B&O Beosound Century Remote Control Troubleshooting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    TimHW
    BRONZE Member
    • Topics Started 1
    • Total Posts 2

Hello  forum community,

my name ist Tim and I bought a used B&O Beosound Century 2651. Now I’ve been trying for a while, reading forum entries and operating instructions to be able to control the device by remote control. I have a Beolink 1000 and a Beo 4 at my disposal. I have activated remote control on the system (standby>sound>1>store). I also did the configuration on the Beo 4 and set it to Audio Basic. However, the Beo 4 does not respond to the command with Stored, but jumps back directly to radio, CD or one of the other sources that were previously selected after the setting. What could be the problem? Where is the sensor on the Century and can it be cleaned or removed/replaced? I’m pretty clueless how it could still work. Also, does anyone know if a B&O store can still help you, or is there no competence for the old models here? Best regards and thank you for your feedback.

Tim

Guy
    • Warwickshire, UK
    • Topics Started 4
    • Total Posts 190

Hi Tim, and welcome to Beoworld!

Can I just clarify exactly what procedure you followed to ‘activate remote control’ on the system?

The simplest way to  set the A.Option setting is to use the BL1000 remote.  First, check that your BL1000 is actually transmitting an IR signal by viewing the end with an iPhone selfie camera – you should see faint flashing when you press any buttons on the BL1000.

The with the Beosound Century at standby (red light showing, but turned off), point the BL1000 at the Beosound and press STANDY (Red Dot) then SOUND then 1 then STORE.  The digit ‘1’ should briefly be displayed on the Century’s screen. It should then respond to remote commands.

TimHW
    BRONZE Member
    • Topics Started 1
    • Total Posts 2

Hi Guy and thank you for your reply.

I followed the B&O manual. It says that the BeoSound Century music system can be controlled with a remote control. To turn on the remote control function, press Standby, Sound, 1, Store. The number 1 is briefly displayed. So far everything works. Then I followed your recommendations. First the test with the iPhone camera and it confirmed that the Beolink 1000 fires. Then I pressed Standby, Sound, 1, Store on the remote control. However, nothing happens. The Beo4 also works but also here, nothing. So it should be the Century’s IR receiver, right? Is it possible to see the part or get at it somehow? It will probably be difficult to get a replacement part. 🙁

By the way, my device only came with the spacer and no top wall bracket. Maybe the question came up here in the forum before, but is there a technical drawing (including the twi hooks) of it so that you can 3D print the part (or at least create a template for it)? A replica by the metalworker would of course also be possible.

Best regards,

Tim

Guy
    • Warwickshire, UK
    • Topics Started 4
    • Total Posts 190

Hi again – sorry that did not work.

Here’s a thread from the archived forum that may be useful: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/16661/180744.aspx

To help with the dismantling etc there is a copy of the service manual on the main Beoworld site available to Silver and Gold members.

With regards to the wall bracket, I can’t really help but this eBay listing seems good value: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304457427422

matador
    • Paris France
    • Topics Started 19
    • Total Posts 169

Hi alls,

Got the same problem here. The Century is a wreck beyond repair (CD, tape, door, one channel dead… And no IR) For the love of the game I’d like to play with this IR problem!

Its a mixed MK: silver clamper but no headphone socket, Type 2656.

Have tried the activation sequence with no result, I would have said “broken IR board”.
    Checked the only big capacitor (purple, in the picture), it’s OK. The other two little are like SMD, with no pins, so I won’t mess with them.

A guy is selling (way too expensive) an ir board but the thing is it’s not the same than mine.

Mine:

IMG_9322

His:

e0c7abb7a117e52b06ca48d4b4fe6b2e36569c09

Absolutely nothing in common. And that makes me wonder if the fix that consist in replacing caps does apply to my board and people really replace those two tiny little capacitors.

Thanks.

RaMaBo
    GOLD Member
    • Near Munich
    • Topics Started 0
    • Total Posts 10

Hi,

the repair of the IR Board is indeed simple 🙂
    Replace the two silver SMD caps. If the space allows you can replace them with ordinary electrolyctic capacitors ( 22µF / 6.3Volt ). To remove the old capacitors hold the PCB and with twist each capacitor with a plier. This way the cap will be removed from its base without tearing the traces. Now remove the two pins soldered to the PCB and clean the board with IPA and solder the new caps to the board. Mind the polarity!!!

matador
    • Paris France
    • Topics Started 19
    • Total Posts 169

Thank you RaMaBo, btw, happy to see you around!

I’ve ordered the caps and will report !

matador
    • Paris France
    • Topics Started 19
    • Total Posts 169

Replace the two silver SMD caps. If the space allows you can replace them with ordinary electrolyctic capacitors ( 22µF / 6.3Volt ).

And it worked! Now I have a remote controlled Century wreck! But I’m happy I did it.

Warm thank you RaMaBo.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.