Controlling an LG OLED TV using BeoSystem 3

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSystem Controlling an LG OLED TV using BeoSystem 3

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    dmacri
    GOLD Member
      • Topics Started 2
      • Total Posts 14

I have my BeoSystem 3 connected to my LG OLED TV. I love having the electronic curtains operate when turning the TV on and off so I really want the BS 3 to be the audio and video hub. I would like to the BS3 turn the TV on and off through my BEO 4 remote. I connected the Monitor output to the RS-232 input on the TV but I don’t know what settings would be the correct protocol for the LG.

Has anyone done this? If so, could you let me know how you did it? If I can’t use the RS-232 connection, is there a simple alternative?

Severed_hand_of_skywalker
      BRONZE Member
        • Toronto, Canada
        • Topics Started 8
        • Total Posts 217

Is HDMI control an option?

dmacri
        GOLD Member
          • Topics Started 2
          • Total Posts 14

I tried HDMI – CEC control, but either the BS3 doesn’t send it, or the LG doesn’t understand it. The TV is set up to accept it when present. Do you know if there is a setting in the BS3 for CEC control?

dmacri
          GOLD Member
            • Topics Started 2
            • Total Posts 14

Just another thought – would there be an ‘HDMI autosense’ functionality of the LG that you can use? So that the LG switches on when the BS3 starts to feed an HDMI signal? Not sure if that is fast enough to still show the curtains etc, but could be an easy option to explore.

That sounds like a great option. Do you know how the PUC would control the TV? Which socket would be used for this?

I originally had a Panasonic projector in my last house and set up the BS3 like it was connected to one of the old Panasonic-based BeoVisions through the RS-232 Monitor control socket and it worked like a charm. It would be great if that’s how I can control the LG in the future – if the dealer can add an “LG OLED” as one of the B&O monitor selections. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?

Tignum
            GOLD Member
              • Netherlands
              • Topics Started 8
              • Total Posts 365

Hi, no CEC with BS3 I reckon – that is newer tech I suppose, not applied by B&O back then. I was hoping these new TVs could trigger on just any HDMI input signal coming in. I checked my LG C9 oled, and must admit that in the menu there is not really something that refers to that, apart from Simplink which indeed uses CEC. It would have been nice though!

I confirm that it is possible to load a PUC file into the BS3 and to even ‘fully’ control an LG oled (not only on/off). At least with the C9. For me it was quite a journey and includes loading PUC files into the BS3. I have an Apple TV connected to the LG directly, using the BS3 only for processing the Beo4 (joystick)/BR1 controls and the audio coming in from the LG (optical to coax). No curtains :-).

The PUC control uses an IR out socket, a specific splitter, and two IR emitters close enough to the TV (do the latest LG’s even have IR remote control?).

Maybe check with your dealer if he can provide this service to you? If so, I am happy to help with some screenshots, cabling etc.

beojeff
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 7
                • Total Posts 188

Neither the Beosystem 3 nor the Beosystem 4 support CEC. There IS a solution to control the LG TV, but it woudn’t be inexpensive. The Beoliving Intelligence has a driver to control LG smart TVs over your home network.With the BLI you could create macros to control the tv as well as assigning LIGHT and CONTROL functions on the Beo4 or Beoremote One to send many commands to the LG TV.

dmacri
                GOLD Member
                  • Topics Started 2
                  • Total Posts 14

I was going to ask if I could control the TV just using the BeoRemote One directly. Is that even an option?

B3OHACK3R
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 4
                    • Total Posts 148

I was going to ask if I could control the TV just using the BeoRemote One directly. Is that even an option?

You can pair it over BT with the LG TV but it won’t be of much use. I think only the cursor, volume and power off works. No enter, no back, no home key. Pretty much useless.

In my setup it’s working fine but you have to build a little converter box.

https://beoworld.org/forums/topic/beoremote-1-with-generic-lg-tv-or-any-other/

dmacri
                    GOLD Member
                      • Topics Started 2
                      • Total Posts 14

You can pair it over BT with the LG TV but it won’t be of much use. I think only the cursor, volume and power off works. No enter, no back, no home key. Pretty much useless. In my setup it’s working fine but you have to build a little converter box. https://beoworld.org/forums/topic/beoremote-1-with-generic-lg-tv-or-any-other/

That may be just fine because I’m really using the LG TV as a monitor. My needs are modest. I just need power on and power off for the TV. Volume and input control is all handled by the BS3. I know there is some video manipulation, but my wife and I both like the effect and I plan to go through a full calibration soon to bring everything up to HD standard. I’d like to use the remote to turn on TV, my cable box, and the BS3.  Channel control would be on the cable box, volume on the BS3.

B3OHACK3R
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 4
                        • Total Posts 148

That may be just fine because I’m really using the LG TV as a monitor. My needs are modest. I just need power on and power off for the TV. Volume and input control is all handled by the BS3. I know there is some video manipulation, but my wife and I both like the effect and I plan to go through a full calibration soon to bring everything up to HD standard. I’d like to use the remote to turn on TV, my cable box, and the BS3.  Channel control would be on the cable box, volume on the BS3.

Had no luck directly turning it on with the BR1. Just OFF.

As Tignum already wrote, easiest would be to use a projector PUC that matches the LG TV. It would turn it on/off automatically over IR. I think they all still have IR.
                        Using a source PUC wouldn’t work in your case if you use the BS3 for video as well.

Everything else requires some advanced tinkering.

dmacri
                        GOLD Member
                          • Topics Started 2
                          • Total Posts 14

The Non-B&O Monitor setting are Generic and Panasonic Screen. Do you knoe if thast can be updated to include LG Screen? Is that a possibility?

B3OHACK3R
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Topics Started 4
                            • Total Posts 148

The Non-B&O Monitor setting are Generic and Panasonic Screen. Do you knoe if thast can be updated to include LG Screen? Is that a possibility?

Can’t tell for sure if there is a matching code for your LG but, yes – the projector PUC table in general should be updatable by your dealer.

B3OHACK3R
                            BRONZE Member
                              • Topics Started 4
                              • Total Posts 148

Having a similar setup although I’m using the BS3 for audio only.
                              Used to have exactly like you are describing it but the video output of BS3 wasn’t looking good. Even in game mode where it should be more or less pass-through. Not about the resolution but it does some image post-processing just not looking good on modern screens.

Anyway, what you are looking for is possible but requires some advanced “tinkering” skills.

You could use the projector control output for switching on the LG. You would have to build some kind of IR translator or IR receiver -> LG IP protocol converter.

Tignum
                              GOLD Member
                                • Netherlands
                                • Topics Started 8
                                • Total Posts 365

Hello dmacri, it should (also) be possible using PUC control. You will need someone (like a skilled and friendly dealer) that can write an on/off PUC file specifically for the LG and write it into your BS3.

Tignum
                                GOLD Member
                                  • Netherlands
                                  • Topics Started 8
                                  • Total Posts 365

Just another thought – would there be an ‘HDMI autosense’ functionality of the LG that you can use? So that the LG switches on when the BS3 starts to feed an HDMI signal? Not sure if that is fast enough to still show the curtains etc, but could be an easy option to explore.

Leosgonewild
                                  BRONZE Member
                                    • Topics Started 9
                                    • Total Posts 45

Would it be an option to connect an Apple TV to the lg oled, and then running optical to coax from the LG oled to the BS3?

that way you can use a BeoRemote one BT as this can be paired with the Apple TV.

You will. It have those curtains, but how many hoops will you jumpy through to get that working?

dmacri
                                    GOLD Member
                                      • Topics Started 2
                                      • Total Posts 14

I have the Apple TV device – in my case an Apple Mac Mini connected to the BS3. I want all my audio devices connected to my BS7000 and all my video devices connected to the BS3. The video monitor is the LG OLED TV. My desire is to have all the devices controlled with a Beo4 or BeoRemote One. I can figure out the Beo4 and cable box remote, but would love to simplify everything down to a single remote for my family.

Tignum
                                      GOLD Member
                                        • Netherlands
                                        • Topics Started 8
                                        • Total Posts 365

dmacri, what are all the video sources you plan to connect to the BS3?

Leosgonewild got me thinking this idea: what if you connect an AppleTV to the LG, only make a PUC connection between the BS3 and the Apple TV. Now when you wake the BS3 with the Beo4, the BS3 awakes the AppleTV through PUC, and the AppleTV awakes the LG (using CEC). How it all shuts down I am not sure yet :-).

You can (daily) control an Apple TV with your Beo4, it could/should be hat your BS3 already has an AppleTV PUC.

To make this an option for you, your Apple TV should be able to run the content that your cablebox supplier provides (through an app). I would reckon that an AppleTV can get to your Mac mini content somehow.

Just a thought!

dmacri
                                        GOLD Member
                                          • Topics Started 2
                                          • Total Posts 14

I have my HDDVR cable box, my Mac Mini, an XBox Series One X, and a Sony Ultra BluRay player as my video sources, my BS7000 as my audio sources connected through MasterLink. I’m using the AppleTV PUC to control the Mac Mini which is my Apple Music server. If the projector selections could be modified to control the LG, that might be my best option.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSystem Controlling an LG OLED TV using BeoSystem 3

• You must be logged in to create new topics.