BeoSound 1 discontinued?

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions BeoSound 1 discontinued?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    andy_js
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 8
      • Total Posts 28

The BS1 seems to be out of stock everywhere.  Does anyone know if it has been discontinued?  I’m eager to upgrade my gen 1 with a mozart based version but haven’t heard anything to suggest that’s on the way.

matteventu
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 0
        • Total Posts 56

Yes, it’s been officially discontinued a few months ago.

Replacements are the Level and the new A5 – both sound much better than Beosound 1 to be fair, even though in terms of design they’re far less iconic.

trackbeo
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 8
          • Total Posts 207

Beosound 2, almost-equally iconic, was updated with Mozart. (Understood not mentioned in the same breath above, because not battery-powered and 2.5 times more than BS1-gen.1 cost.  But what price beauty… it’s what I would choose except for price, because my BS1 so rarely leaves its AC base.)

Sandyb
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 1
            • Total Posts 293

speaking of price increases, one of the UK B&O retailers has emailed out some of the new prices.

Looks broad, i.e.plenty of products affected, perhaps the whole portfolio subject to “24 to 30%” increase.

The UK Theatre price is up 33% – 7990GBP from 5990GBP.

I wish them the best of luck.

matteventu
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 0
              • Total Posts 56

speaking of price increases, one of the UK B&O retailers has emailed out some of the new prices. Looks broad, i.e.plenty of products affected, perhaps the whole portfolio subject to “24 to 30%” increase. The UK Theatre price is up 33% – 7990GBP from 5990GBP. I wish them the best of luck.

Even Beoplay headphones?

Sandyb
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 1
                • Total Posts 293

The retailer screenshots I have seen show this : (UK price changes0

Theatre – 5990 GBP to 7990

H95 – 780 up to 880

BR1 – 300 up to 400.

One screenshot says average price increase on the portfolio of 24-30%.

Hard to interpret exactly how they have calculated this figure to be honest.

The 90s are going from 110k euro to 125k euro.

Does seem like an across the board change, of varying %’ages.

andy_js
                BRONZE Member
                  • Topics Started 8
                  • Total Posts 28

That’s a shame.  I think the BS1 is the perfect kitchen speaker and was looking at buying 2 new ones.  The sound quality wasn’t the best but with its other features I thought it was still quite desirable.  Of course mine was only £930 new which made it quite a bit more palatable.

Stan
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 18
                    • Total Posts 137

Yes, it’s been officially discontinued a few months ago.

Replacements are the Level and the new A5 – both sound much better than Beosound 1 to be fair, even though in terms of design they’re far less iconic.

I have to disagree on this point. I tried a BS1 head to head with the Level, and the Level was not that much better to my ears. I know initially, the BS1 was pretty weak, but I believe it got much better sounding as it matured (and B&O upgraded the software). In my testing, yes, the Level sounded better when you were in its not very large “sweet spot”, but otherwise was comparable to the BS1. At least in my kitchen with my ears.  I’ve had one for about 2 years, and I agree it works great in the kitchen.

BeoMatthew
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Topics Started 3
                      • Total Posts 16

Yes, it’s been officially discontinued a few months ago. Replacements are the Level and the new A5 – both sound much better than Beosound 1 to be fair, even though in terms of design they’re far less iconic.

I have to disagree on this point. I tried a BS1 head to head with the Level, and the Level was not that much better to my ears. I know initially, the BS1 was pretty weak, but I believe it got much better sounding as it matured (and B&O upgraded the software). In my testing, yes, the Level sounded better when you were in its not very large “sweet spot”, but otherwise was comparable to the BS1. At least in my kitchen with my ears. I’ve had one for about 2 years, and I agree it works great in the kitchen.

It’s funny to read this because while I was still selling B&O I recall not being very impressed with the sound. Sometimes to the point that I hesitated to demo it. Now I own three and I think the sound is really quite good. I wasn’t aware they changed the tuning in firmware updates but it makes sense!

KathleenC1
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 0
                        • Total Posts 1

Hello, I have a BeoSound 1 that has been in storage for ten years. It works perfectly. I want to know if I can plug in an iPod or iPod to stream music through. It is a CD /Radio.

Thanks for any help.

Millemissen
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Flensborg/Danmark
                          • Topics Started 27
                          • Total Posts 809

Hi KathleenC1

Unfortunately B&O has choosen the name of a previous product (your BS1) for a newer product.
                          This – newer – product has now been discontinued….that is what this thread is about.

Your BS1 was discontinued in 2011, but there are still many of those in use.
                          So, to answer your question – yes, you can connect ‘an iPod or iPod’.
                          In fact you can connect anything that has an audio output there….a mobile phone, a bluetooth adapter etc etc.

Please have a look here page 4.

You will need an adapter cable from 5 pin DIN to e.g. minijack.

IMG_0887

MM

Millemissen
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Flensborg/Danmark
                            • Topics Started 27
                            • Total Posts 809

Hi KathleenC1

Unfortunately B&O has choosen the name of a previous product (your BS1) for a newer product.
                            This – newer – product has now been discontinued….that is what this thread is about.

Your BS1 was discontinued in 2011, but there are still many of those in use.
                            So, to answer your question – yes, you can connect ‘an iPod or iPod’.
                            In fact you can connect anything that has an audio output there….a mobile phone, a bluetooth adapter etc etc.

Please have a look here page 4.

You will need an adapter cable from 5 pin DIN to e.g. minijack.

IMG_0887

MM

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.