BeoCenter 2300 AUX input from DAC line-out low volume?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ChrisE
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 2

Hi all! Excited to join this forum which I’ve found while looking for a solution to the following curiosity:

I have recently tried to breathe some new life into a Beocenter 2300 w/ Beolab 8000 by hooking it up to a Topping DX3Pro+ DAC / Headphone pre.

I have two aux-in cables, one is 3.5mm jack to 7-pin DIN B&O Aux, the other is RCA to 7-pin DIN B&O Aux.

When I connect the 3.5mm jack to the headphone out of the Topping (Gain 6.0 dB, volume control at 0.0 dB) I get beautifully clear sound, and I can volume-control the setup through either the input device (phone streaming to Topping via BT), the DAC, or the Beocenter.

However, when I connect the RCA to Aux cable to the Topping’s stereo line out, I get barely audible sound from the Beocenter (at volumes 40+).

Here’s the question: Is this known behaviour with the Aux inputs of this generation of B&O equipment? i.e., are they better driven from a headphone out than a line-out because of the headphone out’s lower impedance? The other two options would be: faulty RCA to Aux cable (but this one is brand new), or faulty line out on the Topping (which I hope is not the case).

Thanks a lot for sharing your insights!

Millemissen
      BRONZE Member
        • Flensborg/Danmark
        • Topics Started 27
        • Total Posts 806

Some DAC’s have different setting for the output mode.

Could it be that you’d have to change settings when using either the line out or the hp output?

MM

Guy
        BRONZE Member
          • Warwickshire, UK
          • Topics Started 16
          • Total Posts 1,044

However, when I connect the RCA to Aux cable to the Topping’s stereo line out, I get barely audible sound from the Beocenter (at volumes 40+).

Are you sure that the RCA to 7-pin DIN cable is wired as an input at the DIN end? (i.e to pin 3 and 5, not 1 and 4)

ChrisE
            • Topics Started 1
            • Total Posts 2

Thank you both for your comments!
            The Topping DAC does not allow for different gain settings on the line-out, just for the headphone out which is +6.0 dB (or alternatively +19.0 dB), 5.5Vpp, Output Impedance < .01 Ohm… (according to tech specs).

Line output is 2.1Vrms @0dBFS at 20 Ohm… Not an expert about these specs; I am not an audio engineer… But my intuition suggests that the levelling between the line out of the DAC and the Aux input of the B&O is off-specs.

@Guy: Yes, I’ve checked that (at least according to the cable specs). Also I can hear some really quiet audio input on the Beolab 8000 when connecting line to aux. See the cable specs/description from AMZN attached.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds