BeoSound 3200: is the AUX connection IN and/or OUT?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    KolfMAKER
    BRONZE Member
      • The Netherlands

I want to use a BeoSound 3200 for recording from CD’s. So I have a CD playing on the BeoSound 3200, and I have a cassette deck connected to the Auxiliary connector on the right (see picture), to make the recordings.

My questions

1. Will this work?
      2. What is the pin configuration of the auxiliary connector? (For L & R out, and GND)

BeoSound 3200 - Connections backside

Die_Bogener
      BRONZE Member

Just guess…. B&O compatible, not standard.

Just connect a Beocord 6500 or 7000 … just B&O. It will work on play and record.

matador
        BRONZE Member
          • Paris France

From the BS3000 Service manual, maybe it’s the same for the 3200.

Capture d’écran 2022-07-05 à 12.59.15

Millemissen
          BRONZE Member
            • Flensborg/Danmark

Not able to test it now.
            I assume that this will work with non-B&O devices as well.

However, you’ll need to control the devices manually.

https://www.beoworld.org/faq_view.asp?id=28

MM

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Millemissen.
            matador
            BRONZE Member
              • Paris France

However, you’ll need to control the devices manually.

Maybe I’m wrong but pin 6 and 7 not being connected he will miss the Datalink protocol and therefore, will need to control the cassette deck manually anyway, B&O or not.

Unless B&O restored the datalink protocol on the 3200?

Millemissen
              BRONZE Member
                • Flensborg/Danmark

You are right, I assume.

Unless KolfMAKER want to record a lot, this probably will be a minor problem.

MM

KolfMAKER
                BRONZE Member
                  • The Netherlands

Thnx to all, this is a great experience to have such great responses so quickly on the BeoWorld forum!

Additionally I should mention, the external recorder is non-B&O. It will be a vintage Nakamichi 600 cassette deck.

Not being able to control this external recorder as a B&O device is not an issue. For me it is just important that there is a L & R channel OUT, that I can pick up via the Auxiliary connector on the back of the BeoSound 3200.

So from all your information I conclude it is possible and will work. As long as I use:

• Pin 1 >  Left out
                  • Pin 2 > GND
                  • Pin 4 > Right out

As mentioned and described in the response and picture of Matador.

Thanks!

KolfMAKER
                  BRONZE Member
                    • The Netherlands

So here’s an additional question …

Is it possible to simultaneously:

• Connect a turn-table via the Auxiliary Pin 3 & 5 and play vinyl
                    • And connect my cassette-deck via the same Auxiliary Pin 2 & 4 and record the music from the turn-table

Is this possible?

(Assuming of course that a made a splitter cable which can handle that)

Millemissen
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Flensborg/Danmark

I don’t know!

But why would you do so?

Why not just connect the output of the turntable directly to the 600 deck?

MM

KolfMAKER
                      BRONZE Member
                        • The Netherlands

Why I would do so > Cause I need the turntable and the cassette deck connected to the BeoSound for both recording, as well as for playing via speakers connected to the BeoSound.

Is it possible to simultaneously:

• Connect a turn-table via the Auxiliary Pin 3 & 5 and play vinyl
                        • And connect my cassette-deck via the same Auxiliary Pin 2 & 4 and record the music from the turn-table

Comment: I would say so, cause normally with RCA connections this AUX would be two RCA connectors for Line IN, and two RCA connectors for Line OUT. So, isn’t the DIN a combination of these sets of RCA connectors in one plug?

Question

Please comment on my ‘Is it possible to simultaneously …’ question.

Tignum
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Netherlands

Hi, Steve provides such a connector:

5-pin-din-to-4-x-rca-input-and-output-cable-for-bo-naim-quad

https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/154-2336-5-pin-din-to-4-x-rca-input-and-output-cable-for-bo-naim-quad.html#/2-length-1m

Maybe ask him directly if it will do what you need.

Hi,

Yes, this cable provides simultaneous audio in and out, so whatever is playing on the speakers (CD, radio, A. Mem or Aux) can also be recorded via the Aux output using this cable.

Kind regards, Steve.

KolfMAKER
                          BRONZE Member
                            • The Netherlands

Thanks for your replies guys!

I mainly wanted to know if the pin 3 & 5 and pin 2 & 4 would work simultaneously. So thanks for confirming.

Concerning the cable … the one I need will look a little bit different. I need to split from DIN to a) mini-jack and b) RCA female. But that’s no issue for me, to make one myself.

KolfMAKER
                            BRONZE Member
                              • The Netherlands

@Matador

Just to be sure …

When looking at the picture you added about the pin-numbers and what they mean:

1. Is the view of this picture, the male connector from the backside (soldering side)?
                              2. Are the ground wires (of the input and output cables that I need to combine to the DIN), combined on PIN 2?
                              • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by KolfMAKER. Reason: Added question
                              matador
                              BRONZE Member
                                • Paris France
                                1. Is the view of this picture, the male connector from the backside (soldering side)?

It is not (as often) specified in the Service manual, sorry.

1. Are the ground wires (of the input and output cables that I need to combine to the DIN), combined on PIN 2?

In my experience, they are but you may want it to be confirmed by someone else. Nevertheless, they’re is no other pin available so it must be this.

Guy
                                BRONZE Member
                                  • Warwickshire, UK

Is the view of this picture, the male connector from the backside (soldering side)?

It’s female connector from solder side, or male connector from pin side.

I usually scan Peter Pan’s diagrams to check: http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32157&PN=1

KolfMAKER
                                  BRONZE Member
                                    • The Netherlands

Thanks for referring to Peter Pan’s diagrams Guy, that made it clear!

I like the visual way of understanding the pin layout. In the end, it’s easy to make a mistake if you don’t understand the interpretation of sides: male/female and pin/hole side or solder side.

So a picture like Peter Pan is using, helps a lot:

Schermafbeelding 2022-07-28 om 11.26.07

trackbeo
                                    BRONZE Member

Notice to DIY-ers: DIN connectors often have the pin numbers embossed in the plastic.  So you can check your work.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.