Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Need to buy MMC4 cartridge

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Need to buy MMC4 cartridge

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    987nick
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 6
      • Total Posts 17

I can see find a number of suppliers who sell new cartridges; 3 in the UK and Soundsmith in the US.

I’ve read good stuff about Soundsmith, but their cartridges are quite expensive when delivered to my door in the UK, about £300 (this price includes shipping and VAT, but there may also be duty and UPS brokerage fees to get it to my front door in the UK).  There is then the question about any warranty support and having to send it back to the USA.

The UK sellers are about £270, but I’ve not seen many reviews about their cartridges.  Anybody here bought from the UK and if so,  were you happy with your purchase.

auric
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 14
        • Total Posts 83

Your other option is to have a MMC4 rebuilt:

In the US:
        https://aminaaudio.com/cartridge

Here is a video of someone who tried the service:

You can also get it fixed in Germany:
        https://www.tonabnehmerservice.de/en/About-us-oxid/

bkslash
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 5
          • Total Posts 25

SoundSmith cartridges are really good – I have one SMMC4 myself, working great with Beogram 3000.

Best regards

Adam

Gaea
          GOLD Member
            • Netherlands
            • Topics Started 6
            • Total Posts 52

The German service is a good adress for retipping.

If you buy a secondhand cartridge, you’ll accept that they mostly need a retip.

I’m afraid that a cheap cartridge does not excist…

987nick
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 6
              • Total Posts 17

Thanks for the input.  I don’t have the old cartridge; must have thrown it away about 20 years ago when I knocked the tip off.

My plan is to buy a new one from the UK, but before I did that I wanted to see if there was any downside to this.

Mark
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 5
                • Total Posts 134

If they are not selling rebuilt B&O cartridges then they would almost have to be a UK distributer for Soundsmith.  Soundsmith is licensed and authorized by B&O to make replacement cartridges, and they claim to be the only entity to do so. Peter Ledermann had to reverse engineer existing cartridges in order to make new ones.  If these UK dealers are selling a cartridge made by someone else I would be very leery in buying one.  Don’t be afraid to ask, but I’m sure it’s Soundsmith.

987nick
                BRONZE Member
                  • Topics Started 6
                  • Total Posts 17

Good idea.  Being a lifelong cynic, I think I’d have asked that but it’s good to hear I’m not alone in that thinking.

Mark
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 5
                    • Total Posts 134

Are the UK sellers selling the Soundsmith cartridges or rebuilt MMC cartridges?  I don’t think there are any other options.  Either way it would probably be a safe purchase.

auric
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Topics Started 14
                      • Total Posts 83

You can hear Peter Ledermann talk about B&O cartridges here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F65mODzn4Gk

B&O portion starts at 20 min mark.

Here is a tour of his factory:

987nick
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 6
                        • Total Posts 17

I called one of the UK sellers and they said their cartridges all new non B&O.  They used to to do refurbs, but the “man” who did them is no longer available.

I didn’t have the cheek to ask where they sourced them from.  But, before I buy one I will ask if they’re importing Soundsmith ones.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Need to buy MMC4 cartridge

• You must be logged in to create new topics.