To “turn off” Beolab Penta columns

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab To “turn off” Beolab Penta columns

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Filipe Relveiro
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 3

Dear Beoworlders,
      Recently I bought a pair of Beolab Penta to connect to my Beocenter 9300. I realized that once the columns are connected to the electricity they are always “on”, namely the amplifier.
      Do you find it useful to connect the electricity cable of the columns to a switch, to turn them off, or is it not recommended to do that?
      And by the way, should/can I do that also to the beocenter?…
      Thank you for the help.

YannChris
      GOLD Member
        • Brittany, France
        • Topics Started 28
        • Total Posts 266

Hi,

I woudn’t, both Beocenters and Beolabs are designed to be always connected to mains.

Regards,

Yann.

Filipe Relveiro
          • Topics Started 1
          • Total Posts 3

Thank you for your answer Yann.

Glitch
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 15
            • Total Posts 313

Filipe:  Do your Penta’s switch between standby and “on” (i.e. red to green LED)?

I don’t leave my Beolab Penta’s permanently connected to the mains. While I agree that they were designed to be plugged in all of the time, they are ~40 years old.

I make it a general rule to connect vintage electronics via a switched and fused power strip and keep them totally powered off when not in use. This helps protect the equipment from things like power sags and surges. It helps protect my house from possible equipment failure. At the very least, it reduces the amount of standby power draw.

I don’t think that there is a right or wrong answer here (for properly working equipment). The best answer for anyone will depend on their particular situation.

Glitch

Filipe Relveiro
              • Topics Started 1
              • Total Posts 3

Thank you for your answer Glitch

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.