Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Loudspeaker Technical Sound Comparison Table

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SimonWeir
    BRONZE Member

As a pure expanding my knowledge exercise, I have put the on sale range and older loudspeaker’s technical data into a table.  I was seeking to understand whether there is a sweet spot in driver size &/or whether new products steal from the parts bin and repurpose with new software.

What this has become has enabled me to play a game of B&O ‘Top Trumps’.

I was surprised at the grouping around certain sizes and power, plus how certain designs use full range instead of mids.

Enjoy, and I hope this is of use to others.

trackbeo
      Blocked

Nice, thank you!  *If* you were willing to take the extra effort, a “driver count” column for each driver size would be helpful for some future readers, even though it doesn’t relate to your initial question.  (E.g. the knowledge that Level is a stereo pair, or “how could BL18 possibly sound any good with just a 4-inch woofer” would be answered by your spreadsheet too.)  Again thanks.

SimonWeir
        BRONZE Member

Just for you trackbeo… Updated with Driver detail.

Also added Total Power, and Total number of Drivers to create a new column of Average Power per Driver.

£ for £ the A9 is the bargain of the current range!

Also Edge for raw power is so underrated for what it is now being sold for.

geoffmartin
          BRONZE Member

Just a small comment about the nomenclature…

Once-upon-a-time I wrote a blog posting about names like “midrange”, “full-range”, and “squawker”.

If you’re interested, you can find it here. However, the whole posting can be summed up in this excerpt:

If we’re going to be really pedantic – there’s really no such thing as a tweeter, woofer, or anything else with those kinds of names. Any loudspeaker driver can produce sound at any frequency. The only difference between them is the relative ease with which the driver plays a signal at a given frequency. You can get 20 Hz to come out of a “tweeter” – it will just be naturally a LOT quieter than the signals at around 5 kHz. Similarly, a woofer can play signals at 20 kHz, but it will be a lot quieter and/or take a lot more power than signals at 50 Hz.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.