Penta unusual loud noises. Like loud Scratching

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab Penta unusual loud noises. Like loud Scratching

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nigel_surtees
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 2

Hi All
      I am new to this forum. I have a beocenter 9500 with Penta mk3 active speakers. I have had the system for about 5 years with no problems. About 6 months ago one speaker starting making very loud noises. they are hard to describe so I made a recording and attached it to this thread. Its like static scratching and very loud.

I have replaced all the electrolytic capacitors using a kit bought online. Its made no difference. During the overhaul I replaced the trimmers and set the dc offset which is now practically 0v.
      Could it be the big power capacitors?  I didn’t replace these as they were not in the kit.

Any ideas very welcome.

Thanks

Epic B and O
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 2
        • Total Posts 10

Hey mate,

I have the same problem. It’s  corrosion on the input level switch.

I had a complete overhaul of my Penta’s, but unfortunately they missed the switch. So at the moment I’m living with it by switching the problem speaker to another input level.

I have the Beocenter 9500 also since the 90s. Absolutely love it.

I’ve attached photos of the problem switch.

if you find a fix please let me know.

hope this helps.

nigel_surtees
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 1
          • Total Posts 2

Ah really! Thanks for that, I would never have thought of looking at that switch. I’ll have a play and see what I can do with it and let you know if I get anywhere.

Thanks again

Homersaurus
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 0
            • Total Posts 9

Would contact switch cleaner sprayed into the switches (when the control board is out of the Penta) be sufficient without resorting to physically dismantling the switches ?  I’d be interested to know the level of corrosion in the dismantled switches.

Homersaurus
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 0
              • Total Posts 9

An interesting cause of the fault though, which is very useful to know.  Switch cleaner/lubricant use as preventative maintenance might well be worth doing on the (pair of) Penta control board(s).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.