BeoLab 2: how to switch on without 5 volt trigger?

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions BeoLab 2: how to switch on without 5 volt trigger?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    KolfMAKER
      • The Netherlands
      • Topics Started 36
      • Total Posts 209

I am in a try-out project to see if I can drive a BeoLab 2 subwoofer wirelessly.

This means that I have to connect the Audio-IN of the wireless module, to pin 1 & 4 of the Powerlink. This is no issue.

What I do wonder about, is how to get the BeoLab 2 to switch from stand-by to ON. It needs a 5v signal to switch to ON.

Question

• Any ideas how to get the stand-by to ON switching done, in this setup?
      Guy
      BRONZE Member
        • Warwickshire, UK
        • Topics Started 16
        • Total Posts 1,044

I don’t think there’s an easy way to do it, however some thoughts:

EDIT:  I only considered ‘automatic’ options.  It would be relatively easy to do if you are prepared to flick a switch each time you want it on!

Carolpa
          • Topics Started 8
          • Total Posts 196

I am in a try-out project to see if I can drive a BeoLab 2 subwoofer wirelessly. This means that I have to connect the Audio-IN of the wireless module, to pin 1 & 4 of the Powerlink. This is no issue. What I do wonder about, is how to get the BeoLab 2 to switch from stand-by to ON. It needs a 5v signal to switch to ON. Question

• Any ideas how to get the stand-by to ON switching done, in this setup?

The simplest solution is known as: Beosound Core or Essense mkII!

KolfMAKER
            • The Netherlands
            • Topics Started 36
            • Total Posts 209

Thnx very much Guy & Carolpa!

The Playmaker, BeoSound Core or Essence are unfortunately no options for this project. I am looking at a way to integrate the streaming completely inside the speaker casing. So no PowerLink cables, only a power cable and no boxes outside the speaker casing.

So I wonder if the 5v triger is something I can create somehow inside the BeoLab 2.

Sia43
              • Topics Started 14
              • Total Posts 89

This youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivTnjK5mLV0) shows a product that seems similar to what you are planning to do. It might be small enough to be built inside the Beolab 2 (just guessing).

It seems like the trigger is going on as soon as a line signal is received and turns itself off after 6 minutes with no signal. I wanted to buy two of these for my Beolab 2000s, but unfortunately, the provided eBay link doesn’t seem to work.

In case you find the product, please let e know.

matador
                • Paris France
                • Topics Started 48
                • Total Posts 689

It seems like the trigger is going on as soon as a line signal is received and turns itself off after 6 minutes with no signal.

I’ve always wonder why no “electronic Guru” ever made that kind of thing: a box that amplify audio signal enough to trigger a relay with a timed auto hold that could power up any Beolab from a line in signal.

I say this as an ignorant but theoretically it doesnt seems so from an outer world, no?

Even by retro engineering the RCA line in part of a Beolab 4/6/8 x1000.

Just a thought.

KolfMAKER
                  • The Netherlands
                  • Topics Started 36
                  • Total Posts 209

@Matador

Very interesting approach!

This is obviously the way B&O equipment handles it.
                  I would be very much interested in a electronics scheme, and make such to try it out.

Any chance you know how such would look like?

matador
                    • Paris France
                    • Topics Started 48
                    • Total Posts 689

It would look like a little box with line-in and line-out sockets and a 5V input (or whatever is need to start the Beolab AND power the box circuitry.

Inside there will be a relay or something similar that would be triggered by the amplified Line-in signal (sound). The relay would have an auto hold loop with some sort of timing circuitry (I.E it would stick for “some” time when no sound is present and then open).

Output of the relay will trigger or not the 5V to the Beolab.

Now, Please note that I’m totally ignorant of how it could impact sound (since we’re playing with the main audio feed, but as far as I remember my electronic classes, this is not NASA technology here.

Guy
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Warwickshire, UK
                      • Topics Started 16
                      • Total Posts 1,044

Maybe something like this (the 5V trigger version) would be suitable: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173940637592

tuttivini
                        • Topics Started 1
                        • Total Posts 26

Why don’t you use a ‘beolab trigger cable for this?

Soundsheavenly makes them.

powmasscables makes them.

Or make it yourself. Put 2.5~5v on pin 4 and pin 7 for ground and all beolab speakers switch on…

KolfMAKER
                          • The Netherlands
                          • Topics Started 36
                          • Total Posts 209

@tuttivini

Thanks for your suggestions!

I know both sources sell trigger cables. I prefer to build something myself, as I want to integrate my whole setup inside the BeoLab 2. The smaller I can get things, the better. So I prefer to have a scheme for such and build something myself.

Guy
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Warwickshire, UK
                            • Topics Started 16
                            • Total Posts 1,044

Why don’t you use a ‘beolab trigger cable for this? Soundsheavenly makes them. powmasscables makes them. Or make it yourself. Put 2.5~5v on pin 4 and pin 7 for ground and all beolab speakers switch on…

I am sure Steve will correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that these ‘trigger cables’ require manual intervention from the user to switch the speaker on. They don’t auto-sense the audio signal and then provide 5v to the PL pin.

I interpreted that KolfMAKER is looking for an automatic solution, hence the links provided in my posts.

KolfMAKER
                              • The Netherlands
                              • Topics Started 36
                              • Total Posts 209

Thnx Guy.

Your right, I’d like to build something (small!) that handles auto-sensing and switching from stand-by to ON, automatically.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
                                • Topics Started 59
                                • Total Posts 328

Hi Guy,

Yes, my cables are manually controlled, although there is nothing to stop you from using this as part of an automated process or within a home automation system if you wish. I get lots of requests to use these cables to force rear surround speakers (eg. Beolab 6000) to remain on instead of clicking on and off when the sound plays to the rear channels, hence the use of manual control in the trigger cables.

Kind regards, Steve.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds