Member
                                • Stockholm
                                • Topics Started 3
                                • Total Posts 29

You can read more about this BL4000 to Sonos upgrade at http://www.speakersuits.com

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
                                BRONZE Member
                                  • Topics Started 50
                                  • Total Posts 364
                                  P.S. @carljh, kindly use your first sale to buy a gold membership here, in order to post to sell stuff.

@carljh
                                  We do normally ask you to pay for gold membership before offering items for sale, in particular in this case it looks as though you are offering to sell this item commercially. Would you please be so kind as to purchase gold membership on the site so that you are helping to give something back to our community? Many thanks!

carljh
                                  GOLD Member
                                    • Stockholm
                                    • Topics Started 3
                                    • Total Posts 29

Hi Steve,

I wasn’t aware that you had these requirements you mention above. I have looked everywhere and can’t find how to upgrade to a gold membership nor how much it cost and how to pay?

Regards,

Carl

Guy
                                      • Warwickshire, UK
                                      • Topics Started 14
                                      • Total Posts 1,233

Click the ‘Main Web Site’ link above (or under the Menu button if using a phone), then look to the right hand side below the LOGOUT button – you should see a link to ‘Upgrade/Renew Membership’.

carljh
                                      GOLD Member
                                        • Stockholm
                                        • Topics Started 3
                                        • Total Posts 29

I am now a gold member and my main site profile state that but not on this forum? What its wrong?

Keith Saunders
                                        BRONZE Member
                                          • Hampshire, England
                                          • Topics Started 23
                                          • Total Posts 154

I am now a gold member and my main site profile state that but not on this forum? What its wrong?

Nothings wrong. Thank you for becoming a gold member

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums For Sale & Wanted Private Sales Conversion kit Beolab 4000 to Sonos electronics with Trueplay

• You must be logged in to create new topics.