removing control panel on beocord 8000

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kingside
    BRONZE Member

Hi all,

In 1981 I purchased a complete Beomaster 8000, Beocord 8000 and Beogram 8000.

I am investigating why my Beocord 8000 remains in standby.

I wish to remove the glass cover and the control panel

I have removed the glass cover successfully.

But the control panel is secured by three clips, behind the wooden border of the unit, that according to the service manual need to be pressed to release the control panel.  My problem is I don’t understand the graphic in the service manual.

I have the unit on it’s back, with the front edge of the unit perpendicular to the floor.  The three access points for the clips are clearly visible and I can make out the shape of the chips.

But how do you release the clips, and once released does the control panel lift up?

Do the clips have to be pressed simultaneously?

The diagram in the service manual is not at all helpful.

If anyone has removed the control panel I would appreciate knowing precisely how you were able to do so and what tools you used.

Many thanks,

Glitch
      BRONZE Member

If anyone has removed the control panel I would appreciate knowing precisely how you were able to do so and what tools you used.

Yep, the description in the service manual could be improved.

What I do is loosen the two screws on the back and put the upper panel into the service position (i.e. open it like a clam shell). This will give you access to the three clips for the control cover. Using a medium size straight slot screwdriver, move the outermost clip just enough to release it while pulling the aluminum cover forward. Don’t deflect the clip any further than you need to because it WILL break if you bend it too far. After the lip of the outer clip is released, do the same for the middle clip. Repeat for the last clip. The first clip will be the most difficult to get free.

Glitch

kingside
        BRONZE Member

Thanks for the prompt reply.  The panel I want to remove is the control panel with all the buttons below the glass display panel that shows the direction of the tape, levels and so forth.

I don’t think the control panel with the buttons, 0-9, memo, stand by etc, is made of aluminum. Maybe it is but if it is its black.

Is your response intended for the panel I am describing?  I have attached a photo of the circuit board I need to get to that is covered by the control panel. The photo is of a Beocord 9000 but the area of the unit is what I am trying to convey.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by kingside.
          Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Glitch
          BRONZE Member

That panel is easier. With the top in normal (non-service) position, I’ll position the Beocord on the edge on a table with the front edge of the Beocord overhanging. There are three rectangular holes in the bottom to get access to the clips. I start with the rightmost one. First put the screwdriver between the clip and the front of the deck. The first time you do this you’ll probably need to visually locate the clip.  Put upwards pressure on the right edge of the switch panel and twist the screwdriver just enough to release the clip. Once the the first clip is released, repeat for the middle and left clips, all while lifting up on the switch panel. After the front is free, lift it just enough the clear the front clips, then pull forward.

After you’ve done this a few times, it can be done strictly by feel in about 10 seconds ;-).

Glitch

kingside
            BRONZE Member

thank you so much…I was using the screwdriver tip to press the clip towards the floor, with the whole unit on its back, i.e. with the edge you are talking about pointing straight up.  In that position when I insert the flat blade screwdriver into the slot, and press towards the floor, I am not pulling up on the switch panel , but pushing down towards the glass panel thinking that was the way to unlock.

You are saying however that the clip is preventing an upward motion and that is what needs to be released while applying a gentile upward pressure.

You have given me enough to go on.

Thanks and  regards,

Jay

Glitch
              BRONZE Member

You are saying however that the clip is preventing an upward motion and that is what needs to be released while applying a gentile upward pressure

Yes. The clip is part of (or attached to) the button panel. It will move up with the panel when it is released.

Glitch

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.