Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

XTRA Speaker and MCL Issue

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions XTRA Speaker and MCL Issue

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    ICHooligan
    BRONZE Member
      • Indiana, PA, USA
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 14

Yes, thank you, I am extremely happy as I did not want to have to remove those speakers from the wall as there are most likely holes where it was wired in the late 80s or 90s and they still look too nice not to use.  I agree with you, this system is almost 40 years old and holds up nicely and still looks like something that I just bought today.

I do have one other question. When I reinstalled the new IR eye a month back, they are spliced as I was not able to re-run wire directly through the wall to the MCL2AV in the garage from the IR eye in the bedroom. I used electrical tape to secure the splices in all the wires in the wall behind the IR eye. Is this a problem or fire hazard? Assuming from all our back and forth, there should be 5V going through the green and brown wires, so I wanted to make sure that the way I secured the splices with electrical tape is ok. Otherwise, I will have to go back in the wall and use a heat gun and soldering connections if need be.

trackbeo
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 6
        • Total Posts 247

Low voltage like that is not a fire hazard.

Just make the mechanical connection good and tight.  It’s the lazy person’s way to do it, but mild corrosion — enough to lower the IR signal — won’t occur for 5-10 years at the worst, by which time you will have upgraded something else.  But you know they make tiny wire-nuts for such connections, or if you go high-tech, “Scotch-Lok” gel-filled compression connectors!  The only “usual” rule is don’t bury any connections behind solid wall.  Push them back into a box with a wall plate, or leave them open and running in the cabinet, whatever.

(If the time ever comes that you want to find the connections again and don’t know where you buried them, you use a telephone linesman’s tool called a “TDR” (Time Domain Reflectometer) to tell you how many feet down the wire your break (or in your case, messy splice) has occurred.)

ICHooligan
        BRONZE Member
          • Indiana, PA, USA
          • Topics Started 1
          • Total Posts 14

Great, thank you! I can easily remove the IR Eye, plate and pull the wires out no problem. I appreciate you letting me know, as I don’t want to be worried about it being an issue. At some point in the near future, I will open that up and at least throw some wire nuts on there.

Thanks buddy!

ICHooligan
          BRONZE Member
            • Indiana, PA, USA
            • Topics Started 1
            • Total Posts 14

Ok, so I do have an additional question or two. Same set-up here, MCL2AV in garage, running wires up to XTRA speakers and an IR Eye that is run off the B&O 1000 remote control. I noticed that the sound is a lot lower running off the TV with a bluetooth receiver and the sound only goees up to 78 when controlling the IR eye with the remote and honestly, 78 is not that loud, however, if I was running the main system radio onto these speakers, 78 would probably break the windows. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments as to why it would be lower using it this way or why the speakers will only go up to 78 when controlled with the remote and the bluetooth receiver that is attached in the garage to the MCL2AV through the TV port with a 7 DIN connector that has 35mm jack on the opposite end going into the bluetooth receiver?

ICHooligan
            BRONZE Member
              • Indiana, PA, USA
              • Topics Started 1
              • Total Posts 14

Thank you, I may need a better bluetooth receiver as the one I have is all the way up. I appreciate  your help.

Madskp
              GOLD Member
                • Denmark
                • Topics Started 35
                • Total Posts 797

When you use a computer, phone etc. As an input it is a good idea to set the volume to max. On that device in order to get the strongest line level input signal.
                This could be the issue in your case and explain why you have to turn the volume up on the MCL2AV up.

hope that helps

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions XTRA Speaker and MCL Issue

• You must be logged in to create new topics.