MCL Xtra speakers independant volume

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    pepps
      • Kent, UK
      • Topics Started 26
      • Total Posts 127

Hello BWers,

Thought I’d share a note on my MCL setup from the weekend. I have extended my living room 3500 system to the kitchen via MCL cable from speakers 2 on the BM.
      This runs to the usual Xtra speakers relay unit and is operated by the usual transceiver in the second zone which is the kitchen. Music plays, full remote control, all is good.

However, in the main room I found that I have fully independant volume control.
      I hadn’t thought it through completely: my main set-up uses a BV7 as the main audio/visual source. This is connected to the Beosystem 3500 via a ML/MCL converter.
      So if I start playing a record in the living room – through my Pentas – then I go downstairs to the kitchen and unmute that room, I can adjust the kitchen volume without any interference with what’s happening in the living room – and vice versa.

Nothing earth shattering here. But it was an unforseen bonus of extending music into the kitchen.

Madskp
        • Denmark
        • Topics Started 55
        • Total Posts 611

Sounds like a great setup. However if you are going to make more MCL zones you will not have individual volume control between those, unless you go the MCL2AV way.

just to be sure is it the ML/MCL converter you use in the setup, or is it the 1611 Beolink converter that plugs into the Aux connector on the BM3500? As I understand the ML/MCL converter is only used when the audiomaster is not MCL capable (no passive speaker plugs).

pepps
          • Kent, UK
          • Topics Started 26
          • Total Posts 127

It is indeed a 1611 Beolink converter connected to the Aux socket on the BM3500.

I do plan to extend further into the cellar with another relay box and transceiver. Should be unlikely that someone will be playing music in the kitchen at the same time. I do have an MCL2AV and a spare MCL2P so I’ll probably experiment when the cellar developments are underway.

Madskp
            • Denmark
            • Topics Started 55
            • Total Posts 611

It is indeed a 1611 Beolink converter connected to the Aux socket on the BM3500.

Thought so, just wanted to know if I was missing something.

I do plan to extend further into the cellar with another relay box and transceiver. Should be unlikely that someone will be playing music in the kitchen at the same time. I do have an MCL2AV and a spare MCL2P so I’ll probably experiment when the cellar developments are underway.

The McL2AV also has the benefit of extra local inputs so you actually can have an alternative source playing there while playing something else on the main system.

Millemissen
            BRONZE Member
              • Flensborg/Danmark
              • Topics Started 27
              • Total Posts 806

@pepps

I suppose that you have the Pentas connected to the BV…..and not/nothing to the 3500.

Am I right?

MM

pepps
                • Kent, UK
                • Topics Started 26
                • Total Posts 127

@pepps
                I suppose that you have the Pentas connected to the BV…..and not/nothing to the 3500.

Am I right?
                MM

Hi MM,

Yes the Pentas, a BL7.4 and a MCL2P are connected to the BV. (The MCL2P enables 2 Beovox 3000 flat panel speakers as the surrounds (a perfect match for the Penta’s IMO).) In the rear of the BM3500 I have the audio aux connected to a Beolink converter and the MCL plugs connected to speakers 2 left and right.

Julian

Millemissen
                BRONZE Member
                  • Flensborg/Danmark
                  • Topics Started 27
                  • Total Posts 806

That is a classical setup – I had it similar for many years.

The setup behaves as intended – you have two seperat amps/volume controls.
                  One in the BV and another in the 3500 to feed the linkroom….and therefore two independent volume controls.

In case you add more MCL-based rooms, these will be dependent on each other, when you turn uo/down the volume there.

With a MCL2AV (and powered speakers/Beolabs) you then again would have a more independend volume control.

MM

pepps
                    • Kent, UK
                    • Topics Started 26
                    • Total Posts 127

Thought so, just wanted to know if I was missing something.

The McL2AV also has the benefit of extra local inputs so you actually can have an alternative source playing there while playing something else on the main system.

Hi Madskp,

Both yourself and MM are indeed encouraging me to get stuck in with the MCL2AV. I am lucky enough to have several of these after a very kind donation from a fellow Beoworlder @Foghamshire

Once my set-up is complete I will happily gift the remaining MCL2AV boxes on via this forum.

Julian

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds