Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Beosound Core – connectivity and alternatives

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    DT79
    BRONZE Member

Hi, looking for some expert advice.  I’m pretty set on getting some Beolab 18s after listening to a nice second hand pair at my local dealer at the weekend. Initially these would replace my existing speakers and be run from my current amp alongside existing subwoofers.

In time I plan to streamline further and like the idea of potentially replacing the rest of the system with a Beolab 19 and Beosound Core.

I have a range of installed cabling already, but am very constrained in my ability to run any additional cables. I have 4* 75 ohm Coax on RCA sockets running from the vicinity of the turntable; 2 running to behind where each speaker will be. Additionally a length of as yet unterminated balanced mic cable running to behind each speaker locale. I also have a length of Cat 6 on RJ45s running from  the vicinity of the TT to near where the right hand speaker will be.

My requirements/constraints/questions are:

1) Need to connect up my turntable as this is my main and most enjoyed source. It’s on the other side of the room from where the speakers will be and can’t be relocated

2) I use Roon for streaming. As I understand it the Beosound core will show up as an audio device via Chromcast in Roon so all good there.

3) Does the Core have its own in-built volume adjustment? I.e. I can connect my phono preamp into the Core’s analogue input and control volume in the Core via the B&O app or a B&O remote if I get one?

4) What are opinions of the quality of the analogue to digital conversion in the Core? Am I still going to get a high quality result from my analogue front end?

5) What’s the best way of connecting from Core to BL18s assuming the Core is positioned near the TT and optical isn’t an option*? Would I be right in thinking I could use the Cat6 as a power link cable, so I could go from Core to right hand BL18 (this would need a short RJ45 female to RJ45 male extension to get to the speaker) then another Cat6/powerlink cable between the speakers? Is there any advantage to going wired vs Wireless these days?

6) I believe the powerlink cables even the new RJ45 style connections send an analogue signal, is that right?

7) *It’s a bit convoluted but if having a wired digital connection is the decisively best option then I could go Core>optical to coax converter>coax cable>installed coax cable>coax cable>coax to optical converter>BL18. Not sure if it will even work through all those connections

8) Are there any decent 3rd party alternatives to the Core that will be Roon compatible and allow the connection of an analogue source? Any streaming preamp I suppose, which is essentially what I already have, but I presumably wouldn’t have any option to run the BL18s with a BL19 in optimal/intended fashion.

9) Does anyone know if there are any plans to update the Core as it’s very highly priced for what it is, has limited input options (just 1 really, a choice of analogue or optical), so if there’s a chance it will be updated then I’d hold off.

Sorry massive brain dump! Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Dan

Sandyb
      BRONZE Member

2. Roon / Core – Yes the Core will show up as both a Chromecast endpoint and Airplay endpoint. Enable either or both in the Roon settings.

3. Volume control – yes the B&O app has volume control for the Core. You can also use the Beoremote 1, though thats predominately a Tv remote, so might be overkill if you don’t have B&O tv. But both options are available.

4. no comment on this – high quality means many different things to different people.

6. Yes.

8. There will doubtless be alternatives. But if you use case / demands are straightforward, the Core is quite a neat solution.  Non-straightforward demands being things such as having a Roon Ready endpoint as opposed to a (Roon visible) but only Airplay / CC endpoint. Or a streamer with native Tidal Connect, etc etc. Or something with a very high end DAC on board.

But for perfectly fine streaming, a bridge for your turntable, and ability to connect and setup/control 18s+19, the Core is a neat solution.

Personally I’d say one of the high end streamer/DAC units would be somewhat wasted / unnecessary for speakers like the 18s.  (I had 18s and a 19 for 7 years)

DT79
        BRONZE Member

2. Roon / Core – Yes the Core will show up as both a Chromecast endpoint and Airplay endpoint. Enable either or both in the Roon settings. 3. Volume control – yes the B&O app has volume control for the Core. You can also use the Beoremote 1, though thats predominately a Tv remote, so might be overkill if you don’t have B&O tv. But both options are available. 4. no comment on this – high quality means many different things to different people. 6. Yes. 8. There will doubtless be alternatives. But if you use case / demands are straightforward, the Core is quite a neat solution. Non-straightforward demands being things such as having a Roon Ready endpoint as opposed to a (Roon visible) but only Airplay / CC endpoint. Or a streamer with native Tidal Connect, etc etc. Or something with a very high end DAC on board. But for perfectly fine streaming, a bridge for your turntable, and ability to connect and setup/control 18s+19, the Core is a neat solution. Personally I’d say one of the high end streamer/DAC units would be somewhat wasted / unnecessary for speakers like the 18s. (I had 18s and a 19 for 7 years)

Great, thanks for your help.

