Old timers Beovox 3800.Mid range drivers.

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Old timers Beovox 3800.Mid range drivers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    john jones
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 2

Hi guy’s,I’m brand new to site.I’m a retired TV engineer/audio engineer.I’ve taken to collecting amplifiers,speakers from the 70’s when I was an apprentice.I have juast aquired a very nice B&O
      3000/11 tuner amp in working order but will get a revamp this winter.My latest toy a pair of Rosewood Beovox 3800 speakers,which I understand were UK only market something to do with tax back in the 70s.They use a Philips tweeter,Goodmans mid & large bass woofer.Sadly my mids are toast one reads about one ohm & no sound,the other 5.5 ohm,working but off center or loose speech coil distorts on certain sounds.Across the chassis they measure around 3.5″.Can anyone recommend a replacement driver for my gran old ladies?Many thanks John.

Peter
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 0
        • Total Posts 2

Always tricky looking for a good match – would probably try getting fixed (? Wilmslow) or find the same driver second hand – v difficult! I have a pair of S45.2 on stands which you could certainly have on long term loan whilst waiting for either repair or replacement. I live in North of England.

Not used in a while and under a bed but will look and make sure they are working – in Greece for 2 weeks but if interested let me know. The 3ooo is a good receiver – I have had most in my time but gave my collection away some time ago – still have a 4401 which a friend gave me. Older B&O was my passion for a while – the newer kit less so.

Best Wishes

Peter

Dillen
          • Topics Started 3
          • Total Posts 621

Welcome back, Peter!

Martin

john jones
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 1
            • Total Posts 2

Hi Peter,thank you for your kind offer,I managed to buy two good secondhand mids last week fom a B&O service engineer.Installed & now working well.I was really lucky to find a pair of very old speakers with such good grills,wood cabinets,lovely condition.They sound very good tbh & for £99 plus the two drivers a bargin.I have a small collection of Armstrong,Leak,Nytec,Naim & now B&O.I tend to buy some bits during spring/summer then go through them during the winter months,recapping,whatever they need.This year will be the B&O 3000/2 & my Quad 33/303 set.

Thanks for your response,John.

ajames
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 11
              • Total Posts 47

So nice to see Peter back on this forum – I’ve not been on here for a while either as I’ve not really had a chance to play with my B&O stuff.

John – interested to hear how you get on with the 33/303 as I have the same hooked into BV M100-2 and they sound awesome but I move between them a BM2200 and a Beolink Passive (hooked into my main system)

chartz
              GOLD Member
                • Burgundy
                • Topics Started 3
                • Total Posts 232

Hi,

Glad to have you back Peter! ☺️

I use the 33/303 a lot myself and enjoy them tremendously. They are ok with B&O period speakers but the really shine with ESL57s and records.

I’d rate them as being as good as the mighty Beolab 5000.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.