Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Beocord 2000 will not play

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions Vintage Products Beocord 2000 will not play

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    CharlieWednesday
    GOLD Member
      • Liverpool
      • Topics Started 9
      • Total Posts 24

I have bought a BeoCord 2000 cassette deck from eBay – didn’t really need a cassette deck but it matches my BeoMaster 2000 and BeoGram 2000 and makes the set!

The seller assures me it worked but when it has arrived, it won’t work.  It looks in great condition and it powers on, but if I press Play, you can hear a distinct ‘clunk’ sound but the heads don’t engage and the motor doesn’t turn.  After just a second, it puts itself back in Stop.  It’s as if it thinks no cassette is inserted?

Rewind and FF do the same – neither motor turns, and it stops itself after a second.

Thought I might as well post here is case it’s a known problem and someone knows a fix?

Ninni
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 3
        • Total Posts 23

Have you checked that the mechanism belts are OK? This will happen if the drive belt has failed.

CharlieWednesday
        GOLD Member
          • Liverpool
          • Topics Started 9
          • Total Posts 24

Thanks for the tip – you were spot on (and the eBay seller was a liar – this clearly did not work when sold!).  The two drive belts are in place (but a bit loose), but the smallest belt, which I believe is how it detects the presence of a cassette, was totally degraded – it was practically liquid when touched.  That would explain why it behaves as if no cassette is in place even when one is.  I can get a full set of the 3 belts for £15 so will buy and replace; thanks very much for your help.

Searched YouTube and found video “Bang & Olufsen Beocord 2000 Cassette Deck – Repair, Mods, Belts & Service”, and that proved invaluable.

The eBay seller agreed to refund half the cost, so that’s something.

Ninni
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 3
            • Total Posts 23

The smallest belt is for detecting that the take-up spool rotates. This is for detecting end-of-tape and turning off the transport when the tape ends. The belt usually drives a rotating magnet and a hall-element (that detects the magnetism). So if this belt is no more, the deck always thinks that the tape has ended.

CharlieWednesday
            GOLD Member
              • Liverpool
              • Topics Started 9
              • Total Posts 24

Thanks – that does explain the behaviour exactly.  eBay seller gave me a partial refund and I have ordered replacement belt kit, so hopefully, will all soon be in order.

CharlieWednesday
              GOLD Member
                • Liverpool
                • Topics Started 9
                • Total Posts 24

Update – belts arrived, fitted quite easily (using the YouTube video I mention in previous post), would you beleive the damned thing works perfectly.  Needs some cleaning but honestly, sounds pretty decent.  Thanks for your help Ninni.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions Vintage Products Beocord 2000 will not play

• You must be logged in to create new topics.