Should I Spend 75$?

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Hunchbacker
      • Topics Started 8
      • Total Posts 27

That’s somewhat of a rhetorical question. Would probably buy this just as a piece of vintage artwork but here is what the description says…

“Outside is pretty beat up and missing some trim but the inside is pristine! Likely for parts at this point, but I’m guessing it wouldn’t take much to fix. I got it from the original owner, I probably have the paperwork and sales brochure for it somewhere. Doesn’t power on, but he kept his things in tip top shape until he got older and couldn’t use them anymore”.

I know little about this deck except that it can be complicated. Insights anyone? He’s asking 75$

BandO4002

Mark-sf
        • Topics Started 0
        • Total Posts 258

Can’t really comment on it without more details. However, for $75 it’s a steal no matter its condition. It will likely need an overhaul but there are plenty of parts such as belts, relays, caps, fuses, etc available.

Hunchbacker
          • Topics Started 8
          • Total Posts 27

Thanks. Will post more when I pick it up.

Hunchbacker
            • Topics Started 8
            • Total Posts 27

Spoke with the seller today, ready to pu. Said he asked around and realized he was charging too little. Said 2-300 was his range now. Too rich for me right now. Luckily picked up a JVC QL-A2 at the GW…but that is for another forum. Hope to be back again someday. Learned a lot here.

ChristianHak
              • Topics Started 5
              • Total Posts 18

Which country is it located in?

Hunchbacker
                • Topics Started 8
                • Total Posts 27

Seattle, Washington,USA

Offerup

chartz
                  • Burgundy
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Total Posts 199

Go ahead. I’d buy it.

Hunchbacker
                    • Topics Started 8
                    • Total Posts 27

Don’t tempt me. I see it re-listed now at $200. :0

Hunchbacker
                      • Topics Started 8
                      • Total Posts 27

UPDATE:

I watched this listing for about 2 weeks after the seller decided he was selling it too low. He finally dropped his price to 130. I offered 120 and he accepted. In his OfferUp description he said it did not power on. Well you will see by the pictures it indeed does! Lights come on, motor spins but nothing happens when I hit start. One of these pictures, I trust, tells a hopeful story.  I have done nothing yet. Refurbed plenty of vintage electronics but as you all know this is a different cat. Open to first steps and ideas from the experts.

Hunchbacker
                        • Topics Started 8
                        • Total Posts 27

Also, this seems to be a one owner table. The seller picked it up from an elderly gentleman who had passed. Included, to my surprise, were original brochures and registration. 1976 from Magnolia HiFi. Pretty much a Northwest icon when it comes to high end electronics.

Tjorven
                          • Sweden
                          • Topics Started 2
                          • Total Posts 12

wow, 75$ for a Beogram 4002, that’s amazing. In northern Europe they go for ten times that amount for a unit in similar condition or worse. In good working condition you have to pay 1000$-1500$ (and it does not even need to include one of the top cartridges).

Just the MMC6000 cartridge (the finest cartridge they ever produced if I’m not wrong) alone is worth 300$-400$ if it’s in OK shape.

Edit: looks to be in great condition. I would, without hesitation, paid 400-500 bucks for that turntable, even if it it came without a cartridge. Congratulations on well spent 120$

Hunchbacker
                            • Topics Started 8
                            • Total Posts 27

Thanks Tjorven.

I could barely contain myself on the drive home. I kept reaching to the back seat and patting the blanket to make sure it was still there.

A couple of things:

I boiled the belt (old school trick) to see if it would shrink enough to give me a few turns. It did not. It is much too big. Guessing this table has not spun for quite a while.

I am going to oil (with 100% synthetic) all the necessary spots while I wait for replacement belts.

Finally, if anyone knows the dimensions on the wood trim that would be helpful. Surprisingly, it came without it.

Tjorven
                              • Sweden
                              • Topics Started 2
                              • Total Posts 12

I’m constantly on the look out for a beogram 4000/4002/4004 on Scandinavian auction sites but no luck so far :). Seem as the prices on these sought-after models have almost quadrupled in the last 4 years.

For the wood frame/trim I would check this blog, he’s fitting a Beogram 4002 plinth to a 4000: https://beolover.blogspot.com/2020/06/beogram-4000-exchanging-plinth-panels.html

This danish shop sell a lot of parts for Beograms, including belts for 4002: https://www.beoparts-shop.com/product/belt-for-carriage-servo-motor-beogram-4000-4002-4004-6000-tangential/

Hunchbacker
                                • Topics Started 8
                                • Total Posts 27

Much appreciated.

I am sure this seller never pulled the platter and saw the dropped belt. My good luck.

Mark-sf
                                  • Topics Started 0
                                  • Total Posts 258

Great find!  Make sure you also order a servo belt.

Hunchbacker
                                    • Topics Started 8
                                    • Total Posts 27

In the works. Thanks

Tjorven
                                      • Sweden
                                      • Topics Started 2
                                      • Total Posts 12

If I managed to find a 4002 that cheap, I would probably consider having a professional turntable technician (experienced with vintage B&O) take a look at it, might be worth spending 400-500 bucks more to get it to run smooth and reliable. I would not dare to mess with a pretty complex linear tracking turntable, would probably destroy it 🙂

Hunchbacker
                                        • Topics Started 8
                                        • Total Posts 27

I am considering just that after I belt it up. Fortunately, in our quaint little town of Gig Harbor, Wa. we have an audio shop that specializes in B&O. What are the odds. :0

chartz
                                          • Burgundy
                                          • Topics Started 3
                                          • Total Posts 199
                                          1. I bought a mint white 4002 12 years ago for € 50. Nobody wanted them back then.

How things change! Today’s prices are becoming ludicrous. What I could afford in the past is unattainable now.

So you got yourself a clear bargain. I just hope you’ll keep it and not sell it. Sometimes I help people (free advice) repair their ‘precious’ hi-fi devices, only to see them later on local ads for a huge asking price. That makes me cross. Anyway, I digress, I’ll stop ranting.

Enjoy your great deck!

I’m happy I started my B&O collection in the late noughties.

Hunchbacker
                                            • Topics Started 8
                                            • Total Posts 27

With out a doubt a keeper! May have to move one of my other 3 tts though. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds