Beocord vx5000

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Beocord vx5000

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    gpv
      • Topics Started 7
      • Total Posts 53

Hi all, I have a Beocord vx5000 VHS VCR that has stopped working.
      The display turns on but does not pick up the cassette.
      I disassembled and checked the power supply which is ok, the microswitches under the mechanics are ok.
      What else can I check?

Die_Bogener
        • Topics Started 3
        • Total Posts 187

Ups. Does it still have a picture…?

The vx5000 has severe problems with the caps.

This is the quite normal minimum amount of caps to be replaced in a VX5000.

Do not power up the vx without having replaced each of them. The boards will be contaminated with acid beyond repair… and there are no survivors when acid is on the boards.

I have done lots of boards in the 90.ties, removing 100% of the caps and storing them without the caps.

Even brandnew stored, 1 time powered up is enough to make the caps loosing their acid. So DO NOT POWER UP  a VX without having done the job,

I have done a lot of them…

gpv
          • Topics Started 7
          • Total Posts 53

Thanks for the answer, I checked the capacitors but none are leaking, however I will change them.
          The problem is this: it doesn’t load the cassette and nothing starts, if I insert it by hand turning under the mechanism and then turn on the vx5000 it ejects it.
          I replaced the capacitors on the power supply board. I wanted to know which ones need to be replaced to see if the motor that spins the head works

Die_Bogener
            • Topics Started 3
            • Total Posts 187

OK, if the VX plays dead: replace the lithium Battery. 3,3V Mignon.

But no leaking? Very, very unusual…

When you have replaced it, we go to the capstan.

gpv
              • Topics Started 7
              • Total Posts 53

ok anyway I took the battery apart and checked it was charged. Yes, no leaks, capacitors look like new. Practically when I turn it on you feel it straining under the belt, for a few seconds you see the stereo LED bar then it turns off. The head cylinder does not turn when doing the testIMG_20230508_192208-scaled

IMG_20230508_192215-scaled

gpv
                • Topics Started 7
                • Total Posts 53

Replaced battery but problem remains

Die_Bogener
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Total Posts 187

The cassette loading mechanism is ok? Not broken?

Loading/Unloding is working?

Usually the capstan motor does not turn forward/backward any more, just one direction breaking the loading unit.

Replace caps on the capstan.

If defect… and they are the first caps to fail… they cause an overload on the 12V line, causing an emergancy shut-off of the vx

If the smd chip becomes hot, you have found the problem.

gpv
                    • Topics Started 7
                    • Total Posts 53

Cassette loading mechanism is ok
                    the cassette is not loaded, even pushing it does not activate anything, if I load it by hand by turning under the mechanism it is inserted.
                    I try to change the capacitors as you say.
                    I will let you know.
                    Thank you

gpv
                      • Topics Started 7
                      • Total Posts 53

changed capacitors but the problem remains.
                      I inserted the cassette manually then I powered the motor and the tape was loaded so the mechanism works.
                      the problem is that there is no consent to start when I insert the cassette but I don’t understand why.
                      What house is it that starts it all?IMG_20230505_172329-scaled

filip_kbh
                        • Copenhagen
                        • Topics Started 18
                        • Total Posts 132

Did you clean the black part with the white pin with an arrow in the middle – not sure what it is called – to the left of the drawer motor. It will corrode and could cause all sorts of problems.

gpv
                          • Topics Started 7
                          • Total Posts 53

It disassembled open and cleaned. The problem is that when I try to insert the cassette the microswitch should start the motor but it doesn’t do anything. I checked the microswitch and it works

filip_kbh
                            • Copenhagen
                            • Topics Started 18
                            • Total Posts 132

Can you run the VTR without a cassette? See section 7-1 in the service manual.

Also, if the fan motor is blocked, the VTR goes into standby within 1-2 seconds according to the service manual.

filip_kbh
                              • Copenhagen
                              • Topics Started 18
                              • Total Posts 132

This thread by Die Bogener is also worth a read.

gpv
                                • Topics Started 7
                                • Total Posts 53

I turned the wheel with the strap under the mechanics by hand and positioned the cassette.
                                When I turn it on it ejects the cassette.
                                I also noticed that as soon as it is turned on it does the test, the engine tries to turn the wheel described above for a few seconds but the belt slips and goes into protection

Yes, I’ve already read Die Bogener’s thread, but it doesn’t describe my problem

gpv
                                  • Topics Started 7
                                  • Total Posts 53

What else could it be? I don’t want to throw it in the landfill

Die_Bogener
                                    • Topics Started 3
                                    • Total Posts 187

The capstan has something like a tachometer funktion. Pushed by loading a tape will initiate a reaction of the motor, a wake up funktion.

There is a 4.th cap on the motor, hmmm… 3,3uf… that is the tacho. replace it.

gpv
                                      • Topics Started 7
                                      • Total Posts 53

Thanks for the advice, I’ll replace it and hope it gets going again.

gpv
                                        • Topics Started 7
                                        • Total Posts 53

Hi I replaced the condenser even if it was good.
                                        The problem remains.
                                        I enclose the addresses of two videos uploaded on youtube to show you the problem.
                                        When I turn it on the left wheel spins for a few seconds then stops while the head doesn’t move. In the second video you can see my hand dragging the mechanics, then by pressing any button it is ejected

Die_Bogener
                                          • Topics Started 3
                                          • Total Posts 187

The VX5000 will never activate the cylinder head in a bright room and missing the loading unit. The VX hates bright light on the tape deck. Bright light=broken Tape

There is a switch under the loading gear. And 3 IR LED detecting a loaded tape. 2 receiver and 1 sender in the middle.

Without a tape it will NEVER start. The VX will also detect a missing or defect tape when the wheels are stopped and not turning. He will detect a stopping tape problem.

Only unloading will work with the button.

Loading works only, if the IR LED right in the middle ist manipulated with black tape. Loading, not running.

Without a real tape you cant test the VX. I use defect tapes which were glued or cut or mechanical damaged…

gpv
                                            • Topics Started 7
                                            • Total Posts 53

Of course I agree but I made the video this way because when it’s all assembled it behaves the same way, I wanted to show that only the head unit doesn’t turn. I can make the video with a cassette but the problem is the same

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 86 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds