BeoLab 3500: how to fix ML input selection?

Tagged: 

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    KolfMAKER
      • The Netherlands
      • Topics Started 36
      • Total Posts 209

I am helping a friend to connect an iPhone to his BeoLab 3500 (MK-II).

I made a custom mini-jack to DIN cable for him for the connection. To make it work I have to use the BeoLink to first switch ML-input: Menu > Menu > 0 > 3 > Go

But practically seen, this is a lot of hassle to do each time, when my friend wants to start playing music.

So my question:
      Is there any way, that the BeoLab 3500 can be forced to stay in ‘ML input’ ?

matador
        • Paris France
        • Topics Started 48
        • Total Posts 689

As far as I know the answer is No.

That’s an old quest to turn a BL3500 into a standalone speaker or a sort of Beosound 35.
        I wanted this for myself very hard, finding the form factor quite interesting.
        But there is no easy solution: you need either a specific Beolink converter or a remote key sequence that you nee to enter each time you turn on the speaker. The only “easy” way I can see is using a Beo 5/6 with a macro.

But I asked Steve from Sound Heavenly the same question you are now and he also told it wont work at all if you have another B&O device that accept IR commands in the same room which was my case.

I asked the forum once if it was no other solution involving dismantling and soldering: I get no answer.

I wish you luck in your search and this item to be hacked one day.

Madskp
          • Denmark
          • Topics Started 55
          • Total Posts 611

Another alternative could be this unit from Almando. https://almando.com/almando-category/almando-masterplay.html
          I do not have any experience with this product, but use their powerlink switch without any issues

francoisvl
            • Topics Started 2
            • Total Posts 10

I use a beolink 1611 converter with all my stand alone BL3500’s. Works perfectly.

Only have to press one button to start listening and you can alter the bass, treble etc and the preset volume. You can’t do anything like when using just a cable.

KolfMAKER
              • The Netherlands
              • Topics Started 36
              • Total Posts 209

Thank you all for responding and for your suggestions, great!

At the moment I try to remain a bit stubborn (bear with me 😉

The BeoLab 3500 is an electronics product, which ‘boots’ when turned on. When booting it sets for the standard settings. Like for instance basic volume level, LED brightness, etc.
              I assume it also sets for a standard audio source/port. So my idea (I still hope it is not a fantasy) is for instance to re-program the settings that get loaded while booting. And by that, set the DIN-connection as standard audio source to ON.

Some products have the ability to change the firmware, or hack it.
              I am curious if anyone has ideas about that.

Millemissen
              BRONZE Member
                • Flensborg/Danmark
                • Topics Started 27
                • Total Posts 806

You’d not be the first to wish for this.

Lot of threads in the previous Beoworld versions.

As an example see here:

https://archivedforum.beoworld.co.uk/forums/p/42470/352106.aspx

If you stay ‘stubborn’ long enough, you might find the solution 🙂

However, the easiest way – as already suggested – is to use the 1611 converter.

By the way….the Powerlink port (that you call DIN connection) is for connecting to a Beolink Wireless 1 in order to make the BL3500 a wireless link speaker.

MM

KolfMAKER
                  • The Netherlands
                  • Topics Started 36
                  • Total Posts 209

Well I can only say that I have made a custom cable (mini-jack > DIN), that connects to the right pins of the MasterLink connection on the BeoLab 3500.

Since what I connect, is not a B&O device, the MasterLink will not automatically ‘sense’ that an audio source wants to play via this connection.
                  So to activate the MasterLink as an audio input, I use the BeoLink remote to switch to the ML-input, by pressing this sequence: “Menu > Menu > 0 > 3 > Go”

The BeoLab than goes to the MasterLink input and my music plays. So everything does work, but I find the sequence one has to handle on the BeoLink, nut very user friendly. That’s why I am looking for an easier way to get the BeoLab 3500 to be activated on the ML input much easier.

1. Preferably because it goes to the ML input when switched on.
                  2. Or by pressing button to activate a kind of macro for the earlier mentioned sequence.

Any ideas, suggestions welcome again!  🙂

matador
                    • Paris France
                    • Topics Started 48
                    • Total Posts 689

Just to be clear, and add to possible answers…

There is the DIN input that I believe to be a service input only, never meant to be use as it.

There is the masterlink input (large rectangle socket) that is THE usual input. It is analogue but it need some dark digital protocol to be started.

Assuming this is right, I’m with you, how couln’t we just keep the beolab with one or the other input as default? Even more, use the Masterlink port on any device as an additional Aux in? Even if it needs to short anything inside.

I really think they are more Beolab 3500 unused than Beolab 3500 used as link room speaker… So sad.

matador
                      • Paris France
                      • Topics Started 48
                      • Total Posts 689

A very interesting thread on the new old forum , unfortunately not giving the actual solution but that still gives hope…

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.co.uk/forums/p/6704/60185.aspx#60185

matador
                        • Paris France
                        • Topics Started 48
                        • Total Posts 689

Hi,

Another lead here Beolab 3500 Standalone

It is said that the speaker is triggered with a 5V signal in the powerlink socket.
                        Never heard about this solution that I would find easy and perfect, but the OP says it works.

matador
                          • Paris France
                          • Topics Started 48
                          • Total Posts 689

Hi KolfMAKER,

Did you find anything new ? I’ve found two Beolab 3500 and like to investigate a way of making them really standalone.

Let’s play with those things and give them a new life!

XavierItzmann
                            • Topics Started 31
                            • Total Posts 130
                            I read about a decade ago, or longer —probably in this forum— that MasterLink is a type of RSC-232 communications network, first introduced in 1960 (or was it its cousin RS-422 from 1975?).  If true, it is probably a subset of the full protocol.  If true, it is not an “analogue” network, but a digital one —for the command and control.  The sound distribution itself is evidently analog.
                            There is the masterlink input (large rectangle socket) that is THE usual input. It is analogue but it need some dark digital protocol to be started.
                            matador
                              • Paris France
                              • Topics Started 48
                              • Total Posts 689

Another lead here Beolab 3500 Standalone

So, I contacted that member Curious-dreamer and he was very kind to give all the details of its setup and answer my questions, Thank you Curious Dreamer!

So, That’s indeed a Beolab 3500 and it is used as a standalone like an usual Beolab speaker.
                              The 3500 is triggered by an external 5v signal coming thru the Din plug. I asked him if that was enough or if another trick was needed. The special Cable was enough and he don’t even have a remote so no cumbersome key sequence here.

I did a cable similar to is: L+R as usual and 5v on pin 1 grounded to pin 7.
                              And… It did not work! The audio part is good, tested in PL mode, and the power part do work and trigger correctly a Beolink Passive.

This do work on its Beolab 3500 but not on mine.
                              Its is a type 1601 with serial 116xxx and S.W 1.1
                              Mine is a type 1601 with serial 194xxx and S.W 3.1

Maybe the problem lies here in the S.W version or maybe I should use pin 4 instead of pin 1 to trigger the speaker? But it’s well known and repeated again and again that the 3500 can’t be used as an usual Beolab. And if it was pin 4, any Powerlink cable should have triggered the speaker right ?

The quest continues…

matador
                                • Paris France
                                • Topics Started 48
                                • Total Posts 689

Ok, I surrender and have a 1611 converter on the road . But…

I vaguely remember and a drawing from our old funky pal Peter Pan seems to confirm that the box MUST be SW 3.1. Mine (my future) is SW 1.3.

What should I expect from this?

Thank you!

Millemissen
                                BRONZE Member
                                  • Flensborg/Danmark
                                  • Topics Started 27
                                  • Total Posts 806

This is probably what you mean:

0043E7F8-1A36-402C-A2EC-F60969239708

I am not sure that he is right (I don’t think he has ever testet it).
                                  You will soon know 😄

MM

matador
                                    • Paris France
                                    • Topics Started 48
                                    • Total Posts 689

Yes, that’s the one I was talking about. Did’nt want to post it without permission but now it’s there that’s the one.

Search on Beoworld often return this limitation, but don’t say what happen if its not SW 3.1.

Guy
                                    BRONZE Member
                                      • Warwickshire, UK
                                      • Topics Started 16
                                      • Total Posts 1,044

I think that’s a misprint – mine are SW1.3 and have worked in that arrangement.

And I would assume that this is the latest version being sold: https://shop.oneremote.dk/shop/69110-parts-for-bo/4072-firmware-beolink-converter-16111612/

And this thread:  https://archivedforum2.beoworld.co.uk/forums/p/42843/311271.aspx#311271

matador
                                        • Paris France
                                        • Topics Started 48
                                        • Total Posts 689

Pfffewwww…

Thank you Guy and guys!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds