Looking for help with repairing a BeoSound Century 2000

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    robert_glatzel
    BRONZE Member

Hey everyone!

First time posting here, made an account specifically for this post!

I have a BeoSound Century 2000 that I brought over to Germany from the US when I moved last year. Things were going great (using a transformer), until by accident I got the cables switched up during some rearranging, and plugged the BeoSound into the wrong outlet, sending a 220v current into the device.

It sparked and smoked from the bottom left of the device before turning off. (See picture of the component that caught fire)

Since then, I’ve replaced both the PCB (which was the piece that caught fire and was visibly damaged), as well as the entire transformer unit, both parts came from a 110v unit.

The problem is, the device still won’t turn on. I think I’m handy and can figure things out, but I’m really not sure where to go from here. Does anyone have any ideas on what else might be damaged, or what I could try to replace next or… yeah.

Thank you!

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      billbriscoe
      BRONZE Member

Have you checked the fuses on PCB 5, the power supply and motor control board? It’s located under the door gear sensor assembly. This is the board that is above the transformer, and is where the transformer wires plug in.

I would guess that at a minimum the fuses have blown.

Good luck, these are really great units!

Bill

billbriscoe
        BRONZE Member
          robert_glatzel
          BRONZE Member

Oh great!

Thank you for your replies!

No, I did not check that board, as I only saw the smoke come from the bottom left of the unit. I will take a look after work.

If I’ve replaced the transformer, the pcb in my photo, and potentially this piece, are there any other pieces that might need to be replaced?

billbriscoe
            BRONZE Member

It’s hard to say. Everything else is “connected” to the power supply board either directly or indirectly. There are some very sensitive parts that may have been damaged. If the fuses did their job you should be ok as they should have failed first, disconnecting power everywhere upstream. I would think chances are good that the fuses blew first.
              The fuses are soldered to the PCB and if I recall correctly you remove the back cover panel to be able to remove PCB 5. This can be a real PITA. You can visually examine it by removing the gearbox.

Take your time and go one step at a time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.