beogram 8000 TT only

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions beogram 8000 TT only

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    thomash
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 17

It does not help matters when this machine has numerous modifications and changes not reflected on the meager service material more withheld than made available by B O.  I am not a rich person and my skill level cannot be magically altered overnight so the insults ridicule and lecturing are not constructive.  Thank you to the people offering ideas in a pleasant way and no thank you to the people who are going out of their way to attack me.  Please stop doing that.  I do not revere bang n olufsen.  I tolerate it as a curiosity.  I have fixed radios and tape recorders and amplifiers and television equipment on the job employed at TV stations.  I fix stuff in people’s living rooms including turntables; stuff that was made in the old ways and with ready access to the connections.  This thing is a rubik’s cube modified by rube goldberg and that is being charitable.  Where does it say that devotion and adoration toward B O is required for membership here?  Meantime I will continue to let myself be nickel and dimed with chips and sockets and transistors and capacitors in what I hope becomes a less quixotic adventure, not more.

chartz
        • Burgundy
        • Topics Started 3
        • Total Posts 199

Hi,

Nobody attacks you I’m sure Thomas.

We’re here to help with no agenda whatsoever. Advice is free.

Just that these decks are a little complicated and that you should have good notions in electronics to be able to return them to full functionality.

Everybody here went to a sometimes lengthy learning process thanks to knowledgeable and friendly people like Martin or John aka Sonavor. We also share our findings whenever something new turns up.

So, look, listen and learn. Study diagrams and schematics, ask us questions, and fix your Beogram 8000. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

Jacques

Mark
          • Topics Started 6
          • Total Posts 113

For many reasons I wish I were in Danmark to have someone who knows their way around it fix it but that is logistically impossible.

I purchased a Beogram 8002 from someone on eBay which is from Texas.  He specializes in refurbishing Beogram 8000 and 8002.  He tears down the turnable replaces all the capacitors and does everything necessary to bring it up to specs and restore it to “new” condition.  For me the turntable was quite a deal price-wise, and it replaced a Beogram 8002 turntable I also bought from eBay that was nothing but trouble.  I have had no trouble with the new turntable and I can play transparent disks without a mat which surprised me.  I don’t know if he would refurbish  turntables for other people and it probably wouldn’t be cheap.  If you think your turntable is worth the effort and cost I could email him and ask him about it.

chartz
            • Burgundy
            • Topics Started 3
            • Total Posts 199

I think we know the bloke from Texas pretty well here! 😊

Audionerd87
              • United States
              • Topics Started 0
              • Total Posts 4

As someone who started on the B&O bandwagon long after this generation was off the market (started frequenting this forum (on/off) in ‘07) the advice you have been given is much of the same as I was when starting out (actually in much friendlier terms, as I was a know-it all teenager then lol). Everyone so far on this thread means beyond well. The 8000 is a complicated deck both in terms of function and execution. Much like 80/81 Beomaster 8000’s they were paired with, some were simply better machines than others. The 8000 series components were effectively the hifi equivalents of automotive HALO models put into production. They pushed the technological limits of their  time, implementing features that would go on to be continuously perfected and incorporated in some of their most advanced systems in the proceeding decade. However, as they transitioned from the end of the solid state era, into the digital revolution there was a bit of generational overlap unique to these pieces that may make them rather counter intuitive and not the easiest to troubleshoot without many hours of reading and practical trial and error experience.

These decks can be made functional (although longevity is not a guarantee) with a parts machine as a donor, or restored to greatness with the help of those who have done so before, but not so much brought back to life in piecemeal fashion.

thomash
                • Topics Started 1
                • Total Posts 17

I get that people’s intentions might be good and I hope mine are too.  Words on a screen can be misinterpreted and I am sorry for mischaracterizing anyone.

Yesterday I did manage to get correct speed to go along with previously fixed power supply and arm control and muting problems.  I did this piecemeal myself using only DVM and scope and general circuit advice theory from people not on this forum.  A generic opto device from amazon is now in place held by a bread tie.  IC3 and IC1 are new with sockets; the other ones are OK so far.  My old ones might be OK; I replaced them being unsure of observed failures which turned out to have other causes.  A couple dozen capacitors have been replaced as well.  So I should be doing cartwheels.

The sapphire shank n stylus came to me broken with just a stub poking from cartridge.  My first attempt to super glue a needle on resulted in poor sound and my second attempt to super glue a better needle on ended in disaster.  My three choices are pay insane stupid money for replacement, cut this cartridge open with a dremel tool  and try again to glue a stylus n cantilever on or adapt a lightweight small generic cartridge to the existing connections.

