Beosound 4000 doesn’t play all CDs

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Beosound 4000 doesn’t play all CDs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Madskp
    GOLD Member
      • Denmark
      • Topics Started 35
      • Total Posts 837

I’ll also look into which capacitors I need to replace first for laser.

Unless you have good experience with mounting SMD caps I will recommend the Approach Guy have in the linked thread where he use standard capacitors instead. In my experience the SMD ones are not easy to solder on to the board with a soldering iron

Jacope
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 1
        • Total Posts 2

Hi all,

I’ve come across an issue with my Beosound 4000 that I can’t find mention to elsewhere online.

The CD player seems to work perfectly fine, but only on SOME discs. On others it will spin for 1-5 seconds, and the give me a CD <> message.

The odd thing is that some discs will play initially, but then stop working, or will only play after insertion but will stop working after changing tracks.

Seems odd to me that it works perfectly fine with some, some don’t work at all, and others partially work. Any ideas?

Guy
          • Warwickshire, UK
          • Topics Started 14
          • Total Posts 1,239

Hi and welcome to Beoworld!

The Beosound 4000 was called the BeoSound Ouverture in Europe, so maybe this thread can help you out:https://beoworld.org/forums/topic/beosound-ouverture-cd-not-working/

Before we an assist, it would be useful to know your technical expertise; are you happy to dismantle, replace electronic components?

Based on my experience/reading to-date, I would probably try the following in order:

• Cleaning of the laser lens – opinions vary on the best way to do this but isopropyl alcohol works for many – have a wider search of the forum.  (There has also been success with a deep clean of the laser, but this would involve quite tricky dismantling)
          • Running the CD Test modes to see if this frees up the laser mechanism (I had success with a BeoSound 1 using this method).  The Test Mode can also tell you more about the CD fault.
          • Replacing the laser (tech expertise required)
          • Replacing capacitors on the CD driver board (tech expertise required)

It could be worth trying capacitor replacement before laser replacement.

We have tech manuals available for paid site members if you are happy to go down that route, or know someone who is.

Guy
            • Warwickshire, UK
            • Topics Started 14
            • Total Posts 1,239

A further non-tech suggestion:  If you find a CD that plays (preferably one with lots of tracks and close to the max 74 minutes playing time), play it repeatedly and move back and forward through the tracks.  This may ‘free up’ the laser mechanism (focus or radial tracking) if that is the problem – it could be sticky from age or lack of use.  Then try a CD that didn’t work before.

Jacope
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 1
              • Total Posts 2

Thanks for quick reply!

I have a good amount a tech expertise, and am comfortable replacing parts and capacitors. In this case I’ve already replaced the tape belt in this unit.

First thing I tried was cleaning the lens with isopropyl alcohol which didn’t seem to make any difference.

I’ll have to run through the test modes later today.

I’ll also look into which capacitors I need to replace first for laser.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Beosound 4000 doesn’t play all CDs

• You must be logged in to create new topics.