LG update to newer WebOS – question?

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions LG update to newer WebOS – question?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Millemissen
    BRONZE Member
      • Flensborg————Danmark
      • Topics Started 21
      • Total Posts 1,045

Now LG is rolling out the update of the OS for earlier tv models.

My C2 was offered the update to WebOS23, but I am not sure, that I want it.
      I hardly use the UI of the tv – just the tuner occasionally.
      Main source is an ATV, a CC dongle and the Blu Ray player (all connected to the BST).

Does it makes sense to upgrade – any downsides?
      What is your experience, if any?

MM

patcherley
      GOLD Member
        • Hampshire
        • Topics Started 12
        • Total Posts 56

I have updated my Eclipse, apart from the UI haven’t noticed any real difference, not sure I really like the new UI. But again I also don’t use the UI much at all, it I watch a TV programme I go straight there with the BeoRemoteOne short cut button.

Sandyb
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 1
          • Total Posts 379

I updated my panels – no issues.

Like most I barely use the webOS UI – though there is now the option to have the screen timeout / screen saver as a simple information window – clock and weather.

I actually enabled this – largely as the post update wizard shows it to you, so it’s a few clicks to enable – and actually dont mind it.  Just a black screen with a simple clock on it.

Otherwise, no issues with the update.

Sandyb
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 1
            • Total Posts 379

Just to add….while I did update both my rooms to the new webOS, I hadn’t used my main living room Theatre/LG setup after updating.

While my standalone bedroom Theatre/LG was fine with the new webOS, my living room setup seemed to lose the LG integration – example being all the internal sources were gone from the BR1 etc etc.

So I had to re-establish the LG/B&O webOS integration – which was a bit of a messy process, took a few attempts, but back to normal now.

Bit odd, I only had to do this on one of my Theatre setups.

Millemissen
            BRONZE Member
              • Flensborg————Danmark
              • Topics Started 21
              • Total Posts 1,045

Thanks for the update

‘….bit of a messy processtook a few attempts.’
              Which were these attempts – what did you have to do……..just in case?

MM

Sandyb
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 1
                • Total Posts 379

Guess its the same as when you first setup a BST/LG from new.

i.e. the B&O app page for the BST has the “Enable LG/B&O app integration” type banner / message.

The difference (compared to box fresh and new) was that my LG already had the B&O webOS app installed. So, what to do?

I forced the issue a bit, by deleting the webOS app and re-installing it.  The B&O app says to restart the TV when the app is installed, which I did but “integration” didnt take hold / re-establish itself.  I went round this loop a couple of times, and  then just rebooted the Theatre, which seemed to re-establish the integration.

I guess, once the integration had disappeared initially, I should have perhaps just rebooted the Theatre. Not sure deleting/re-installing the B&O webOS app process was necessary – but who knows.

Anyway, all good now.

Sandyb
                BRONZE Member
                  • Topics Started 1
                  • Total Posts 379

Another note to those who have updated webOS.

I noticed, after updating, that when using internal webOS apps the LG was passing PCM to the Theatre.  Observed this using Disney+ and Apple TV+ apps.

Never seen this before – prior to the update, internal apps were always passing bitstream to the Theatre.

Never looked at the Sound settings of the LG before, but when I did (Sound/Advanced Settings / Digital Sound Output) it was showng the Digital Sound Output set as PCM.  I reset it, in this menu, to Pass Through.    Everything then shows as expected (DD / DD+ / Atmos etc) in the B&O app.

What surprised me was that – using an Apple TV+ Atmos show – using Pass Through and allowing the Theatre to do its thing sounded a good deal better than when the LG was set to PCM.

Not a scientific sample I grant you, but did surprise me. Not relevant to those who only use an Apple TV box

Anyway, thought I’d share.

Millemissen
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Flensborg————Danmark
                    • Topics Started 21
                    • Total Posts 1,045

Ok – I think I’d better turn off the update.

Not in the mood for such a ‘messy process’.
                    My combo run just fine right now.

By the way – the tv did not offer the update yesterday by turning on.
                    Maybe it only happens a couple of times ?

MM

Severed_hand_of_skywalker
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Toronto, Canada
                      • Topics Started 8
                      • Total Posts 217

I did mine first day on My G2. No issues. No real point though if you don’t use the TV os. I sure don’t use it, still terrible.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions LG update to newer WebOS – question?

• You must be logged in to create new topics.