Beosystem 2500 powerlink failure

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions Vintage Products Beosystem 2500 powerlink failure

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    pepps
      • Kent, UK
      • Topics Started 26
      • Total Posts 127

Hello,

My beloved Beosystem 2500 has suddenly stopped outputing via Powerlink.
      I had it connected to a BL converter and was playing through some Beovox, working fine.
      However today I took delivery of a fab pair of BL2500s but they won’t play.

Red lights on Beolabs come on.
      Red light on Beosystem comes on.
      Beosystem plays cds, radio, tape – but Beolabs don’t click on to green and remain silent on red.

I connected the Beolabs up to a Beovision in the kitchen and sure enough they go green and play sound.

I’m baffled.

I connected a pair of Beolab 6000 to the Beosystem 2500 with a Powerlink mk3 cable and it won’t activate them either.

Do Powerlink sockets “go off”? Do they die?
      Can anyone think what might be the reason why the sockets no longer seem to work?

Die_Bogener
        • Topics Started 3
        • Total Posts 187

Press “Mute” in Standby on the keyboard… and a light will go on.

A converter deactivates the Powerlink.

pepps
          • Kent, UK
          • Topics Started 26
          • Total Posts 127

Hi there,

Thank you for replying.
          Activating and deactivating the mute as you kindly describe doesn’t have any effect on switching on the Beolabs sadly.
          Any other ideas?

62106C2C-4703-4F16-8531-D9865CD186E74A2C01E7-2E64-49CC-BEB7-6AF147A8F706E3BA5E85-8069-4FC9-8CF4-A0987254259120A2810C-7803-4A6A-88FA-CEEE0BA38F61

Guy
          BRONZE Member
            • Warwickshire, UK
            • Topics Started 16
            • Total Posts 1,044

When you say that you ‘had it connected to a BL converter and was playing through some Beovox’, do you mean that you were using an ML/MCL converter as a Passive (amplifier) using its PL input, and were you connecting it to the BC2500 using the same PL Mk3 cable that you are trying to use with the Beolabs?

matador
              • Paris France
              • Topics Started 48
              • Total Posts 689

Hi, I’m not good at this but what comes to my mind:

Do you have sound from the headphone socket?
              Did you deactivate the converter as mentioned above?
              Do the mute light light on or off accordingly, meaning could it be a stuck key on the keyboard?
              Could it be the headphone switch that is stuck?

pepps
                • Kent, UK
                • Topics Started 26
                • Total Posts 127

When you say that you ‘had it connected to a BL converter and was playing through some Beovox’, do you mean that you were using an ML/MCL converter as a Passive (amplifier) using its PL input, and were you connecting it to the BC2500 using the same PL Mk3 cable that you are trying to use with the Beolabs?

Hi Guy,

Thanks for your reply. I was using a Powerlink cable I bought from Steve at Soundsheavenly from one of the Powerlink sockets on the BC to a MCL2P and then on to the Beovox.

I’ve since tested the BL2500s with my BV6 using both a Mk3 Powerlink cable (works fine) and the original 5-pin Powerlink cables which came with the BL2500s (works fine).

Julian

pepps
                  • Kent, UK
                  • Topics Started 26
                  • Total Posts 127

Hi, I’m not good at this but what comes to my mind: Do you have sound from the headphone socket? Did you deactivate the converter as mentioned above? Do the mute light light on or off accordingly, meaning could it be a stuck key on the keyboard? Could it be the headphone switch that is stuck?

Hi Matador,

Thanks for your reply.
                  Um no, I didn’t deactivate the converter. It was an MCL2P – I didn’t state that correctly in my original post sorry.
                  The mute button on the keyboard does activate the little green light as expected. Doesn’t appear to be stuck.

I’ve connected headphones and sound plays through them fine. I don’t hear a relay click when I plug them in though.
                  Perhaps a randomly failed headphone relay?

Julian

pepps
                    • Kent, UK
                    • Topics Started 26
                    • Total Posts 127

SOLVED!

After your useful comments and suggestions I have solved the problem (for now).

I tried the old classic ‘plug in and unplug repeatedly’ a headphone connector in the little headphone socket.
                    And sure enough it all sprang into life!

I love this forum! Always helps get results when we work together!

Thank you all!

6D6EA87F-8EEA-40E6-8064-E914A3E0F229

matador
                      • Paris France
                      • Topics Started 48
                      • Total Posts 689

That’s weird! If you’ve been using the converter through a Powerlink wire and the converter cliks in/cliks out, it means the powerlink socket is correctly passing sound and power (right now I’m wondering if there is the same pin that triggers both devices beolab or converter…).

As for the headphone socket, I dont know if it’s a relay or just a switch built-in the jack socket. When I tried it just before posting, I didnt hear any relay appart from the loud ones from the beolabs just there.

Guy
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Warwickshire, UK
                        • Topics Started 16
                        • Total Posts 1,044

As for the headphone socket, I dont know if it’s a relay or just a switch built-in the jack socket.

I was just looking at that as the thread updated. According to the service manual the headphone socket has a physical switch that connects PL pins 4 to ground – there is no relay.

Great news that it’s all working Julian – enjoy your new speakers! 😀

EDIT: And I think that the MCL2P uses Powerlink pin 1 to trigger, not 4. This would also explain why I could never use my BC2300 Mute button to mute the speakers when I had an MCL2P as an amplifier.

matador
                          • Paris France
                          • Topics Started 48
                          • Total Posts 689

I tried the old classic ‘plug in and unplug repeatedly’ a headphone connector in the little headphone socket.

Great, congratulations,

Maybe (but would be good to wait for the approval of somebody that knows about that…) you could unplug the whole unit and spray contact cleaner into the jack?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds