New feature: B&O Radio can now be used by ASE products

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions New feature: B&O Radio can now be used by ASE products

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Hiort
      • Topics Started 21
      • Total Posts 123

With App version 4.1.0 you get the option to change from TuneIn Radio to B&O Radio on “ASA products”, i.e “Non mozart”.

If you have switched to B&O Radio, you must do a “long press” on your device to join what currently is playing on other speaker.

Does anyone now if e.g bitrate is better on B&O Radio compared to TuneIn?

Millemissen
      BRONZE Member
        • Flensborg/Danmark
        • Topics Started 27
        • Total Posts 806

Thanks!

However, that needs a bit more information.

I am running the beta 4.0.1 and trying to update the app redirects me to the Testflight app saying that I have the latest app version.

Trying to play stations from the B&O Radio part results in a ‘not supported on this (means an ASE) product’ message.

Where/when and how did you get the 4.1.0 version – respectively where did you find the information on this?

And further….how do you create a radio station list that you – afterwards – can access via the Beoremote?

Edit!
        On another device I have the regular app version – that is 4.1.xxxx (got updated a week ago).
        No sign of support for B&O Radio there either, when I try to play to my Essences and M3’s.

MM

YannChris
          • Brittany, France
          • Topics Started 38
          • Total Posts 190

Hi MM,

Same for me.

Regards,

Yann.

trackbeo
            • Topics Started 8
            • Total Posts 205

What app version 4.1.0 will attempt versus what the product will actually play are different:  an “Action not supported by the selected product” message pops up when I try to play B&O Radio stations, but TuneIn stations play OK (even without logging in), on ASE2 Beosound 1 2nd-gen non-GVA, both old and latest firmware.

Gaea
              • Netherlands
              • Topics Started 9
              • Total Posts 46

I saw in the release notes that it would play Beoradio on bluetooth products.

But I did not got it working.

Hiort
                • Topics Started 21
                • Total Posts 123

Deleted

Hiort
                  • Topics Started 21
                  • Total Posts 123

Deleted

Hiort
                    • Topics Started 21
                    • Total Posts 123

Thanks!

However, that needs a bit more information.

I am running the beta 4.0.1 and trying to update the app redirects me to the Testflight app saying that I have the latest app version.

Trying to play stations from the B&O Radio part results in a ‘not supported on this (means an ASE) product’ message.

Where/when and how did you get the 4.1.0 version – respectively where did you find the information on this?

And further….how do you create a radio station list that you – afterwards – can access via the Beoremote?

Edit!
                    On another device I have the regular app version – that is 4.1.xxxx (got updated a week ago).
                    No sign of support for B&O Radio there either, when I try to play to my Essences and M3’s.

MM

Im on the regular app right now, not the beta.

Tap the “radio” button in the lower end of the screen.

Tap the cogwheel up to the right.

Tap “Webbradio”. You should then have the option to choose radio service.

Note: Alarm with radio will not work with B&O radio selected. It will just give you a “Beep”.

Stan
                      • Topics Started 18
                      • Total Posts 137

All true.  However (as reported above), when one selects a station, the app reports “Action not supported by the selected product”.

I can “multi-room” the beo radio station from a Mozart device to a non-Mozart device, but that’s (obviously) not quite the same as playing it directly.

Stan
                        • Topics Started 18
                        • Total Posts 137

Although speaking of new features, you can now play Deezer “flow” directly from the beo app to a Mozart device (without the Deezer app).  Unfortunately, the “flow” button doesn’t appear for non-Mozart devices.  Screenshot_20220723-133502_Bang & OlufsenNot sure when this showed up (as I just got my first Mozart device), but this was something I always wanted.

Millemissen
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Flensborg/Danmark
                          • Topics Started 27
                          • Total Posts 806

Not sure how Hiort got this/B&O Radio working!

Today I received an answer from the support team ( 👍).

I got this explanation:

Det er korrekt at version 4.1.0 giver support i B&O appen for B&O radio på ASE produkter, dog kræver det også en opdatering af selve produktet, hvilket vil komme efter sommerferien.

Which means, that the app is ahead of the SW of the ASE products.

The product update will come after the summer vacations.

P.S.

They also mentioned that the regular app SE is ahead of the beta, because the had had to prioritize the regular one.

MM

Hiort
                            • Topics Started 21
                            • Total Posts 123

Not sure how Hiort got this/B&O Radio working! Today I received an answer from the support team ( 👍). I got this explanation: ‘Det er korrekt at version 4.1.0 giver support i B&O appen for B&O radio på ASE produkter, dog kræver det også en opdatering af selve produktet, hvilket vil komme efter sommerferien.’ Which means, that the app is ahead of the SW of the ASE products. The product update will come after the summer vacations. P.S. They also mentioned that the regular app SE is ahead of the beta, because the had had to prioritize the regular one. MM

Yeah, that makes sense.
                            Im probably ahead when it comes to firmware since I participated in the beta program for the devices.

Millemissen
                            BRONZE Member
                              • Flensborg/Danmark
                              • Topics Started 27
                              • Total Posts 806

Ok – that explains it!

Would be nice if you could post a couple of pictures to show how it looks when you choose B&O Radio etc.
                              How do you make favourites – can you access these with a Beoremote One (do they show up there)…that is, if you use a BROne with your ASE products?

MM

Hiort
                                • Topics Started 21
                                • Total Posts 123

After selecting the cog-wheel in the “radio screen”, it look like this:

IMG_1933

When selecting Webbradio you come to this screen:

IMG_1934

A few errors in my mind:

• Page is suddenly in english
                                • The ordinary user will not know what an ASE product is
                                • The sentence under “Bang & Olufsen Radio” is incomplete.
                                • I find no way to change the order of B&O radio channels you choose that after selection appear under “My stations”.

I have no BROne BT remote so I cannot say how it works.

Millemissen
                                BRONZE Member
                                  • Flensborg/Danmark
                                  • Topics Started 27
                                  • Total Posts 806

Thanks!

Obviously a work in progress.

We’ll see sometime in the fall……when they have sorted things out.

MM

Hiort
                                    • Topics Started 21
                                    • Total Posts 123

Anyone knows if B&O radio provide higher bitrate than Tunein?

Stan
                                      • Topics Started 18
                                      • Total Posts 137

I would be surprised if B&O radio provides a higher bit rate than TuneIn since, it is my understanding, that neither service is actually providing the bit-stream, but rather more or less providing a catalog to find and connect to the bit-stream.  The audio provider is the one actually broadcasting the bit-stream.  I recall in the early days of streaming radio, some stations had higher and lower bitrate offerings – mostly for those folks who still had slow internet – but in today’s world of broadband everywhere, I would think most broadcasters probably don’t do that any longer.

I was going to test this, but then decided it would be too difficult since B&O radio capable devices can’t do TuneIn and vice-versa.  Yeah, I could use bluetooth or Chromecast, but that’s adding another variable or two to the audio chain.

Hiort
                                        • Topics Started 21
                                        • Total Posts 123

I would be surprised if B&O radio provides a higher bit rate than TuneIn since, it is my understanding, that neither service is actually providing the bit-stream, but rather more or less providing a catalog to find and connect to the bit-stream. The audio provider is the one actually broadcasting the bit-stream. I recall in the early days of streaming radio, some stations had higher and lower bitrate offerings – mostly for those folks who still had slow internet – but in today’s world of broadband everywhere, I would think most broadcasters probably don’t do that any longer.

I was going to test this, but then decided it would be too difficult since B&O radio capable devices can’t do TuneIn and vice-versa. Yeah, I could use bluetooth or Chromecast, but that’s adding another variable or two to the audio chain.

That makes sense. I was not aware of how the bitstream was served to the device.

Gaea
                                          • Netherlands
                                          • Topics Started 9
                                          • Total Posts 46

I think it indeed depends on what format each radiostation is broadcasting in.

For example the radiostation Soulradio has the following broadcast url’s;

http://listen.soulradio.com/soulradio.pls
                                          http://listen.soulradio.com/SOULRADIO.mp3
                                          http://listen.soulradio.com/soulradio-aac.pls
                                          http://listen.soulradio.com/SOULRADIOAAC.aac

We don’t know wich url B&O radio and Tunein are using to put through

But one could assume that B&O uses a higher quality stream if it it availlable.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds