Beosound Shape configuration

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Beosound Shape configuration

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    steve1977
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 12
      • Total Posts 54

I have been thinking about it for many years and now formed my decision that I will go ahead to buy a Shape. I am planning to place it over a couch (normal size) on a white wall.

I’d be keen to see setups and hear experiences from forum users. In general to see setups and also specific to some questions:

1) Biggest question for me is to go with 8 tiles or more? I don’t want it to “fill” the whole wall, but also don’t want it to look lost. So, 8 may be good, but I am also considering 10 or even 14.

2) Choice of colors woudl also be good to hear views. I am tempted to go with light colors not to make the room “dark”. Still curious given the white wall. Also, I’d love to include dark oak as it is just very nice and “very.B&O”.

3) Kvadrat seems available in only four colors and most are rather dark? Any thoughts whether mixing Kvadrat with non-Kvadrat looks good?

But as said, there must be many of you who have such setup or thought about it, so I am very curious in general experience with your setups.

matador
        • Paris France
        • Topics Started 49
        • Total Posts 747

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on your choice to go after a Shape. To me it’s one of the good old fashioned B&O magic things like ib the past even thought it has no glass moving parts.

I do not own one but have thought about it many times and to be honest in many ways (mystery…). Anyway, while waiting for a more educated answer here is some of my thought:

One thing that struck me is that the Shape is bigger than expected in real life. The individual tiles are massive and bigger than I thought. If your thinking rubout it for a long time you should be ware of this but still, don’t let yourself be surprised: going 8 tiles over 6 may really be 2 tiles too much.

Colors is a matter of taste. I do think that part of beauty lies in contrast but all the Shapes installations I’ve seen I’ve liked were mostly shade on shade. You said the wall is white, but for a clean installation you will need to make a groove to pass wires, meaning you’ll certainly need to paint after. Even if not, painting a wall is quite cheap. I would consider installing a Beosound Shape as it should be: like a piece of art, that is considering the tiles AND the wall and the surrounding environnement.

I’ll stay away from mixing fabrics, they away different grain and that would immediately make it look like a mix and match, second hand, not coordinated thing.
        I would also think it twice on the dark oak tile: even if I like it too, I think it ruins the “Shape effect” by saying “under this tile there is something different than under the fabric tiles so this is a sound installation”. And wood ,appart on the floor, tends to be a very fashion turning material.

Things I would you depending on what you have at hand:
        • Use extensively the Shape simulator on the B&O website (Sure you have!).
        • Use a projector if you have one, to display the configuration, including colored wall on your actual wall.
        • Print fake tiles on A3 paper, stick them on the wall, let them for a couple of days and see.
        • If you’re handy at Photoshop, make simulations.

Hope this helps, lucky guy you are!

BeoTool
        GOLD Member
          • Topics Started 4
          • Total Posts 45

Hi Steve:  You’ll love your Shape.

Before getting to specific answers to your questions, strong recommendation to follow Matador’s advice: play with the Configuration tool at B&O’s site, then use the B&O A/R Experience app to see what a given config looks like in your environment.

Q1.  Number of tiles:  audio quality and cost play here, along with esthetics.  Ranked by cost, tiles can be dampers, speakers, or amps.  (One tile is always a Core — it’s required.). If you exceed 4 speaker tiles, regardless of the number of total tiles, you’ll need a second amp to drive the additional speaker pair.  (Speakers always come in even-numbered pairs.). Exceed 8 speakers, you’ll need a 3rd amp, etc.  More speakers > more amps > more cost > but theoretically better sound.

Q2.  Colors:  IF you have a white wall, and IF there’s pretty good natural light in the room, I wouldn’t be afraid of dark colors.  IIRC, the A/R app will show the tile colors you’ve selected in the Configurator.  Play around.

Q3.  Kvadrat :  My Shape is 8-10 feet from my listening area.  I have a mix of Kvadrat and non; I can’t see the texture difference.  I also have 2 Skiniplay covers.  These work great and give you flexibility to choose different color schemes after purchasing the Shape.

BTW:  Matador said: “To me it’s one of the good old fashioned B&O magic things like in the past.”  Exactly right, imo.

Matador also said:  “Print fake tiles on A3 paper, stick them on the wall, let them for a couple of days and see.”  Yep, I did this too after I’d settled on my config.  Helped enormously in getting the height-on-wall correct, as well as finding the precise center placement.

BeoTool
          GOLD Member
            • Topics Started 4
            • Total Posts 45

IMG_2793

Carolpa
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 6
              • Total Posts 258

Shape

2 amps + 8 speaker units

Carolpa
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 6
                • Total Posts 258

Shape2

recommendation:
                -. pre install Line IN (even if not directly needed)
                -. pre install Powerlink cable (even if not directly needed)
                during in-wall installation of cables.

Carolpa
                BRONZE Member
                  • Topics Started 6
                  • Total Posts 258

Matador also said:  “Print fake tiles on A3 paper, stick them on the wall, let them for a couple of days and see.”  Yep, I did this too after I’d settled on my config.  Helped enormously in getting the height-on-wall correct, as well as finding the precise center placement

B&0 does have an online tool for this:
                  https://www.bang-olufsen.com/shape-installer-tool/

Carolpa
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 6
                    • Total Posts 258

shape3

second one: but will be installed at my sisters living (1 amp + 4 speaker units)

BeoTool
                    GOLD Member
                      • Topics Started 4
                      • Total Posts 45
                      Carolpa wrote:

recommendation: -. pre install Line IN (even if not directly needed) -. pre install Powerlink cable (even if not directly needed) during in-wall installation of cables.

Yep, great suggestion.  I used one of Steve’s cables to connect my BC 9500 to the Shape.

steve1977
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 12
                        • Total Posts 54

Thanks so much for all your kind responses.

I decided to go ahead with 8 tiles in all Kavrad (no oak).

May take a while until it is set up, but will report back.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.