Issues Stereo Pairing Beolab 28s

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Issues Stereo Pairing Beolab 28s

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Olasitu
      • Topics Started 2
      • Total Posts 6

I have been trying for days to Stereo pair my Beolab 28s. I hear from others that this is a main issue. Please confirm. 1 speaker loses network connection as soon as pairing starts. The speakers are functioning individually.  I have verified the router is up to date. And the speakers have good internet connection on the same Wifi network. Really really frustrating. App has been reinstalled several times. Does this mean I really need an Ethernet connection to Stereo pair?

KolfMAKER
        • The Netherlands
        • Topics Started 36
        • Total Posts 209

I am not sure as I have never setup such system with new BeoLab’s. Nevertheless, maybe some questions and suggestions to think over.

• Did this setup work before (showroom/pre-owner), or is this a first install?
        • Did you try to reset the BeoLab’s to factory standard?
        • Did you try to reinstall or update the speaker firmware?
        • Did you try to change the order in which you connect and pair the speakers?
        • Did you remove the B&O configuration App from your smartphone, and than reinstall it again?
        Olasitu
          • Topics Started 2
          • Total Posts 6

Did this setup work before (showroom/pre-owner), or is this a first install?- This is a fresh install. Right out of the box.
          Did you try to reset the BeoLab’s to factory standard? – Yes I have reset several times.
          Did you try to reinstall or update the speaker firmware? Yes. Reset and upgrade ran several times. However after factory reset it didnt download software after the first software download. I guess it is checking version.
          Did you try to change the order in which you connect and pair the speakers? – Yes. Several times. The issue is that Once you select a speaker as primary the other speaker loses connectivity. Happening with both speakers. Sometimes the primary speaker proceeds to complete the stereo pairing with only 1 speaker !
          Did you remove the B&O configuration App from your smartphone, and than reinstall it again? Yes. I have done this several times.

Being at this for days. This is just horrible from B&O. Sonos costs farrr less than B&O and have totally seamless pairing. Come on B&O ! this is horrible. If Sonos can get this right what is issue with your software?

trackbeo
            • Topics Started 8
            • Total Posts 205

1) Yes, of course you should *test* it wired.  For the cost of one 20′ and one 40′ prepack Category 6 (or even Cat 5e, it doesn’t need expensive cables) you can eliminate all uncertainty as to software vs. [hardware damage + transmission failure].  If that fails, you just return them, full stop (and ask why your dealer didn’t deliver & set up your  $15,000.00-to-$18,000.00 speakers as part&parcel of the sale).

2) Sonos got issued a lot of bogus patents way too easily, but their original ones — for building & automatically maintaining a mesh network and synchronization among their zones — were real gems.  Versus B&O which must rely on the quality of the underlying Wi-Fi network.  Making your Wi-Fi network error-free may or may not be possible depending on where you live and what hardware you use.  But that’s where you go, next.  Another reason to at least try cables as part of the debugging process.  See #1 above.

3) There may yet be a B&O software bug responsible; recovery from transmission errors requires both high quality software engineering and a transmission channel that isn’t too frequently hit.  (And doing the pairing at all, though it sounds easy to you & me, still requires a fair bit of software.)  Or there may yet be a hardware bug, or some defect with your particular units’ Wi-Fi SoC or antennas.  (One might argue that debugging this isn’t your problem, but what price beauty?)  Cabling them up for a test gives you a baseline from which to work. See #1 above.

I agree with you that Sonos’ system software is way more developed than B&O’s.  B&O doesn’t even have a method (well, at least not customer-facing) to tell the units to report how well their transmissions (receptions, actually in most cases) are working.  But complaining about that and waiting for reply or updates is a fool’s errand.  Good luck, and please don’t forget to post once you figure it out!

Olasitu
              • Topics Started 2
              • Total Posts 6

Thank you @Trackbeo.

Setting them up via Ethernet is next. Good news is that both speakers are working well. Glorious sound. I could even stream to both speakers individually via Bluetooth. Double Mono :-). And each one has established connectivity to the Wifi network. The issue is the last leg of Stereo Pairing. As soon as pairing starts the primary drops its Wifi connection. Even when you switch speakers. The Primary will drop. I can monitor connections on the Router. So at least there is some consistency.

Nevertheless, the B&O app and overall set up experience is just horrible. These speakers are heavily marketed as Wireless but not sure how many people use them in full Wireless mode due to the limitations.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t do the dealer set up … I bought them overseas and shipped them with me in boxes on a recent trip to Germany. Would have been too risky shipping them assembled.

I will keep you all you all updated.

LeMirage
                • Topics Started 7
                • Total Posts 55

Does your wifi router transmit on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz with the same SSID?

try and switch off one of the bands in the wifi settings, it may help….

I have had numerous connections issues with my Halo, this trick fixed it for me.

Olasitu
                  • Topics Started 2
                  • Total Posts 6

Hi there … thank you for the feedback. Yes. I noticed the speakers connecting to different access points and different frequencies. I created dedicated Wifi networks configured for 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz. Same thing. Speakers connect successfully but the Primary speaker disconnects as soon as the pairing starts. I am on a Mesh network but I shut that down yet still a problem.

Olasitu
                    • Topics Started 2
                    • Total Posts 6

Update …. I tried all possible fixes for the Wireless/Wifi paring without success.

I have switched to the Ethernet connection. One speaker connected to the LAN and the other daisy chained via another Cat 6 directly. So direct Cat 6 connection between the 2 speakers.

System working perfectly! LAN connection appears to be a preferred mode in any case based on the manuals.

Next test is the PowerLink connection between the Speakers and the TV (LG C2) via a Hall Audio streamer. Using DIN/RJ45 connections between the 2 speakers connected directly to the Hall Audio via a PowerLink Splitter. I will post outcomes under another post not to divert the topic of this post.

chho
                      • Topics Started 0
                      • Total Posts 1

Hello

My situation is similar but yet different. After the latest firmware update, the wifi connectivity is no longer an issue. It’s now the stereo paring keeps dropping every now and then. From app’s connection status and “map”, both speakers seems to connect just fine.

Is there anyone having the same issue? Is there a workaround instead goring for the wired mode? I brought B&O because of wireless.

Thanks,

MVR
                        • Topics Started 0
                        • Total Posts 4

I’m in the same position: bought the B28 system to get rid of the cables about 18 months ago and indeed, the pairing works sometimes fine for a week, then it’s deteriorating and the secondary speaker doesn’t follow.  Full reinstallation didn’t help.  Wifi strength is fine.  I wonder if there’s anybody happy with the wireless solution. Conclusion: I will cable the primary speaker to the router and the secondary speaker with a cat 6 cable.

Severed_hand_of_skywalker
                          • Toronto, Canada
                          • Topics Started 9
                          • Total Posts 169

Be careful with Cat6 cables. I used some and it caused buzz’s and clicks. You should really use Shielded cat 7 cables to be safe.

MVR
                            • Topics Started 0
                            • Total Posts 4

Thanks for the tip. We’ll do.

MVR
                              • Topics Started 0
                              • Total Posts 4

Hello there, can anyone answer my question: when I connect the primary speaker with LAN and cable the secondary speaker to the primary one, will I still be able to stream Spotify from my mobile? Thanks in advance.

matteventu
                                • Topics Started 0
                                • Total Posts 56

Hello there, can anyone answer my question: when I connect the primary speaker with LAN and cable the secondary speaker to the primary one, will I still be able to stream Spotify from my mobile? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you will still be able to use Spotify Connect.

MVR
                                  • Topics Started 0
                                  • Total Posts 4

Good news, thanks a lot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds