missing BG4000

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    hcraig244
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 9
      • Total Posts 154

Well…..here we go, first post is another episode in the continuing saga of the missing Beogram and its errant power supply….the doner machine turned upP1016717 (Copy)

hcraig244
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 9
        • Total Posts 154

The replacement toroidal is a good fit dimensionally…..will fit above the fusebox nicely…P1016719 (Copy)

hcraig244
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 9
          • Total Posts 154

230vac power cable and improvised fusebox connected up…..P1016723 (Copy)

hcraig244
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 9
            • Total Posts 154

This is the data sheet for the transformer….yellow and black connected together to provide the 24v supply across orange and red to the 24vdc rectifier, connecting red and black (12v) to the 6vdc rectifier…..sounds straightforward enough 818By9byH9L._SL1500_

hcraig244
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 9
              • Total Posts 154

just getting my head around the order of things here….I will try harder

hcraig244
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 9
                • Total Posts 154

This is the data sheet for the voltage regulator…Untitled

chartz
                  • Burgundy
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Total Posts 199

Very nice and tidy Craig.

hcraig244
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 9
                    • Total Posts 154

timestamp is a bit of a challenge here……my replies are all jumbled up, however wired up the transformer and powered up….slowly with the variac and watched the output of the 6vdc regulator it came up nicely…..and as i wound up the variac the output started to fall back to 0vdc….like a capacitor charging up?

hcraig244
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Topics Started 9
                      • Total Posts 154

This is how it looks, I have the regulator connected on leads to allow measurments to be taken easilyP1016726 (Copy)

hcraig244
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 9
                        • Total Posts 154

This is the regulator 6vdc output under operating loadP1016727 (Copy)

hcraig244
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Topics Started 9
                          • Total Posts 154

However the 6vdc fell off when the regulator went into high temp cut off……it was getting very hot!….few measurements revealed that I am getting 24v at the input to the voltage regulator instead of the 12v i was expecting, the output from the transformer is 12v to the 6v rectifier…..

hcraig244
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Topics Started 9
                            • Total Posts 154

This is how the new power supply is tied in…supply

hcraig244
                            BRONZE Member
                              • Topics Started 9
                              • Total Posts 154

Ok…..cleaned the drawing up to include the actual transformer wiring details and took some measurements…..these are all with the turntable running and under normal load conditions…everything works fine though the voltage regulator gets hot…put a heat sink on it which helps quite a bit.supply3

hcraig244
                              BRONZE Member
                                • Topics Started 9
                                • Total Posts 154

This looks like an issue with the centre tapped transformer, I have read on the internet that a common neutral on the DC outputs of dual supplies of different voltages fed from centre tapped transformers are not allowed, this may be my problem.

When I disconnect the 24vac supply from the transformer to the 24vdc rectifier I get the expected 12vdc from the output of the 12vdc rectifier, so I know the 12vdc rectifier is working fine..I have no problems with the 24vdc side which is working fine, as this is the required higher supply im not surprised.  I cant see anything untoward except the common neutral to both rectifiers……..any advice regarding this would be welcome, as always ;¬)

hcraig244
                                BRONZE Member
                                  • Topics Started 9
                                  • Total Posts 154

moving on…..got the dual outputs from the centre tapped transformer sorted out, after a good deal of head scratching….and glasses of wine! I removed the 6vdc bridge rectifier and reinstalled the smoothing capacitor, output from the centre tap connection of the transformer to the input of the new regulator and now get a decent full wave rectification.

cant seem to get a jpeg loaded……..maybe later

hcraig244
                                  BRONZE Member
                                    • Topics Started 9
                                    • Total Posts 154

this is the input to the new voltage regulator from the centre tap of the the transformer, much improved though still a little high, this measurement was taken under load, this was previously sitting at 24v

P1016745 (Copy)

hcraig244
                                    BRONZE Member
                                      • Topics Started 9
                                      • Total Posts 154

This is the current wiring detail I have implemented……..revised supply

hcraig244
                                      BRONZE Member
                                        • Topics Started 9
                                        • Total Posts 154

Tried a 22 ohm resistor in line with the regulator and this dropped the input voltage to a little over 10vdc…the heat dissipated by the regulator has dropped and the resistor is doing some of the work….P1016748 (Copy)

hcraig244
                                        BRONZE Member
                                          • Topics Started 9
                                          • Total Posts 154

As I’m now down to 1 bridge rectifier I thought it would be wise to check a few things out before I do a lengthy test run:

Output from the new 6vdc regulator = 160ma under operating load

Output from the existing 24vdc regulator (0tr1) = 440ma under operating load

The transformer arms are good for 1.25A so I think we’re good to go, the bridge rectifier is rated at 3.7A. I will monitor the temperatures of all components, TR1 particularly though the data sheet says its good for 80w (seems high to me).

Also I have ordered a 33 ohm 3w resistor to see if I can drop all the heat over it instead of the regulator, I can then fasten the resistor to the chassis for cooling……

hcraig244
                                          BRONZE Member
                                            • Topics Started 9
                                            • Total Posts 154

Resistor received, however I ordered a 3w component and received a 25w instead……bit overkill but quite adequate….P1016757

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds