Beosound Core – connectivity and alternatives

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Beosound Core – connectivity and alternatives

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    DT79
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 6
      • Total Posts 39

Hi, looking for some expert advice.  I’m pretty set on getting some Beolab 18s after listening to a nice second hand pair at my local dealer at the weekend. Initially these would replace my existing speakers and be run from my current amp alongside existing subwoofers.

In time I plan to streamline further and like the idea of potentially replacing the rest of the system with a Beolab 19 and Beosound Core.

I have a range of installed cabling already, but am very constrained in my ability to run any additional cables. I have 4* 75 ohm Coax on RCA sockets running from the vicinity of the turntable; 2 running to behind where each speaker will be. Additionally a length of as yet unterminated balanced mic cable running to behind each speaker locale. I also have a length of Cat 6 on RJ45s running from  the vicinity of the TT to near where the right hand speaker will be.

My requirements/constraints/questions are:

1) Need to connect up my turntable as this is my main and most enjoyed source. It’s on the other side of the room from where the speakers will be and can’t be relocated

2) I use Roon for streaming. As I understand it the Beosound core will show up as an audio device via Chromcast in Roon so all good there.

3) Does the Core have its own in-built volume adjustment? I.e. I can connect my phono preamp into the Core’s analogue input and control volume in the Core via the B&O app or a B&O remote if I get one?

4) What are opinions of the quality of the analogue to digital conversion in the Core? Am I still going to get a high quality result from my analogue front end?

5) What’s the best way of connecting from Core to BL18s assuming the Core is positioned near the TT and optical isn’t an option*? Would I be right in thinking I could use the Cat6 as a power link cable, so I could go from Core to right hand BL18 (this would need a short RJ45 female to RJ45 male extension to get to the speaker) then another Cat6/powerlink cable between the speakers? Is there any advantage to going wired vs Wireless these days?

6) I believe the powerlink cables even the new RJ45 style connections send an analogue signal, is that right?

7) *It’s a bit convoluted but if having a wired digital connection is the decisively best option then I could go Core>optical to coax converter>coax cable>installed coax cable>coax cable>coax to optical converter>BL18. Not sure if it will even work through all those connections

8) Are there any decent 3rd party alternatives to the Core that will be Roon compatible and allow the connection of an analogue source? Any streaming preamp I suppose, which is essentially what I already have, but I presumably wouldn’t have any option to run the BL18s with a BL19 in optimal/intended fashion.

9) Does anyone know if there are any plans to update the Core as it’s very highly priced for what it is, has limited input options (just 1 really, a choice of analogue or optical), so if there’s a chance it will be updated then I’d hold off.

Sorry massive brain dump! Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Dan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.