Beosound overture 2637 with beo4 remote – spares and repairs

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Beosound overture 2637 with beo4 remote – spares and repairs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    EDBANGER
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 2
      • Total Posts 5

Hi guys and girls,

I was very fortunate to pick up the above system the other day for a bargain price of £90.  This was a dream sound system when I was younger and I used to visit the Bang and Olufsen shop just to wave at the doors and marvel at how amazing they were.  It was sold as untested and I’ve got very lucky.  I’ve only had to reattached the glass door and they work great.  The CD works fine and so does the tuner.  The tape player plays for two seconds and then flips to the other side and repeats.  Any ideas on what that might be before I risk taking it apart?  Also I have the Beo4 remote.  The display is fine and the buttons cycle through the remote options but it doesn’t operate the stereo?  Do I need to pair it or is there a fault?  I can’t seem to find any information about it and the user manual isn’t written very well.  I picked up some Beolab 6000 speakers in mint condition for £140 and I’m honestly blown away by how good this system still sounds.  I’ve started buying cd’s again.

I did buy a cheap bluetooth receiver but the sound quality isn’t great and it kind of defeats the purpose of having such a beautiful system,  Any recommendations on quality wifi receivers?  I know B&O do one for £200 but does it keep the sound quality?

Thanks in advance for any help I might get

Guy
        • Warwickshire, UK
        • Topics Started 15
        • Total Posts 1,355

Hi and welcome to Beoworld!

Also I have the Beo4 remote.  The display is fine and the buttons cycle through the remote options but it doesn’t operate the stereo?  Do I need to pair it or is there a fault?

Perhaps the Ouverture is in A.OPT 0, where it will not respond to IR commands.

To resolve this, turn to standby/off.

On the Beo4, press the POWER button and LIST together. Then press LIST until OPTION is shown, press GO (centre button), and then press LIST to show A.OPT. Then press 1. The power light on the Ouverture blinks to show that it has been accepted.

Then try the remote again.

Guy
          • Warwickshire, UK
          • Topics Started 15
          • Total Posts 1,355

To add to the above regarding the other questions:

The tape player plays for two seconds and then flips to the other side and repeats.  Any ideas on what that might be before I risk taking it apart?

Quite possibly the tape drive belt – get a new one here: https://www.beoparts-shop.com/product/tapedeck-belt-2/

I did buy a cheap bluetooth receiver but the sound quality isn’t great and it kind of defeats the purpose of having such a beautiful system,  Any recommendations on quality wifi receivers?

If you are an Apple user then I recommend looking for a second hand Airport Express, the later A1392 version with Airplay 2.

Guy
            • Warwickshire, UK
            • Topics Started 15
            • Total Posts 1,355

Great news that the remote now works – thanks for letting us know!  I get my Beo4 spares (rubber keypads etc) from here: https://www.avaservices.co.uk/

And our site sponsor (at the foot of the page) can supply the correct cable for connecting an airport express to the Ouverture’s AUX socket – this one: https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/67-298-minijack-to-aux-in-ipod-to-beosound-beomaster-beocenter-using-aux-din-socket.html#/2-length-1m

I think there may be a thread about tape belt replacement – I’ll have a search and get back to you.

EDIT:  Found it here: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/26380/290890.aspx

Although I have never done a belt replacement I am sure that others here will help if you get stuck.  Belts are available here: https://www.beoparts-shop.com/product/tapedeck-belt-2/

EDBANGER
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 2
              • Total Posts 5

Hi and welcome to Beoworld!

Also I have the Beo4 remote. The display is fine and the buttons cycle through the remote options but it doesn’t operate the stereo? Do I need to pair it or is there a fault?

Perhaps the Ouverture is in A.OPT 0, where it will not respond to IR commands. To resolve this, turn to standby/off. On the Beo4, press the POWER button and LIST together. Then press LIST until OPTION is shown, press GO (centre button), and then press LIST to show A.OPT. Then press 1. The power light on the Ouverture blinks to show that it has been accepted. Then try the remote again.

Absolute legend.  Worked like a charm.  I just need to get a new rubber button pad for the remote now as they’re quite worn.
              I did have a rubber belt come with the stereo which I assumed was for cassette.  Is it a relatively straight forward job?  I’ve replaced belt drives on Sharp VZ2000’s before.  I’m not sure I’d actually use the tape player though so it would be purely to make it complete ?

EDBANGER
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 2
                • Total Posts 5

So I’ve looked at the airport express.  What cable would I need to connect the airport?  Can you link me to what would work?  I’m new to these cable types ?

EDBANGER
                BRONZE Member
                  • Topics Started 2
                  • Total Posts 5

Honestly can’t tell you how chuffed I am with this setup now.  Looking at the bunny ears aerial.  Pricey considering I can stream through the airport but I kind of want them now ?.  Are there alternatives to the bunny ears?

Guy
                    • Warwickshire, UK
                    • Topics Started 15
                    • Total Posts 1,355

Are there alternatives to the bunny ears?

If your FM signal is strong enough you could always just connect a ribbon aerial like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Indoor-Ribbon-Coaxial-Connector-Adapter/dp/B00XA0ZN22

… and hide it behind a curtain or under the table.  Or connect an external aerial if you have one.

My BeoCentre 2300 worked very well with a wire coathanger hooked into the antenna socket!

But the ‘bunny ears’ aerial does look good – if you can be patient you may find one for a reasonable price.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.