BeoMatthew
          BRONZE Member

1) Need to connect up my turntable as this is my main and most enjoyed source. It’s on the other side of the room from where the speakers will be and can’t be relocated. Ok.

2) I use Roon for streaming. As I understand it the Beosound Core will show up as an audio device via Chromcast in Roon so all good there. Correct. The Core is not Roon Ready, but would use Chromecast as you describe. 

3) Does the Core have its own in-built volume adjustment? I.e. I can connect my phono preamp into the Core’s analogue input and control volume in the Core via the B&O app or a B&O remote if I get one? That’s correct.  It’s a fully integrated audio system in that regard.

4) What are opinions of the quality of the analogue to digital conversion in the Core? Am I still going to get a high quality result from my analogue front end? I use a BeoCenter 6500 with one of mine and the sound is terrific.  

5) What’s the best way of connecting from Core to BL18s assuming the Core is positioned near the TT and optical isn’t an option*? Would I be right in thinking I could use the Cat6 as a power link cable, so I could go from Core to right hand BL18 (this would need a short RJ45 female to RJ45 male extension to get to the speaker) then another Cat6/powerlink cable between the speakers? Is there any advantage to going wired vs Wireless these days? There are a lot of correct answers to this, because the BL18s have a wide variety of inputs. You categorically CANNOT use Cat6 as a direct replacement for PowerLink (such that you would connect it to the RJ45 ports on either the core or the speaker, however you can use RCA baluns to get your signal to the other side of the room using a Cat6 cable.

You’d go RJ45PL to RCA adapter -> RCA balun -> Cat6 -> RCA balun -> RCA cable to each speaker

6) I believe the powerlink cables even the new RJ45 style connections send an analogue signal, is that right? They send an analog L+R signal, plus turn-on voltage. The speaker line-senses when connected via RCA

7) *It’s a bit convoluted but if having a wired digital connection is the decisively best option then I could go Core>optical to coax converter>coax cable>installed coax cable>coax cable>coax to optical converter>BL18. Not sure if it will even work through all those connections. You’re not going digital to the BeoLab 18s. Don’t worry about this step. You’re analog from the time you leave the Core.

8) Are there any decent 3rd party alternatives to the Core that will be Roon compatible and allow the connection of an analogue source? Any streaming preamp I suppose, which is essentially what I already have, but I presumably wouldn’t have any option to run the BL18s with a BL19 in optimal/intended fashion. The Bluesound Node is a terrific option and dispenses with having to translate PowerLink adapters and such. So long as you don’t care about the BeoLink Multiroom ecosystem it would be a great alternative.

9) Does anyone know if there are any plans to update the Core as it’s very highly priced for what it is, has limited input options (just 1 really, a choice of analogue or optical), so if there’s a chance it will be updated then I’d hold off. Only the faintest of rumors as far as I can tell. Since they’re moving to more “intelligent” speakers I almost wonder if they’ll phase that sort of product out eventually, but it would be ludicrous considering they’d need something to drive in-walls/in-ceilings, etc. to complete a whole home. But definitely nothing worth waiting for.

DT79
            BRONZE Member

1) Need to connect up my turntable as this is my main and most enjoyed source. It’s on the other side of the room from where the speakers will be and can’t be relocated. Ok. 2) I use Roon for streaming. As I understand it the Beosound Core will show up as an audio device via Chromcast in Roon so all good there. Correct. The Core is not Roon Ready, but would use Chromecast as you describe. 3) Does the Core have its own in-built volume adjustment? I.e. I can connect my phono preamp into the Core’s analogue input and control volume in the Core via the B&O app or a B&O remote if I get one? That’s correct. It’s a fully integrated audio system in that regard. 4) What are opinions of the quality of the analogue to digital conversion in the Core? Am I still going to get a high quality result from my analogue front end? I use a BeoCenter 6500 with one of mine and the sound is terrific. 5) What’s the best way of connecting from Core to BL18s assuming the Core is positioned near the TT and optical isn’t an option*? Would I be right in thinking I could use the Cat6 as a power link cable, so I could go from Core to right hand BL18 (this would need a short RJ45 female to RJ45 male extension to get to the speaker) then another Cat6/powerlink cable between the speakers? Is there any advantage to going wired vs Wireless these days? There are a lot of correct answers to this, because the BL18s have a wide variety of inputs. You categorically CANNOT use Cat6 as a direct replacement for PowerLink (such that you would connect it to the RJ45 ports on either the core or the speaker, however you can use RCA baluns to get your signal to the other side of the room using a Cat6 cable. You’d go RJ45PL to RCA adapter -> RCA balun -> Cat6 -> RCA balun -> RCA cable to each speaker 6) I believe the powerlink cables even the new RJ45 style connections send an analogue signal, is that right? They send an analog L+R signal, plus turn-on voltage. The speaker line-senses when connected via RCA 7) *It’s a bit convoluted but if having a wired digital connection is the decisively best option then I could go Core>optical to coax converter>coax cable>installed coax cable>coax cable>coax to optical converter>BL18. Not sure if it will even work through all those connections. You’re not going digital to the BeoLab 18s. Don’t worry about this step. You’re analog from the time you leave the Core. 8) Are there any decent 3rd party alternatives to the Core that will be Roon compatible and allow the connection of an analogue source? Any streaming preamp I suppose, which is essentially what I already have, but I presumably wouldn’t have any option to run the BL18s with a BL19 in optimal/intended fashion. The Bluesound Node is a terrific option and dispenses with having to translate PowerLink adapters and such. So long as you don’t care about the BeoLink Multiroom ecosystem it would be a great alternative. 9) Does anyone know if there are any plans to update the Core as it’s very highly priced for what it is, has limited input options (just 1 really, a choice of analogue or optical), so if there’s a chance it will be updated then I’d hold off. Only the faintest of rumors as far as I can tell. Since they’re moving to more “intelligent” speakers I almost wonder if they’ll phase that sort of product out eventually, but it would be ludicrous considering they’d need something to drive in-walls/in-ceilings, etc. to complete a whole home. But definitely nothing worth waiting for.

Great, thanks, very useful info and advice.

It seems that going wirelessly from the Core to the BL18s/19 is going to be the easiest option. Is there any downside quality wise vs wired? In the past there would have been but not sure whether that still applies.

BeoMatthew
              BRONZE Member

In terms of going wireless, you’ll need the BeoLab Wireless 1 transmitter that will connect to the Core. The Core doesn’t output WiSA itself. Otherwise I’ve found that to be a perfectly stable connection and the sound is great.

DT79
                BRONZE Member

In terms of going wireless, you’ll need the BeoLab Wireless 1 transmitter that will connect to the Core. The Core doesn’t output WiSA itself. Otherwise I’ve found that to be a perfectly stable connection and the sound is great.

Thanks – that is a key detail that I had misunderstood!

DT79
                  BRONZE Member

OK thanks @BeoMatthew, with your help I’ve figured out that what I would need is a Transmitter 1, not a Beosound Core. I need to connect my turntable and although I didn’t mention it, I have an Oppo UHD player that I can connect for Roon and then transmit to the 18s/19 wirelessly.

DT79
                    BRONZE Member

Actually Does the Transmitter act as a preamp (control the volume)? It’s not obvious one way or the other reading the B&O product page.

YannChris
                      FOUNDER Member
                        • Brittany, France

Hi,

The Transmitter acts as a bridge between a wired source and wireless-enabled speakers.

So in my opinion, it does not act like a preamp and volume control is not supported.

Here is the user manual of the transmitter:

https://bangolufsenassistentgohe.blob.core.windows.net/manuals/APPS_AND_ACCESSORIES/BEOLAB_TRANSMITTER_1/3511267_1310_UG_BeoLab_Transmitter_1_v1_3_Web.pdf

Kind regards,

Yann.

DT79
                        BRONZE Member

Hi, The Transmitter acts as a bridge between a wired source and wireless-enabled speakers. So in my opinion, it does not act like a preamp and volume control is not supported. Here is the user manual of the transmitter: https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/fr/articles/360041404192-Beolab-Transmitter-1 Kind regards, Yann.

ok thanks for confirming. Seems strange for a product with multiple inputs. Don’t suppose B&O has an audio oriented device which combines the functions of the Transmitter and the Core?

YannChris
                          FOUNDER Member
                            • Brittany, France

The manual, on page 4 states that volume must be controlled by the source.

The Beosound Moment was wireless-enabled.

Yann.

DT79
                            BRONZE Member

The manual, on page 4 states that volume must be controlled by the source. The Beosound Moment was wireless-enabled. Yann.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

DT79
                              BRONZE Member

Hi – I’m gradually pulling together all the stuff I need. I’ve got my BL18s, running off a non-B&O system for now and sounding fantastic. I’ve got a BL19 which I’m using in another system for now and picked up a Transmitter 1 as well.  Just waiting for a Beosound Core to come up s/h at a decent price and i can put it all together and try it.

One further question about the Core though and I ask this because it only has one non-B&O analogue input which they’ve idiotically combined with the optical mini-jack input…. Is it possible to plug a non-B&O analogue source into a powerlink input with some kind of adaptor cable?

Thanks!

Millemissen
                                BRONZE Member
                                  • Flensborg————Danmark

Is it possible to plug a non-B&O analogue source into a powerlink input with some kind of adaptor cable?

No, the PL is an output….for connecting the Beolabs.

MM

DT79
                                  BRONZE Member
                                    Thanks. I see there’s only one socket labelled ‘powerlink’, but what’s ‘DPL’? I guess I assumed one of them would be a powerlink input (or equivalent)  intended for connecting up older B&O gear. Or is the idea that if you wanted to combine a Core with other B&O Beosound or Beomaster type things that the Core would be plugged from its Powerlink output into a Powerlink input on one of those?
                                    Just trying to get my head around it all. Is there a guide anywhere to all the terminology and connecting together old B&O, new B&O and 3rd party gear?

Is it possible to plug a non-B&O analogue source into a powerlink input with some kind of adaptor cable?

No, the PL is an output….for connecting the Beolabs. MM

Millemissen
                                    BRONZE Member
                                      • Flensborg————Danmark

The ‘DPL’ port….the mysterious ‘DPL’ port ?
                                      Noone really knows – or has revealed – what they thought of back then.
                                      Most likely it is a port, that should support a digital output ( = no input port!), that could have been used, if they had developed further down that route.
                                      DPL means digital powerlink – which is used on the BL90’s/50’s for the connection between both speakers.

In an update, at some point it was converted into a port for an ir-eye.
                                      This however, is rarely used, since all newer devices (including the Core) uses bluetooth for controlling.

I guess we won’t see any changes there (for the Core as is) – the development of a newer version is rumoured.

MM

DT79
                                      BRONZE Member
                                        Thanks again for your help.  I’m gradually getting my head around all this stuff.
                                        One final question, If I got a Core and something like a Beosound 9000 or a Beomaster 7000 or similar, presumably I could connect the Core to one of those via Powerlink and go Core >Beosound/Beomaster > Transmitter > BL18/BL19. If I were to do that…
                                        a) could I control the whole thing with the B&O app and/or a B&O remote?
                                        b) if I started streaming to the Core would it turn on the Beosound/Beomaster and switch to the right input automatically or would I have to use the B&O app or remote to turn the whole system on and select the right input first?
                                        Just thinking that using a Beosound/Beomaster allows an abundance of inputs (and possibility to add a Beogram CD in case of the Beomaster)

The ‘DPL’ port….the mysterious ‘DPL’ port ? Noone really knows – or has revealed – what they thought of back then. Most likely it is a port, that should support a digital output ( = no input port!), that could have been used, if they had developed further down that route. DPL means digital powerlink – which is used on the BL90’s/50’s for the connection between both speakers. In an update, at some point it was converted into a port for an ir-eye. This however, is rarely used, since all newer devices (including the Core) uses bluetooth for controlling. I guess we won’t see any changes there (for the Core as is) – the development of a newer version is rumoured. MM

Millemissen
                                        BRONZE Member
                                          • Flensborg————Danmark

Two ways to do this…

You either connect the output of the Core (using an adapter cable from the PL) to a spare input on the oldschool 7000/9000.

or

You connect the output of the 7000/9000 (again using an adapter cable from the PL – alternatively from the A.Tape of the 7000) to the input on the Core.

However in any case, you will only be able to control the Core part with the app/Beoremote One……not the 7000/9000!
                                          The 7000/9000 must be controlled with the Beo4.

One advantage of connecting the 7000/9000 to the Core is that the Core has autodetection of the incoming signal = it turns on when the 7000/9000 starts playing.
                                          The other way ‘round the 7000/9000 will have to be turned on manually/Beo4.

The Transmitter must be connected to where the actual sound output would be.

P.S.
                                          B&O has made a (now obsolete) ML/NL Converter for connecting these two device generations.
                                          That would offer additional benefits in terms of controlling everything with the app/Beoremote One.

MM

DT79
                                          BRONZE Member
                                            thank you once again for your extremely helpful and informative replies.

I have a much better understanding of what’s possible now. If I decide to go this route I would definitely want the convenience of controlling everything from a single remote / the app, so I’d try to find the NL/ML converter. Do I need to know anything else about that? What do the letters stand for?

cheers!

Two ways to do this… You either connect the output of the Core (using an adapter cable from the PL) to a spare input on the oldschool 7000/9000. or You connect the output of the 7000/9000 (again using an adapter cable from the PL – alternatively from the A.Tape of the 7000) to the input on the Core. However in any case, you will only be able to control the Core part with the app/Beoremote One……not the 7000/9000! The 7000/9000 must be controlled with the Beo4. One advantage of connecting the 7000/9000 to the Core is that the Core has autodetection of the incoming signal = it turns on when the 7000/9000 starts playing. The other way ‘round the 7000/9000 will have to be turned on manually/Beo4. The Transmitter must be connected to where the actual sound output would be. P.S. B&O has made a (now obsolete) ML/NL Converter for connecting these two device generations. That would offer additional benefits in terms of controlling everything with the app/Beoremote One. MM

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.