Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoGram Beogram 4000 and Beolab 5s

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    J0hnbarker
    FOUNDER Member

Hello everyone. Long time, no post!

I have a question about using my newly acquired Beogram 4000 in conjunction with my Beolab 5s. They are currently set up in a single room along with my Beovision 10 and Beosound 9000 as per the bottom picture in the image below:

Bilde 59

To clairfy, that means the Beosound 9000 is connected to the Beovision 10 by a Masterlink cable, and the Beosound 9000 is connected to the first Lab 5 by the s/pdif digital cable. The Lab 5s are connected together by daisy chain with a second s/pdif digital cable.

There is a powerlink cable from the Beovision 10 to each Lab 5.

The Beosound 9000 is in option 0

The Beovision 10 is in option 2

The Lab 5s are in option 0

My question is, why can’t I hear a radio source or be able to use by Beogram 4000 via the aux input with this setup? I have a pre-amp and all the cabling from Steve but I can’t figure out why the only audio output from the Beosound 9000 is the CD. It’s all connected up as per the instructions, so I had assumed the non-digital audio signal would get sent via the ML to the Beovision, then on to the Lab 5s by the powerlink cables from the Beovision itself.

Can anyone help please? I have discussed with Steve but it’s still unresolved.

Guy
        • Warwickshire, UK

Not sure about the RADIO, but how are you selecting the AUX input for the Beogram?

Have you tried pressing A.MEM instead of A.AUX?

Have you tried disconnecting the spdif cable? (Sorry but I don’t know enough about BL5 to know why it is there! – EDIT: Because the BL5 has its own D to A converter, obviously!))

AdamS
        GOLD Member

If you’re using the digital output of the Beosound 9000, then the CD is the only source you will hear as that’s the only one that has a digital output.

You will not be able to output the radio or anything plugged into the AUX socket through the digital output as these are both analogue signals, and the 9000 does not have an inbuilt ADC to digitise these.

matador
            • Paris France

As the OP mentioned, I would have expect the analog sources of the 9000 travel via Master link to the BV and then the speakers.

Guy
              • Warwickshire, UK

I vaguely remember something about the BS9000 RADIO being disabled when it’s in A.OPT 0, but I can’t find any references to this, so perhaps I dreamt it! ?

matador
                • Paris France

Not sure: when I bought mine it had no speaker connected which would automatically turn the unit in A.OPT 0, but I still could check the unit listening to the radio thought headphones. (Didn’t spared me to buy an unit with all the sledge linkage missing ;-))

Beobuddy
                FOUNDER Member

It’s a configuration that should work.
                  By pressing Radio on the remote the BV10 comes to life and drives the BS9000. (V-opt 2 and A-opt 0).
                  By pressing CD the same happens but the digital signal will overide the analog signal on the powerlink. Still fully wired powerlink cables are needed to control the BL5’s.
                  Which mk is your BS9000?

J0hnbarker
                  FOUNDER Member

Hi Everyone

Just a quick update: I had checked that each piece of equipment was in the correct option several times, but still nothing was working.

I decided it wouldn’t hurt to try and power everything down, then configure the BS9000 in option 0, BV10 in option 2, and the Lab 5s in option 0. Once I did this, everything worked!

Definitely worth trying the turn it off/on tactic in this case. Hopefully it will be helpful for anyone else in a similar scenario.

Hi,

Glad you got it sorted.  My next step was to find a setup with a 9000 and BL5s in a store to do some testing on, so I’m pleased that you found the right option settings.

Kind regards, Steve.

J0hnbarker
                    FOUNDER Member

Thanks Steve

Appreciate your help throughout. It’s not easy connecting products across the generations, but we got there in the end!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.