I fully expect to be talked out of two of those ideas but am all ears.  Thank you.

Mark
                  • Topics Started 6
                  • Total Posts 113

What are you hoping to get out of this turntable/project?  Are you looking for a really good turntable or the experience fixing it, or something else?  They are all valid reasons.  I don’t think I understand the idea of super gluing the cantilever on, but this isn’t my area of expertise.

I hear many complaints of vinyl reproduction, and I have to wonder how much of it could be the quality of the cartridge.

thomash
                    • Topics Started 1
                    • Total Posts 17

Mark I have multiple reasons for attacking this machine.  It came to me only because owner had found it in junkpile from two generations ago deceased relatives and was ready to toss it in garbage.  I stopped him and began what has now been a 2 month project.  Mostly I wanted to prove a point: making an amazing old thing work again is a test of skill and analytic ability.  Even if the old thing has been rendered obsolete.  Right now the crude grafting of a needle to the generating member of the cartridge is working well enough to continue concept testing.  It would be nice to find a OK lower end cartridge with intact needle for this at a cheap price out of dead broken machine.  I would use it on one of my analog home systems as a gee whiz conversation piece.

matador
                      • Paris France
                      • Topics Started 48
                      • Total Posts 689

Thank you to the people offering ideas in a pleasant way and no thank you to the people who are going out of their way to attack me.

Thomash,

I’ve been there too. Beoworld people can sometimes look or sound harsh. I’ve felt myself excluded from a closed circle of “knowing people”. But what I learned is that sometimes when, as you did through your experiments, look able to sort it out by yourself, members won’t interfere. They let you dig and dig and dig again and find out until you’re really stuck and then they show up with respect and good willing.

Long time since I’ve seen a post from Dillen more than one line. He told you “You have already achieved more than most owners could/would.”. Trust me, its a golden badge.

Purpose of Beoworld (as I see it) is not to repair your stuff for you. It is to teach you how to repair any stuff.  Sometimes it hurts, yes. But in the end its really rewarding.

Your Deck is a gem, everybody told you that. Get it up and working!

See this as an “bizutage” in French.

Welcome to Beoworld.

chartz
                        • Burgundy
                        • Topics Started 3
                        • Total Posts 199

As regards cartridges I’ll advise Soundsmith

in the USA. They have brand new models also used by B&O nowadays.

Glitch
                          • Topics Started 18
                          • Total Posts 267

These decks can be made functional (although longevity is not a guarantee) with a parts machine as a donor

This has never worked for me… Eventually, I always fix the donor machine and it becomes a spare/backup machine ;-).

It would be nice to find a OK lower end cartridge with intact needle for this at a cheap price out of dead broken machine.

This is possible, but you will need to be very, very patient while waiting for something to become available. I think that many of the old B&O turntables get taken out of service when something happens to the cartridge. For the rest of the broken machines, people seem to remove the cartridge before they sell the rest for parts.

Additionally, when something does come up for sale, you have to quickly buy it before one of the other zealots from this forum snaps it up from under you.  😉

Glitch

thomash
                            • Topics Started 1
                            • Total Posts 17

Thank you Glitch for this advice.  Meantime I sliced the front off this cartridge where the cantilever had broken off.  Surprise surprise it is the same structure as the old SP6 with a little X stuck on rubber block and the cantilever secured to the X.  The pole pieces are in a block of green rubbery stuff but they made this as a sealed unit unlike the old SP6 where the front comes off and gets replaced.  If I can make a tiny X and secure a cantilever n needle to it, I can mount the X on the rubber and this thing will still work.  If I touch pole pieces with ferrous tool, the speakers thump left n right.  X structure n cantilever on SP6 is much too large to cannibalize otherwise I would buy one and get it on here somehow.  If somebody made it farther than I have already, thank you for tips.

chartz
                              • Burgundy
                              • Topics Started 3
                              • Total Posts 199

It won’t work. Completely different contexts, with incompatible characteristics.

Are you trying to save money or do you want a great deck ruined by a DIY mess?

Buy a new cartridge from Soundsmith and enjoy the music 🎼

Glitch
                                • Topics Started 18
                                • Total Posts 267

Meantime I sliced the front off this cartridge where the cantilever had broken off.

Pictures please.  I, and likely many others, find it very interesting to see the inner workings of things that people normally don’t cut apart.

It also might be worth a search of the forum history to see if anyone has tried this before. One of the more recent similar threads is here.

Glitch

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds