MCL2AV datalink CD and TAPE connections

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLink MCL2AV datalink CD and TAPE connections

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    B3OHACK3R
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 4
      • Total Posts 148

So my question to the datalink bits and bytes experts of this forum is if the handshake between a Master unit and a datalink  Beocord/Beogram require a microchip with some software, or if it could be solved by a more simple electronic circiut?

Yes, it requires some kind of software and a microcontroller to “fake” that connection.
      The datalink protocol between BeoGram and a master is much simpler than the “Audio Aux Link” datalink but in any case you are not getting away with it without faking a digital message on the data pin.

Madskp
      GOLD Member
        • Denmark
        • Topics Started 35
        • Total Posts 837

So my question to the datalink bits and bytes experts of this forum is if the handshake between a Master unit and a datalink Beocord/Beogram require a microchip with some software, or if it could be solved by a more simple electronic circiut?

Yes, it requires some kind of software and a microcontroller to “fake” that connection. The datalink protocol between BeoGram and a master is much simpler than the “Audio Aux Link” datalink but in any case you are not getting away with it without faking a digital message on the data pin.

Thanks for the answer. Was really hoping for a simple identifier like a certain resistor value or something.
        But of course for the intended purpose of the product from B&O’s side this should not be an issue

Thanks again for clarifying

Madskp
        GOLD Member
          • Denmark
          • Topics Started 35
          • Total Posts 837

The MCL2AV box https://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=978 is a very versatile piece of kit. Besides working as a Link room with local sources it can also function stand alone like a “light” Beomaster. An example of  a use case from the System manual 89-90 is shown below.

Skærmbillede 2023-12-16 kl. 12.16.19

However if the local sources are not datalink equipped Beocord or Beogram/CD the MCL2AV will revert the PHONO, CD and TAPE commands to the MCL connection and try to play these source from the main room instead. The local ports can still be operated, but with a longer command like SHIFT, RADIO, 6 for tape and SHIFT, RADIO, 7 for CD.

In practice what happens when TAPE is pressed is that the local TAPE  connection is activated for 5-10 seconds, and then it reverts to the MCL connection. My best guess is that it needs some kind of handshake with a datalink equipped unit to keep the TAPE command to the local connection.

What I would like to know is if it was possible by simple means to fake a datalink connection on the local connections so the simple TAPE and CD commands can be used.

So my question to the datalink bits and bytes experts of this forum is if the handshake between a Master unit and a datalink  Beocord/Beogram require a microchip with some software, or if it could be solved by a more simple electronic circiut?

Hope this makes sense and that someone can answer it

Thanks in advance

B3OHACK3R
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 4
            • Total Posts 148

Yes, it’s really just digital. As far as I know no master or slave device does any kind of analog readings on the data pin.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLink MCL2AV datalink CD and TAPE connections

• You must be logged in to create new topics.