To retip or not to retip MMC6000

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions Vintage Products To retip or not to retip MMC6000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hunchbacker
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 7
      • Total Posts 24

I recently picked up a steal of a deal on a original owner 4002 TT. ( see “Should I spend $75” in this forum) It only needed a belt and solenoid to get the arm to properly scan and drop. I was blessed with a mmc 6000 in the deal.

However, after purchasing a DIN 5 pin adaptor and connecting to my receiver I started doubting the condition of the stylus. Very scratchy. Tried a different adaptor, then speakers, then a different receiver . No change. I am about 90% convinced the stylus is worn out.

Any advice on replacing or re-tipping this stylus is welcome. The deck is mechanically sound and almost mint.

Placidpete
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 0
        • Total Posts 1

Hi, I have used Franz-Josef Schulte at FJS Tonabnehmer Service GmbH & Co.KG for several cartridge rebuilds with excellent results. Hope this helps.

info@tonabnehmerservice.de

regards

Gordon

Hunchbacker
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 7
          • Total Posts 24

Thank you.

I see his wait time is 1-3 months. Maybe that is normal but being in Wa State, USA I am not sure I have the patience. 🙂 I am also looking into replacing it. Since posting I have contacted Soundsmith here in the states. Awaiting options but still open to opinions from fellow owners.

Hunchbacker
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 7
            • Total Posts 24

Ended up finding a retipped mmc6000 on the bay.  Rebuilt by Joseph Long (Groovetickler), using the original beryllium cantilever, and retipping with a .12mm square nude .2 x .7 mil elliptical diamond.

Thanks to Beoworld member Vintage Hifi Dude.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions Vintage Products To retip or not to retip MMC6000

• You must be logged in to create new topics.