Questions about CD3300

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dr0s
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 2

Hello all,

In return for some help with his home system, a neighbor just gave me an old Beosystem 3300 (excluding the turntable, but including two CD3300 players) that a previous homeowner had abandoned and had been sitting unused since 2019 at least. The receiver seems to work perfectly. I haven’t tested the tape player yet. After some cleaning I have both CD players mainly working except for the following things:

(1) The lid-opening drive in Player I closes very abruptly when I put in a new CD; it slams so hard that it bounces a bit. This isn’t normal, is it? Assuming not, what should I be looking at w/r to adjustment? I can’t find anything in the service manual.

(2) The lid-opening gear on Player II has stripped teeth. Once I get a replacement, are there any teardowns anywhere where I can see how to replace it? It isn’t obvious to me from either inspecting it or from the manual.

(3) Both players seem a little picky on playback. For example, I have a 2 CD set where Disk 2 plays fine on both players, Disk 1 throws an error on both players (but plays fine in our newer, front-load player). Looking through the window it seems to be a bit wobbly when it spins, but I would think that if the disk was defective it wouldn’t play on our other payers. Any advice on what to look for?

One more (unrelated) question. I would like to add an aux input of some sort to the system. I assume I can do this with a DIN plug into the tape or CD input, but of course would prefer to do it in the unused turntable input. However, I believe this receiver has a phono preamp built in. Is there any way to switch that off so that the phono input can accept a line-level source?  Or maybe there’s some other doodad someone has made for these systems that handle it some other way?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Motorman
        • Topics Started 0
        • Total Posts 17

Regarding your question with the phono input.

This is possible but not easy.

I have converted the phono input on a Beomaster 1900.

To do this, I rebuilt the preamplifier circuit from the tape input on a small PCB and instead of the RIAA preamplifier circuit between the socket and source switch installed.

Better said I have installed a 3.5mm stereo jack socket to the front and thus realized for my son a phone instead of a phono input.

This should be possible with a Beomaster 3300 too.

dr0s
          • Topics Started 1
          • Total Posts 2

Thanks for the response.   Building a whole alternate preamp seems like overkill for this task.  I guess I’ll just make an external switcher to get an aux input.

Still curious about the other questions, especially the inability to read the one CD.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds