Restoration tBeogram 4000c

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Echolane
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 4

I own a Beogram 4004 I bought new.  I wish I could remember the details but I have a feeling I fell in love the first moment I saw it and decided I had to have it.  That’s the only explanation that makes sense, otherwise I can’t imagine that I would have spent that much money!   I stopped using it routinely when the CD became popular and then the belts developed a problem and I’d have to take it in to repair to get a new belt.  So it has sat idle in my audio system for more than a decade now.  It still looks showroom perfect.

I have just heard about the restoration program done in Denmark which turns out like new 4000 series Beograms and sells them at an astonishing $11,000. I’m told I can have mine sent to Denmark and enjoy the same restoration for only <gasp> $6500.

What is still unclear to me  is exactly what is done.  I know that a Preamp is installed to convert DIN to RCA and streaming capability is added.  I’m negative about both of those additions, particularly the streaming.  I’m more interested in what is done to the original Beogram internals.  I know they are restored to an “as new” condition but is anything improved?  The Beogram 4000 series turntables were always praised for great looks and criticized for below average audio.  Are there upgrades to audio too?

chartz
        • Burgundy
        • Topics Started 3
        • Total Posts 199

Just enjoy your deck as it is. Keep your money!

matador
          • Paris France
          • Topics Started 48
          • Total Posts 689

To my knowledge there is no actual “Update” in components. I mean is your purpose is to use your deck as you used it when new, the changes are more “service” than “upgrade”: replacement of ageing components, belts, pulley I think and the plinth (of no use for you as yours looks good) and the lid. All this can be done by yourself if you’re a little handy and with the help of this forum and other internet help that is plenty.

B&O also change the wires and add an RIAA preamp. It does not add streaming capabilty by itself, it just provide a line level output that allows the deck to be connected to line-in/aux-in of beosound devices like Balance or Core that will then allow distribution via Network Link.

In a nutshell, all mechanics and electronics are more or less easily serviceable. To me, not really worth the amount B&O ask for (but it is the price of tranquility for B&O client that can afford it).

What remains is and always will be, the cartridge. The starting point.

Echolane
            • Topics Started 1
            • Total Posts 4

Thank you Matador for your insightful comments.  Particularly important for me to learn is  that there are no audio improving upgrades that would appeal to the audiophile crowd of which I am a somewhat gullible pretender I suppose.

I’ve been exploring my options and I can do as little as adding a new belt and hoping that is all it needs.  I wish I was up for a DIY project but I’m an 83 year old female and it just isn’t my cup of tea anymore.  Instead I could send  it to a B&O repair facility for a little maintenance.   Though I don’t know who they might use.  The former factory service business in my area they used to use has closed its doors. Like too many others, sad to say.   But my 4004 is  around 40 years old and it can’t possibly be at its best so I am really tempted to send  it to Beo Lover for an overhaul.  I have a Rega RP40 anniversary edition that probably sounds better, but I really miss the pleasure of using the 4004.

Echolane
              • Topics Started 1
              • Total Posts 4

Just enjoy your deck as it is. Keep your money!

Good advice, thanks.   Though I have a feeling I’m going to spend some money on my old friend.  I know it needs a new belt.  I’ve got a new belt on the way and will finally get to figure out how to do this task myself.  I’ve always paid someone to do this and that makes no sense anymore.  If it still works with its new belt   and sounds good I may stop there, but I doubt it.  It is over 40 years old and definitely needs some TLC.    As I replied to Matador I am very tempted to send it to BeoLover for a complete overhaul.  Time will tell.

matador
                • Paris France
                • Topics Started 48
                • Total Posts 689

Maybe you should start by the start: Put a record on your table and see what happen.

If the platter spins and the arm lowers where it should, you’re not that bad.

Then check for sound and if it sounds, check for speed consistency.

From there you’ll be able to gauge how much service you deck needs.

Maybe it can make you happy with just a new belt and a new cartridge.

I’ve two of them and both just needed no more than a little care. Eventually they will need more to spin for 20 years more but for now they work well.

In all case, your deck will be in good hands on Beolover workbench.

Echolane
                  • Topics Started 1
                  • Total Posts 4

Maybe you should start by the start: Put a record on your table and see what happen. If the platter spins and the arm lowers where it should, you’re not that bad. Then check for sound and if it sounds, check for speed consistency. From there you’ll be able to gauge how much service you deck needs. Maybe it can make you happy with just a new belt and a new cartridge. I’ve two of them and both just needed no more than a little care. Eventually they will need more to spin for 20 years more but for now they work well. In all case, your deck will be in good hands on Beolover workbench.

That is the plan. As soon as the belt arrives I will install it and soon after see what happens when I put a recording on.  I already know which record I will play, Beverly Sills Bellini and Donizetti Heroines.  There is something extra special about that recording, and I should easily be able to tell how the 4004 sounds.

matador
                    • Paris France
                    • Topics Started 48
                    • Total Posts 689

I dont know Beverly Sills Bellini and Donizetti Heroines but I would start with a record of no value, You don’t know what could happen and before checking the sound you want to be sure the mechanics works correctly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds